Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy way to cross Cambodia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandinista445

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Easy way to cross Cambodia? Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip through South East Asia, and I have a question regarding transportation through Cambodia. I'm wondering if there is a safe and easy way to get across Cambodia (from Vietnam to Thailand) other than flying?

I've read that train travel in Cambodia is dangerous. Is there a safe alternative? Is there a bus line that crosses the (tiny) country? I might stop for a day or so in Cambodia, but the main destination after Vietnam would be Thailand.
anospi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to cross from Vietnam to Thailand, and you *might* spend a day or so in Cambodia?

Have you ever heard of Angkor Wat? Do you have any idea what Phnom Penh's nightlife is like?

Hmm, forget it. There are buses. They're easy, safe and cheap. Or you can get the boat up the Tonle Sap. The train only goes as far as Battambang, and that could take days. But you do get to sit on the roof.
TravellingT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anospi is right - there's so much to see in Cambodia. Angkor Wat is not to be missed. I travelled through SE Asia a few years ago and I took a minibus from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Pehn and then took a boat to Siem Riep and then another minibus to the Thai border.

If you're only 'thinking' of spending a day there you're better off flying right to Thailand from Vietnam as sometimes the roads can be unbearable. They often pack you into minibusses so tightly that you would prefer to be in a sardine can and not to mention that it can be incredibly dusty at times. I had orange dust in my ears, up my nose and all over my body - it goes through your clothes.

Enjoy your travels.
marklatham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: cambodia Reply with quote

Some good advice there from the bros.
At present roads in cambodia are shocking,"road" is a very kind description of most of them.
I flew from bangkok to siem reap and then flew to PP.The bus to kep and kampot was a shocker,but I met a lovely young girl who was the bus girl's friend just along for the ride.
The road from kampot to snooky was under construction for half the way but still pretty good,the rest was a good toll road.
The worst ride was snooky to koh kong which included four major river crossings on dodgy ferries-what an experience.
But the country all in all-AWESOME.
PS worst road is up bokor mountain.
ecalpemos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cambodia Reply with quote

To combine two of your replies here, when I travelled from snooky to koh kong some of the dust(read; mud, rainy season had begun) stuck to my t-shirt. No surprise! the surprise is that the stain is still there after three years! Nothing will get rid of it.
Camwanader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to cross Cambodia? Reply with quote

sandinista445 wrote:
I'm planning a trip through South East Asia, and I have a question regarding transportation through Cambodia. I'm wondering if there is a safe and easy way to get across Cambodia (from Vietnam to Thailand) other than flying?

I've read that train travel in Cambodia is dangerous. Is there a safe alternative? Is there a bus line that crosses the (tiny) country? I might stop for a day or so in Cambodia, but the main destination after Vietnam would be Thailand.

Two weeks ago I took ( 6 hrs.)coach from HCM city cost US$12.00 to arrived at Sorya bus station in Phnom Penh to stayed overnight for they have only 3 trips to Poipet in the morning at 6.30 am,7.45am and last one I could not remember,the fare is US$ 7.00 and spent 8 hrs to reached Poipet then took a motortaxi for THB 20.00 to border to stamped my passport at both immigrations and walked across the border ,toktok from border town to main station cost THB 80.00 and from Aranyapratet main station to Bangkok Mochit main station is THB 190.00,some coach selling at THB 212.00.

HTH.
nomad50

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy and convenient to get to the Thai border from Phnom Penh. If you merely want to cross the country, forgoing Angkor Wat, then by all means take the bus (it's actually a van) from the Central Market to Koh Kong.(travel agents sell tickets to Koh Kong) The ride is about six hours, and crosses four rivers by ferry. At each ferry stop, you get out and mingle with the locals, eat, have a beer, take photos of the beautiful countryside, chat with the vendors, etc. It's great fun. Koh Kong is one of the best kept secrets in Asia. Since Angkor Wat is in the NE, and Poipet is close to Bangkok, virtually all visa runners and backpackers head there. The border town of Koh Kong is quiet and placid, a great place to spend a couple of days just relaxing. You cross the border there, to Ban Had Lek in Thailand. The border-crossing is hassle-free. A van leaves about every half hour for Trad, where you can pick up a bus to points west, including Bangkok. I've made the trip a dozen times, and loved it each time. Have fun!
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anospi wrote:
Or you can get the boat up the Tonle Sap.

Exclamation The river boats that run between PP and Siem Reap are operated by different companies on different days...so a round-trip ticket purchased from company "A" may not be honored by company "B" for the trip back...buy a one-way ticket for the trip on the morning of travel.

Just a little tip from someone who experienced this! Surprised

Idea With all due respect to my fellow TEFLers, I suggest that you get your updated travel info/advice from a travel site such as the fantastic Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forums:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: