Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrorism?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashdown2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Terrorism? Reply with quote

Hello,

As most people know, Egypt had major terrorist problems during the 1990's. How do you feel about the general safetly level these days?

I have decide quickly on whether or not to take a post in Middle Egypt 'Al Minya) for 6 months. There are problems between the Christians/Muslims, but I dont know very much about the current sitatuion...

What would you do?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that no one can answer that question. Things are usually fine there, but things have been bad in the past... and the future?

I don't expect that any danger is directed towards you, but you didn't mention the source of your NGO. Is it directly and openly connected to the US? That could make things stickier than if it is the UN. In the past, the violence was between Egyptians... but the US actions in the ME have changed the dynamics and possibilities.

As I said in your other thread, the key here is your employer and what kind of support structure that they provide for you and what the goal of your organization is. I love Egypt and have spent years there, but I have to say that this is the last place that I would choose to live. But my attitudes may be colored too much by the past.

The whole terrorism/danger to foreigners issue ends up being your tolerance to the unknown. We all think it can't happen to us, then you have a situation like last April when 4 Americans were injured in a bomb attack in Dahab. One of them was a teacher and a friend... and his life will never be the same again. But, even while he is still involved in reconstructive surgeries, he is eager to go back to his teaching in Cairo. His wife, on the other hand, feels that the possibilities of danger are too high now.

I would discuss the situation seriously with your employer. If they won't discuss it openly, I would give it a miss.

VS
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Terrorism? Reply with quote

Given Veiled Sentiments post regarding terrorism and western interests, how is AUC looked upon as a target?
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Terroism? Reply with quote

How safe is it these days to use the overnight sleeper train from Luxor/Aswan to Cairo?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUC is Egyptian run and 90% of its students and staff, and way more than half of its faculty are Egyptians. But, it does have an American curriculum and is US accredited.

I have to admit that it always has been something that is at the back of your mind... especially the old campus which was right downtown in Tahrir Square with no real way to completely protect it from an attack. So, I would have to say that thus far, it has NOT been thought of as a target. Ill'hamdulillah!

There was an attack on the street running parallel to the EFL classroom area some years ago, but it was an attack on an Egyptian minister by political foes. But as soon as I saw the photos on CNNI, I recognized the building and called friends. There were broken windows, injured people on the sidewalk, and the owner of a little kiosk selling cookies and snacks across the street died. But, no one connected to AUC was injured.

They are now in the process of moving to their huge luxurious campus outside of Cairo. I would assume that security has been part of the development plan.

VS
(PS... the trains haven't been bothered for years and even at the worst of the unrest in Assuit, I believe only once was the sleeper train fired upon with no injuries.)
LuxorHouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Terrorism? Reply with quote

Thank you, as always, VS, for your insight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: