Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marathon Oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Marathon Oil Reply with quote

Marathon Oil,Equatorial Guinea....any info?I've got an interview.
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them, but good luck and let us know how you go. I'm interested in those types of jobs in Equatorial Guinea myself.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: oh well Reply with quote

Had what I thought was a good interview,but didn't get the job.Very surprised.12 hour shifts,42 on 21 off,compound with pool etc.Gutted really....could have done the job in my sleep.Oh well........
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Biffinbridge, you at least proved they do more than just post these mythical EG jobs. Funny how we never hear about anyone ever hired there.

Come on, let us know what it's like.
basiltherat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. Signs of life out there from EG.
On another point. Biffinbridge, you mentioned that you would have been able to do the job in your sleep.
I would guess that if (and I stress .. IF) you had made that obvious or gave any indication of that to the people at the interview, that that could have contributed to you not being accepted.

Since it would be a 12-hr working day (and my guess is, one wouldn't be actually training for that length of time. Perhaps 6 hours teaching and the rest preparing etc. Anyway, yud know more about that), I would guess that they would appreciate someone who was going to occupy those non-training hours fully committed to preparation and the like.

I have seen many examples of those teachers / trainers who could do the job with their eyes closed (and they really could, no kidding !) spending allotted preparation time getting into all kinds of skullduggery, backstabbing and generally getting miserable and bored which can affect overall functioning of the program.

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, referring to you as being such an individual but i do think recruiters have to be careful not only to recruit those who can perform the job (whether in their sleep or otherwise) but also to hire those who are going to be able to deal with the environment / circumstances that exists there and keep themselves busy.
Just my thoughts
Best
Basil Razz
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: sleeping/teaching Reply with quote

I didn't mean it literally and I certainly didn't imply that in the interview-it's just that having done the Libya gig,this was heaven in comparison.
12 hours shifts 6 days a week.6 contact hours a day the rest of the time preparing,report writing and acting in a supervisory role.Using 'Headstart'.Salary starting at 200 quid a day gross.Nice flat, pool, club house etc.It sounded just like the Q.P. experience repeated but with students who wanted to be there and home more often.It is a good job.
I was keen as mustard!!Good luck to 'em.One of the men who interviewed me had been there 9 years and there are only 6 teachers..go figure.
kirez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: 9 years in Eq Guinea? Reply with quote

In what capacity had he been there 9 years? Oil-related? How can that be? Teaching English? Also doubtful.

I just sent in resume & docs applying to this job through WoodGroup, no response yet.

I can't fare well in a mosquito environment though --- the only aspect of the job that is potentially negative enough to turn me away. I'm attracted to traveling in the area, Gabon and Cameroon, and some water recon off the coast. (Because of an unusually high metabolism, and really dense muscularity, my body heat is higher, and mosquitoes are drawn to this ---- put me in a crowd of a hundred people and the mosquitoes all come to me. It sucks big time.)

Did you have a machine to do laundry in Libya? I'm sure it sounds a nutty question, but maybe you know it's relevant...
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: washing Reply with quote

In Brega there was a laundry service and it was the same in the desert.Smalls were hand washed though.No mozzies, so you'd be ok.
cummings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Wood Group Reply with quote

As I understand it, The Wood Group recruits for 4 different entities in Equatorial Guinea. The conditions and personnel involved are different for all of these entites. ExxonMobil has been in EG since the mid nineties so it is entirely feasible for someone to have worked there for over nine years.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Group offers me an interview in London for EG. They say it's four weeks on, four off, $59,000 a years plus rotation tickets home and even food. I bet the weeks go by fast...
kirez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh N Bake wrote:
I bet the weeks go by fast...

HA! I'd take you up on the bet, except I don't want to add to your suffering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: