Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sending money home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: sending money home Reply with quote

Hi, maybe Kent or Rogan can help me with this. I am thinking of returning to Moscow in January. I have a few debts I will need to pay off after I return. Is there anyway to send money home(Australia) to cover my ass while I am in Moscow. They are pretty small debts but need to be paid. Sad
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: banking in Russia Reply with quote

Hello DownUnder donfan:

In theory you'll have no problems making a bank transfer from a bank in Moscow to a bank in Australia ... especially in Moscow, where there are quite a few foreign and international banks to choose from. (including Alpha Bank, Citibank, MDM Financial Group & Moscow International Bank)

When you arrive at Sheremetyevo airport, just be sure to fill out a customs declaration, which clearly states how much money you're bringing into the country, and get it stamped. Even if you're bringing in less than $10,000, it's wise to have an official customs declaration in your pocket. Some banks can be anal about doing transactions abroad if you don't have it.

Also be sure to write down and bring along the 'international bank number' for your bank in Australia --- each bank has its own unique international identification code, and you'll save time and hassles by knowing it, and presenting it to the bank in Moscow when you're making your transfer.

Best wishes,

kENt

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
donfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kent, much appreciated.
Zolushka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much easier if you bank your money here, either in rubles or dollars, get a Visa Electron or Maestro card and take your money out when you are in Australia in AUD. Less bank charges if you choose this method.

Should you decide to do a bank transfer, any bank will cost you USD$30 in fees, plus you'd need to show where you got your dollars from.

If you have less than USD$3000, then you won't need to worry about doing any transfers!

Good luck!!!!!!
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent and Zolushka are correct.

It is possible to send money to other countries from Moscow Banks - but it is expensive. It's hardly worthwhile if you are sending less than $1000 each time.
A card transfer system is better - as Zolushka suggested.

And all the forms are only in Russia.

You need some 'excuse' for sending the money out too - a favourite was "paying school fees for children"
Zolushka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way is to buy travellers' cheques, write your name, name of your Australian bank, sort code & its address plus your account number at the back of each cheque. And exchange your USD travellers' cheques into AUD when you get to Australia. Should your cheques go missing, they'd get banked 'automatically' because of all the details you have included, even without counter-signing the cheques.

Russian banks do not require any official evidence where you have got your cash from, be it USD, RUB, GBP or EURO.

Well, good luck once again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: