Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Abu Dhabi University Reply with quote

I see Abu Dhabi University is advertising on Dave's. There's a very cautionary warning about the place in the JOb Information Journal dated Sept/03. Anyone there now who can tell us if things have changed.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read your comment I thought "Well, if you paid too much attention to the Job Info Board you'd never leave home". but then, when I read what the poster had to say about Abu Dhabi Uni, it did sound quite specific and credible.

As that wise lad Veiled Sentiments says, you're always better avoiding newly set-up places - join when the growing pains have passed.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Lassie Came Home Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,

"As that wise lad Veiled Sentiments says. . ."

Ah, I do believe you've misgendered VS, who is, if her postings can be credited, a "lassie", not a "lad".
Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again JohnS is correct --- I just looked and I'm still a female of the species. But, anytime someone wants to quote me in a positive way I'll take it as a compliment. Usually when people on this board call me a male is when they are accusing me of something scurrilous. Smile

I went and read that post on the JIJ about this new place and it sounds very grim.

VS
(I just noted JohnS subject line--- now how exactly should I take that one? a-hem---)
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Advertising during Ramadan Reply with quote

Sad
Can�t be good. READ DAVES JOB INFO JOURNAL.
Sounds very real, even like some new places in Oman i have
heard about...eeeekkkk...

Good schools don�t loose staff so soon after they open for the
school year...eeeekkkk...

don�t do it...
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Lassie was a Laddie Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments

"I just noted JohnS subject line--- now how exactly should I take that one? a-hem---)."

Oops, didn't mean to imply any derogatory ( or should that be dogatory? )
meanings there; as you can see, I've altered the subject line slightly. Besides, as is well known, Lassie was actually a Laddie:

" Unlike Rin Tin Tin, the dog that the world would know as �Lassie� was trained and groomed for the silver screen. But Lassie is unique in another way � the world�s most famous collie is perhaps the world�s most famous female impersonator: Lassie was a male, and his real name was Pal. In fact, all of Pal�s descendents who played Lassie were male as well. Male collies were preferred for the role because they tend to be larger and more outgoing than females. "

Ah, and by the way - this is NOT to imply that you're a "female impersonator" - doggone it.

Regards,
John
shebab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information posted about this place in the Journal, while specific and discouraging, comes from only one person. Don't make the mistake of judging a place without at least trying to get a more representative sample of experiences (if at all possible). Anything else constitutes fallacious reasoning! Embarassed
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: ad Reply with quote

It is difficult to make judgements based on info from one person
I have been around the EFL scene for long enough to be wary of:

1. Nasty employers

AND

2. Weird teachers who are not in touch with our reality

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, that message is from only one person. But when I read a story like that, I think - if this is only half true or even a quarter true - do I want any part of it?

It goes back to the basis of what Cleo mentioned of my basic theory - avoid new places. This sounds way too typical of so many new institutions. In a couple of years, they will hopefully have most of the problems ironed out - and - you will have more employees with experiences to share. That way you can hear from both positive and negative posters and hopefully be able to decide which of them are the weird ones.

VS
(who will now roll over and play dead--)
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: exactly Reply with quote

That's exactly what this thread is trying to do...find info from more than one person to see a true representation of the situation.

New places generally do need to be taken with large grains of salt...see College of the North Atlantic in Qatar.

No, don't believe everything you read.

I spent a large number of very happy years in Yemen despite grave warnings that I was about to be kidnapped, shot, Al-qaedad, or hooked on qat.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hmmph. I am very interested in the position advertised because I'm interested in computer-assisted language learning.

How new is the university? When was it established? Has anyone heard any other stories about the place? VS is right on two counts: this IS only one person's report we're talking about BUT it is also wise to be cautious about new establishments. On the other hand, it can be exciting to get in on the ground floor of something new and exciting...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

I think courses were supposed to start this semester, and I assume that this would mean mainly English courses to start prepping them for academic English. (purely speculation and that is how it sounded in the message on the JIJ - and that tends to be how these things go)

New places can be fine for people with a high tolerance for disorganization and experience enough to be able to help rather than hinder the situation. At the rate these new colleges are starting up all over the Gulf, this may be a growth area that teachers might want to specialize in. Very Happy

If you are interested in teaching and technology, have you considered Zayed University? If you have an MA and experience, they use computers extensively in all classrooms (every student and teacher has a laptop) and have one of the best pay and benefit packages in the Emirates.

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

I've applied to several places in the Emirates, but I'd prefer a university. What you're describing at Zayed sounds ideal, but it's a bit early yet, I think, to be getting replies.

I've been teaching for ten years or so and, um, well, let's say that I've seen disorganisation before. Simple disorganisation doesn't worry me as much as out and out hostility. Wink
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

I do apologize!

My crappy computer left out the 'y' in 'lady'!
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: But Y Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,

"My crappy computer left out the 'y' in 'lady'"

This is frightening news, indeed. Our computers are now capable of performing s e x - change operations upon us. Beware.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: