Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! I need direction- it's contract renewal time again!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Help! I need direction- it's contract renewal time again! Reply with quote

I'm currently working at a k-12 in the middle of Turkey- it's pleasant enough, nicely and consistently paid, good hours, free rent, blah blah blah. However, I'm basically an overpaid babysitter as I am here to 'talk to the kids' rather than actually teach anything concrete. Since discipline is also a major problem, I find myself craving calm, intelligent, willing adult classes again! This leads to my main question now that my contract is up for renewal and I must decide this week: what are my options?? I've had a few interviews in Istanbul, but nothing definite yet. I have a BA in English and History, a 240 hour TEFL dip., and two years of experience with all ages. I would love to know if anyone could suggest schools that are reliable, friendly, devently paid, with good resources etc.

O, and has anyone worked for IH Istanbul? I've an interview coming up with them and am curious to know if they are as good as I've heard.
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Contract renewal Reply with quote

Hi
Like yourself I'm in Turkey and I spent the first 8 years working in a large high school full of crazy spoilt kids and a management who had no comprehension of the joy of urban warfare with the kids every day and discipline was just a word to them . Basically I got out, went to a uni,saved my sanity,decreased my workload,hours,stress,lost my accomodation and started paying rent.The kids are just older versions of the ones before but at least I have time to reflect (19 hrs as appossed to 28) and I generally can teach more and shout less,I may stay for another 9 years at least .
elena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: universities in turkey Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Question
Hey Richard - or anyone!
How would I find job links to universities in Turkey?
Or do I need an MA? I have a BA in English, a PB Teaching Certificate, a TESL Canada Level 2 Certificate, and several years experience. Would this do?
Elena
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: University website Reply with quote

Hi Elena
Sorry for the slow response my pc is on the way out my place in Izmir is currently recruiting try this website http://www.ieu.edu.tr they are conducting interviews etc this month and maybe next as well I think you will have to sort out your own accomodation but the hours are easy and yes you can teach here ,after all it is a university!!! Also my address at the uni is [email protected] good luck .
elena

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Razz Thanks for the info. Much easier than re-inventing the wheel. I sent them an enquiry. It's great how the teachers all help each other out. It is an education in iteself, reading all the forums.
elena
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: