Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what jobs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: what jobs? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone - I lived in Kuwait for a couple of years quite awhile back and would like to return. Also also looking for jobs elsewhere in the Gulf and especially in Saudi Arabia.

Here's me in a nutshell:
    American woman, 52.
    B.A. in political science from Amherst College.
    Licensed paramedic with supervisory experience.
    Four years as a full-time substitute teacher at the secondary level.
    Over five years as a medical transcriptionist.
    CELTA certification with ink not yet dry.
Do any potential employers spring to mind? Ideally I would like to teach medical ESP, and I would be great at that, but I am increasingly realizing what a long shot that is. Teaching secondary school would be very nice. Could also help with SAT/TOEFL prep, or copywriting/editing work (a bit of experience with both).

I worked for Kuwait Airways as a flight attendant for a couple of years, and would go back to them in a heartbeat... that was a very sweet situation to be in. Yes, I know they were recently advertising, but I am afraid that job is gone (I did email them, though).

Any other ideas for me without an M.A.?

I am grateful for whatever help anyone can give.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPETQ OR QUALITIAS are your best bets - both are crap, but it's a foot in the door of kuwait

the better more established school will want certification and SAT prep go to certified teachers who win a knock down fight for such (competition is fierce for that one, babe)

you could get into a second tier school or get an emergency vacancy at any school
have you also tried the new corporate kuwait
alghanimcareers.com
agilitylogistics.com
if you've had any hard corporate experience
either would be the only places in kuwait who would appreciate an amherst degree....

there's always csa.com if you like 48 hour week s and daily security checks and waits....

pm me for more if your wish
also aljeezera.com (the greyhound of the skies) is based in kuwait
Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15yearsinQ8 wrote:
IPETQ OR QUALITIAS are your best bets - both are crap

Hey, 15,

What's your definition of "crap"? I've worked for both and I agree Qualitas is crap when it comes to salary, but TQLS (IPE is no longer a part of the company) have raised their salaries and they're giving a pretty nice bonus at the end of a year's contract. They've also moved their company housing to a new building in Hawally.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worked for ipetq back closer to 2001.....
i was asked to take voluntary and immediately effective unpaid leave three times (this was apparently before the changed the contracts to say 'unpaid leave can be imposed anytime')... i refused
on one project, i received accolodates on a superior job performance and given a plaque by students and their company which was delivered to ipe management and presented to me by ipe management. under 60 days later at another project, ipe (at the beheast of the other project's company) 'officially counselled' me on inferior job performance although little in my performance had changed.
also i hate working for anal retentive brits and draconian management styles
they were and are crap
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amity
You might try BITE Kuwait (British Institute of Training and Education).
Ask for Rosemary LLoyd. You won't make a fortune but it was a decent organizition.
Good Luck
Rommel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15yearsinQ8 wrote:

also i hate working for anal retentive brits and draconian management styles
they were and are crap

I don't know where the "applaud" icon is, but suffice to say, I'm applauding right now. Laughing In my previous post I meant to imply that TQLS had improved their salaries and company housing, but I'm sure nothing else has changed. I did a year stint with them in '03, and had a similar situation as you, dealing with the director (MOD edit).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: