Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Mexico without a Bachelor's ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gqsmoothie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Teaching English in Mexico without a Bachelor's ??? Reply with quote

I am very interested in going to Mexico in the fall and attempting to find a school to teach in for 6 months. I am going to be completing an online ESL course, I also have 43 college credit hours in no particular area. I would be getting an FM3. What I am wondering is if it is very difficult to land a job in Mexico without a BA?
Thanks!
The Old Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are schools that will hire you without a BA and there are others that won't. Apparently some Migracion offices require a BA and others don't. Generally speaking, schools that require a BA pay better than those who don't. Of course there are exceptions. This is Mexico.

There is at least one chain of schools in Mexico, Harmon Hall, that will hire you with no BA and put you through there own month-long, unpaid training program. They are located all over Mexico.

That is something you might seriously consider, or at least attend a school that prepares you (somewhat) for a class room. I haven't taken an online course so I don't know, but realistically, how well could it prepare you for the realities of the classroom?

It's one thing to know your grammar inside and out. It's quite another to be able to teach it to someone else who doesnt speak your language. Classroom experience is crucial.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Mexico on an online cert Reply with quote

Allow me to interject...

You won't have any trouble finding a job without a BA...like the Old Gringo notes, some immigration office need it, others don't. As well, some schools need it, others don't.

Don't even bother with Harmon Hall. You can't live on what they pay.

My bigger concern for you is your online cert. With that, your options may well be limited to Harmon Hall. Without a practical teaching component, or experience in front of students, you will likely not find a position in Mexico that pays more than 4 usd per hour.

Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Harmon Hall wages Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't even bother with Harmon Hall. You can't live on what they pay.

- Guy Courchesne

I'm sure in some parts of Mexico, Harmon Hall schools pay on the low end of the scale compared to other schools. However, here in Merida, Harmon Hall's hourly wage is about average for language schools. Most local language schools in this city currently pay between 40 and 80 pesos per hour. Local HH schools were paying 55-60 pesos per hour the last I heard. City government EFL teaching jobs are currently paying 40 pesos per hour. One of the large private schools is paying its foreign language teachers less than 40 pesos per hour. The state university pays less than 60 pesos per hour, but it provides lots of benefits that other local schools don't have (health insurance, paid holidays, vales, a decent aguinaldo, etc.) and it has nearly zero turn-over of EFL teachers.

I might add, too, that the local Harmon Halls (2 schools) are among the very few schools in this city willing to employ untrained, inexperienced, short-term, foreign teachers. I'm not promoting HH schools and have no connection with them. However, for certain people wanting the experience of teaching and living in Mexico, I wouldn't rule out Harmon Hall as a possibility.

Best wishes,
B.R. de B.
Smile
dan allan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: MEXICO WITHOUT A DEGREE Reply with quote

You can find work in DF w/o a degree. It also has the best pay. If I can provide you or anyone else with some general useful info, email me and request it. I have 4 years here. I also would't bother with HH in DF. Outside, it may be viable.

DAN.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Harmon Hall Reply with quote

Y'know, I've discovered that here in Acapulco, like Yucatan, HH is on the higher end of the pay scale. Strange how it works. It's still low by DF standards, but that's what they all hate Chilangoes for right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's still low by DF standards, but that's what they all hate Chilangoes for right?

- Guy Courchesne

I suspect that's just one of many reasons! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: