Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Quebec, Canada?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opalessense

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Teaching in Quebec, Canada? Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering, how is teaching ESL in Quebec like? Can anyone offer any tips to how I can begin my search and how the job conditions may be?

In addition, has anyone heard of the companies Affaire d'anglais, and Anglais Vertuels?

Thanks!
Magdusia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: esl in Quebec Reply with quote

I live in Qu�bec and lemme tell ya, if you are an anglophone looking for part-time work it's easy to find a job. A lot of students who are here to learn French work as teachers, and when they leave at the end of the semester there's always some vacancies. You'd do well to have a BA or at least some sort of post-secondary certificate, and of course a fairly good knowledge of the English language. This is a very white francophone town, and there are a lot of people who need English lessons. The biggest problem here is finding enough hours to work full-time, unless you work at several schools. If you have a car, you'll get more hours simply because clients can be anywhere and there's only so far that you can go on the bus.
If you're looking for schools, look under "�coles de langues" in the phonebook (or an internet phonebook).
Affaire d'anglais is well known, there's also Bouchereau, which also has offices in Montreal and Toronto.

Good luck Wink
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my Tefl Cert in Montreal. One of my professors remarked that local ESL teachers must have low self esteem to work for such paltry wages. I think the going wage is $12-$20 per hour. Higher rate involves travelling to client companies on your time.

There is money to be made in the French school boards BUT you must pass a written French competency test and have a teachers licence. My ex gf did not pass the French test although she speaks fairly passable French.

If you have a Masters or better, TESL qualifications and experience, the language schools attached to the universities pay something like $55 per hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: