Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment costs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Apartment costs Reply with quote

Just to give people an idea about apartments. I live in a nice area of Lima on the fourth floor and pay 410 soles, including water and electricity for a 40 sq metres apartment. Has one bedroom, a small kitchenette, bathroom, and living room. Completely unfurnished, we had to buy the water heater as well.

How much are you paying for where you live?
vin1127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What neighborhood are you living in? When i lived in Lima, i payed $375 for a 1 bedroom in Miraflores. Sounds like you have a really good deal there.

Vin
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Borja Norte.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Trujillo the average is $200 a month for a 2-bed apartment, furnished. Where I am I also pay 50soles a month to cover all the bills. One bed places are hard to find and tend to be very small and dark. There are rooms to rent in family houses for about 200 soles a month.

You can get cheaper accommodation but in less than desirable areas (ie not safe!).
pixierox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the rent similar in Arequipa? Also do teachers generally find their own accomodation? How difficult will that be with no Spanish ability?

Thanks!
vin1127

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Arequipa Reply with quote

Arequipa is a beuatiful city, i totally recommend it. The rent is similiar to Trujillo costs, i pay 175 dollars for a 1 bedroom in a nice area. Generally, when getting hired by a school they do not provide housing, but will connect you with a homestay situation, or dormatories with other teacher at your cost.
Well for day to day life, some basic spanish can go a long way, and will make your life a lot easier. But withiun the teaching enviroment spanish is not required nor recommended. I picked up a book before i moved to Peru, and studied for 2 months, and I am doing just fine with basic communication.
pixierox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! If you don't mind, what schools do you recommend in Arequipa? If I do move there, I'll definately try to get down some survival Spanish. Ever since I read about Arequipa I've been fascinated. It seems really lovely.
vin1127

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome, I would try to look for a job within one of the universities here, such as Universidad Nacional de San Agust�n de Arequipa (UNSA).
Yes it really is a very nice city, aside from the occasional tremor here and there Smile . Once I finish my cert course, i would like to stay and find work here.
SoCalPata

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: 2 bedroom apt in San Borja (near Aviacion/San Borja Norte) Reply with quote

I live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apt, with a kitchenette (tiny little thing, maybe 4 ft by 5 ft), and a living room. The master bedroom is about 8 ft by 12 ft, the other bedroom is about 8 ft by 7 ft. The living room is about 12 ft by 16 ft.

My friend and I pay $200 a month for rent and $30 for bills (water, electricity, cable). I pay $130 and my roommate pays 100 as I have the larger room.

I haven't looked at other apartments but I did notice that this was about right for San Borja as seen in the classefied ads in the El Comercio. I did see a three bedroom 1 bath listed for $230 in San Borja...so maybe I'll move when my 6 month lease is up. San Borja is a pretty laid back zone, and I feel completely comfortable here.
RyanS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Villa Maria and pay about 300 soles to help with the bills including food and everything.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Trujillo I am paying $200 a month for a three bedroom, three bathroom apartment. I also pay extra for all amenities and 24 hour security/gofer. That is in a nice safe part of town (ie - i feel comfortable nicking up to the supermarket on my own at 10pm)
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay 200 Soles a month for a small bedroom, partially furnished and utilities and cable included in Chorrillos. I didn�t arrange this price (my husband did & it�s a bit overpriced from what the family tells me), but you can find a small apartment for $100 dollars a month in this area if you look around or have a Peruvian friend or family member call for you so you get the right price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: