Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Ripped Of By Turkish Shoeshine Man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Teacher Ripped Of By Turkish Shoeshine Man Reply with quote

This is a warning to all foreigners. If you go near the shoeshine men outside Sirkeci station you may get ripped of ! Make sure that you agree the price in writing before the transaction and have it countersigned in front of a notary. Otherwise you may end up paying far too much.

This is dreadful and I feel an assault on my civil liberties. I am thinking of taking leagl action against this monster who overcharged me ! It is proof positive that the sole aim of all Turkish males is to profit from me and other ghostly and gullible foreigners.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was going to put out a word of warning about the kebab sellers on Sivas Street here in Attaturkburg. If you don't read the fine print on their signs, you might not realize you get ayran and a sweet along with your doner. Some of these unscrupulous swarthy heathen Turks have been known to rip teachers off by only giving them only the doner and charging the full 700 000 TL!! That's almost 50 american cents! I have reported a few of them to the human rights commission but it may prove to be a long haul.
misterkodak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Vigilanteeism Reply with quote

I have been ripped off a total of one time by a shoe shine guy in front of besiktas Iskele about 3 years ago. much to my chagrin the cingine took off with my 5 million tl as I proceeded to cuss him in 4 different languages and bash his shoeshine stand and bust what few bottles and brushes he had in his kit. I guarantee you it probably cost him 2-3 days work to replace the damage I did. The funny thing is that there was a cop there the whole tiem watching me do this. I bet he thinks twice about playing with yabanci.
Betty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: selfish *beep* Reply with quote

This is to the guys complaining about getting ripped off. You people make me sick! Big deal getting ripped off 50 cents! So you have to show off your manly egotism by smashing his livleyhood? get a grip, there are more important things in life to think about.
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their complaints are tongue-in-cheek, a reaction to our friend ghost's complaints. Smile
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty, Betty... was it not horribly obvious how deeply lodged into our cheeks our tongues were! Obviously you are new to the Turkey forums...
Very Happy Honestly, 700 bin is not exactly something to fret about (mind you, if it were a million I might cry!).

Iyi bayramlar, y'all, even you cranky uptight ones!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: