Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer schools in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have CRB cert, it is like gaining another qualification except it has to be regularly updated. the objective seems to be that we will all update certification or an advanced version of it ourselves just to keep our employment possibilities viable.

Of course, good schools cream the best teachers first. if a contract has been forwarded, signed and returned by email it is possible to secure summer staff well in advance of need with a well paid offer to obtain a guaranteed commitment, the first offers of EAP in tertiary went out a while back.
The rest of the field should soon start to worry... and realise that word of mouth from last year's teachers will not be sufficient to recruit this year's staff... and for some reason last year's teachers seem not to be interested in working for them again... and perhaps we should think about recruiting with an ad in the local rag...and oh! the CRB well we won't have time to do that will we?

The other option is that schools/employers stop paying for the service and oblige the employees to pay for their own, as already happens in some places, or face unemployment.
On a side issue this should be tax refundable as it is a necessary part of employment therefore justifiable an obligation which one cannot avoid in order to exercise ones profession
I am sure there will be certain schools, as yet nameless, who will be 'obliged' to hire staff 'on the day' as 'casual' and avoid the hassle this way.
This is the alternative to being organised and spending money to be so. I suppose it is pointless hoping that an example might be made, by the CRB police, of one, or twenty, of these offending and offensive 'schools'

Plus ca change...
Dipso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher at a UK summer school I worked at was sacked for making a pass at a 15 year old girl. Oh, what a fun few days that was on the campus! The company's response was to ban all teachers from drinking alcohol, either on or off site, with room searches threatened. No matter that the guy in question was actually sober when the pass was made.

Given that the teachers were all working 12 hour days six days a week and earning the princely sum of �180, drink was the only solace we had.

Never again!

(Until the next time)
Looter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the previous responses...

Now a few more names to throw at you all:

What about Accent English?

They have centres in Reading and Bradfield College... as well as British Council accred, they look ok so far, but have any of you guys worked for them?

With TWIN group, (for Robski) was it the overall organisation that was fubar or the particular centre that you had placement in?

Hmm I think that's all so far...

Any help appreciated...
caramel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Blacklisted?? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm considering turning down a job offer from a summer school because it starts a day after I arrive from teaching abroad and I'll be absolutely knackered. Don't ask me why I accepted it in the first place, I think it was a spur of the moment decision. They said they're going to send a contract soon but if I do say no will I be blacklisted? I've heard a rumour about that happening from other teachers. I'm looking at other summer schools which start at a more reasonable time but I don't want become notorious as THAT girl who turns down jobs after saying yes... Rolling Eyes
Robski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF are okay. My experience with EF was always fine - I did several summers with them and as summer schools go, they were not too bad. London can be a challenge, though, because of the pressure on rooms, classrooms, space. Doing residential can be good but the accomodation won't be the best. Outside London, Brighton for example, you might have a better time of it.

But whatever you do DON'T touch Lewisham-based TWIN.
moosickboy1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of an American ever getting hired at any of these camps?

Currently I teach in Prague, but summer is the dry season here for work and so I was hoping to do a camp to save a little money.

Have you ever known a camp to hire Americans? This would seem to involve either the camp helping to sponsor a visa, or working "under the table."
wulfrun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading these horror stories - 14 hour days, bad teachers, disorganisation - makes me grateful for the place i worked last year, and will probably be working at this year. 30 hours teaching, 350 a week, professional set-up.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ moosickboy1

The question of Americans getting work permits in Europe comes up a lot in these forums, and the general consensus seems to be that while it's technically possible, few schools will bother to jump through the bureaucratic hoops when they can employ the Brits or Irish with no fuss.

If you are working legally in Prague, I don't know if that gives you the right to live and work elsewhere in the EU - does anyone know?
magelarocque

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an American, you will need a work visa to be employed in the UK
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you are unlikely to get one. Find someone who has a UK passport and an NI Number but is currently working in Utter Slobodistan. Use his/her name and NI number.

Then wait for the authorities to catch you.
Augustus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone worked for LAL or had any experience of them?

Thanks

Aug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: