Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Cairo - Rusty Celta grad needs reviving!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamannf430

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Newbie in Cairo - Rusty Celta grad needs reviving! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, (assalamu alykum)

This is my first post and I needed some advice from genuine people who can help.

I am moving to Nasr City - Cairo in August/September'07 and will be looking for part-time work. I will be a studying Arabic somewhat full time, however need a little finance booster to make things a little easy.

My main concern is that I have a Celta which I have very little experience with (only 3 months). I completed this a few years ago and never had the opportunity to teach and travel until now. Advice from a few friends already resident in Cairo is that I should contact schools from UK first.
However I feel a little hesitant until I polish-up the Celta. Is that a good idea?

Also, how do I reactivate my Celta skills without actually teaching? Should I just go through my old notes? Is there any good books? Any other ideas? Question

Please note I�m not looking to amazing salary at a prestigious University, just a decent wager to cover my rent, which shouldn't be more than �200 uk pounds pcm. Exclamation Just one extra note
I am a practicing Muslim and look pretty much like a scholar/cleric rather than a teacher. Yes that means I wear Muslim dress and have a fairly long beard/turban etc. I don�t know whether this will make any difference to any posts I apply to, but its good to know. Exclamation

My experience working for Arabs in the past has somewhat been a little strange due to mixed feelings about my appearance.

As for my other work experience is: I am a proficient Graphic Designer HND not BA), Computer Technician (4 years), Have taught I-T at secondary school level (many moons ago). Iam very sporty and love agood game of badminton! I am a family man and pretty much focused and organised. A native speaker with English as first language - London accent.

And lastly if there is anyone who would like to email privately please feel free: [email protected]

Many thanks and peace to all.

Muhammad
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am headed to Cairo myself in just a few hours.

You might think of posting this also under the Newbies section (not just in Egypt section) as this part of the Forum is quite slow, and the rest of the bunch can give you some ideas.

I think teaching is the only way to review- why not start by giving a few private lessons until you feel ready to jump in with the full-time classes?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muhammed:

I think there are private schools that will hire a CELTA cert holder (rusty or otherwise) but it's not part-time work typically, and these schools tend to be the less desireable employers. Also, most schools that hire foreigners like them to look like "foreigners". The beard, turban...it's not common sight in the streets of Cairo and not an image that most private schools prefer to put out when they're trying to attract Egyptian parents. Even my husband (an Egyptian Muslim) who was interviewing a newly converted American man for a job at a health club told him that the beard communicated an image that the company did not want to put forth to its customers. It's just food for thought. In this predominantly Muslim country, a man wearing "Muslim" attire might actually experience prejudice as a result. Try sending your CV to Islamic language schools, but again, they'll typically want a full-time employee.

You might do well on privates, but earning 200 sterling a month (2200+ LE) will require a good bit of work. ILI in Heliopolis (not far from Nasr City) offers English classes still(I think). There's the British Council, also. I want to say that most people who teach 'full time' ESL (25 hours/week) would be earning around 3000-3500 LE. In order to get to 2200, you'd be teaching a lot. We've seen other posters on this site who struggled to find regular ESL (non-private school employment) work in Cairo that they can support themselves on, so be forewarned.

As for brushing up, I would get a couple 'practical' books out on the market that you can use in lesson planning. That should help refresh your memory, since the books encourage the communicative techniques you would have learned about in your CELTA course.

Good luck to you.
hamannf430

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Ive found work teaching ESOL here.

Will try and delay my Egyptian interest until I get somewhat
stronger.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: