Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Fair salary ? Whats the situation ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samanthawray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: A Fair salary ? Whats the situation ? Reply with quote

I haven't taught in Turkey before , so I don't know what a "fair" salary is or if all schools are feeling the pinch economically.
The school I might be going to (there is another thread on it )initially said that the salary would be in dollars....now they are saying that they will give me half in sterling , and the rest in Turkish currency. Any advice ? Is this the way all / many schools are going at the moment , or is it worth kicking up a fuss ? They know that I have been offered jobs in other countries , but this may not be much of a bargaining tool if ALL schools are in the same boat? So , are their hands tied?
I guess I will kick up a fuss......but want to know the situation in Turkey anyway! Thanks for your help. Evil or Very Mad
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: A fair salary Reply with quote

Hi Sam
A fair salary depends what comes with it ,if you get paid in a mix of currencies other than T.L consider yourself fortunate ,most of us don't and in addition no other perks are offered like housing,flight tickets ,bonusetc,etc, so although other countries are falling over themselves to over you a job you came here for the sun and fun didn't you??
We do seem to sell ourselves short or other less qualified people come and take the jobs we do for a lot less because they don't know their worth or they are worthless either way we lose out.I think a fair salary should not be less than a grand in dollars or the T.L equiv and should be reviewed at once during the academic year,thats just the salary,other extras you get are exactly that extras. Whereever you work in this country your employers and collegues need to be made aware that your general living expenses and needs are higher than theirs and should be reflected in your pay check so when they fob you off with what they think you need to get by it ain't enough until you have being here for a while you won't begin to see the wisdom of getting the best deal you can .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: