Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer teaching, anywhere but here...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Bowles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Summer teaching, anywhere but here... Reply with quote

It's been a while since I last put a plea for help on this site, so...

I'm looking for temporary teaching (4-8 weeks) in the summer- thinking about Spain or (further afield) China, Vietnam or Thailand.
Is it possible to get temporary 'normal' teaching during summer in these places- as opposed to a summer school? I worked at a UK summer school last year, and while it was fun in an exhausting way, I'd like to see a little of the country I'm in...
Any advice would be great. It's worth adding that I don't have a degree (yet, hence the limited summer-holiday timescale) but I do have a CELTA and experience.

Happy everyday,
David (in the UK, which seems to be marching to war...if apologising could help, I would)
Mariana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain definitely runs summer camps which employ people just for a few weeks at a time. You could check out the university jobshops for ads - I distinctly remember seeing a whole glut of Spanish summerjobs advertised about a month ago. (Although I have no idea if they are still there.) AES takes people on for intensive English courses in both summer and winter, although I'm not quite sure about the exact dates. Could be worth a try. I don't know about Vietnam or Thailand. You could try running summerjobs through one of the internet search engines. I've found a couple of summer jobs in my time that way. (Try www.summerjobs.com . I've no idea if this address actually exists, but it's worth a try!)
Yrs
Mariana.
MyTurnNow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Summer positions Reply with quote

Hi! There are tons of Summer gigs here in China. I know they are also available in Taiwan, Japan, etc. and I assume they are also common in the SE Asian nations.

Start watching the job postings here and on the other major ESL employment sites as well...as we get on into Spring the Summer listings will start to appear. I also recommend the "That's" magazine sites- http://www.thatsshanghai.com/classifieds/jobs/available.asp, http://www.thatssbeijing.com/classifieds/jobs/available.asp A lot of jobs are listed there that don't make the international lists.

I cannot recommend AES. Some people have had positive experiences with them; I did not and neither have a lot of others. They USED to be a good place to work... Their track records for fairness and teacher satisfaction have fallen off, and their full-time Summer programs are so intensive that you'll be too busy and/or tired for much of a life outside the school. I think they might have a "lite" version of the Summer program available now that has fewer hours but doesn't put much money in your pocket. But there are too many other choices available to mess with these people....

Good luck,
MT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: