Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Schools Foundation Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: English Schools Foundation Hong Kong Reply with quote

Has anyone taught for the English Schools foundation in Hong Kong? I recently saw an advertisement for teachers and they advertised the salary as $372, 264 HK. This works out to be roughly $72, 000 CAN. It sounds too good to be true. Are there any hidden fees or hidden requirements written into this salary?

Also, if anyone could give me a rundown on what working conditions in Hong Kong are like that'd be good.

Appreciating all the help I could get.

Esol
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not really that great of a deal. You would be getting about 30K HK a month and that is a standard salary for most international schools depending on your experience. The NET program can pay more if you have the qualifications. 30K does not go that far. You can save but you will have to get a small apartment or share. Rent will be the greatest cost you face; but walking out the door costs money in HK. But it is still a good salary and you could save 10K a month or a little more if you didn't do too much travelling.

The international schools are now hiring. I see their ads in the Saturday papers.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too worked for ESF in Hong Kong, and I would agree with Scott. Then again, there are not that many jobs available in HK, so if you want to do a meaningful job in a vibrant and relatively open city, go for it.

ESF originally catered to expat kids and they followed a British curriculum. This all makes for rather professional working and you might appreciate this. But it is hard work, many kids (an increasing number are locals now) are spoilt brats who come to school by taxi, have nannies prepare their school bags and when they forgot to put a certain book in their bag it is not the student's mistake.

The ESF has come under some flak of late due to its hiring policy. It seems to have been engaged in poaching good teachers from other schools. This was unethical because they get a government subsidy to keep the tuition fees lower. This may now have been addressed in that your salary is lower than other might get.

I personally felt the ESF is still being run as a typical British-only outfit, with old boys still tugging and pulling the strings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: