Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of Schools in Costa Rica
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: List of Schools in Costa Rica Reply with quote

Here is a list of schools in Costa Rica, originally posted by NatureGirl321 on the General Latin America Forum back in 2003. I'm sure quite a bit of the information is probably out-of-date now, but it might be a good source to start with for an English-teaching job search for C.R.

May I suggest that we keep this thread active by replying to it in order to update the info about these places and any other schools worth mentioning?

COSTA RICA

List of schools. http://www.strayreality.com/dir_education.htm (NadineD)

Heredia. Golden Valley School.
[email protected]

Heredia. Butler Academy.
[email protected]

Heredia. Intercultura.
www.spanish-intercultura.com

Heredia, Butler Academy Christian Larsen, Academic Director
[email protected].
+506 237-9736 / 375-3102 (mobile)

Heredia. Sarapiqui Conservation Learning Center. Ing. Paula Fern�ndez P., Assistant Director (pollitatica)
Chilamate de Sarapiqui
Tel: 506.766.52.12 Telefax: 506.766.6482
www.learningcentercostarica.org
[email protected]
*Volunteer position*

Heredia. Golden Valley School.
(BA in Ed, 2 years experience,
[email protected]
Telfax 506-268-6248

Atenas. Su Espacio (pollitatica)
www.suespacio.org
*Volunteer position*

Linda Vista, Effortless English (pollitatica)
[email protected]
*Volunteer*

Guadalupe and San Jose, New Learning Center, Flor Rojas (pollitatica)
[email protected]
Possibility of receiving work permit, bring police report from your municipality.

San Jose. Idioma Internacional.
www.idiomacr.com
[email protected]

San Jose. Whittemore de Costa Rica
(Business English. Minimum uni degree, TEFL cert and 2 years experience. $6-7 an hour. 8-20 hours per week.)
http://www.reachstars.bravehost.com/
[email protected]

San Jose. Instituto Britanico
www.institutobritanico.co.cr/ing/index.html
[email protected].
[email protected]

San Jose. Universidad Latinoamerica de Ciencia y Technologia, John Brown.
http://www.ulacit.ac.cr
[email protected]
(College degree + TEFL cert preferred. Up to one year contract only)

San Jose. English to Go Ltda, George C. Thiess
(Native speaker with university degree and TEFL cert)
[email protected]
John Hall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Another list of school in Costa Rica Reply with quote

For an even longer list of schools with information up to 2005, check out this link:

http://costaricaclassroom.blogspot.com

Look for the entry for January 15, 2007.
Miyazaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John Hall!
LaRoche

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of schools provided by John Hall, posted on the "Costa Rica Classroom" blog has been invaluable to me in my search for ESL opportunities in Costa Rica. Thank you!

I am particularly interested in schools outside of San Jose. Are they really that far and few between? Does anyone know of any good private language schools on or near either coast? I have found tons of Spanish Language schools (for foreigners) in these areas, but hardly any schools of English.
JAppleby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaRoche, are you in Costa Rica now looking for schools, or are you searching online? I hope to find a school in Alajuela or Heredia, and I only found a few schools online in those places, although I would think there would be more.

I did get e-mails back from Victory Institute and Butler Academy (both in Heredia) asking me to stop in when I get to Costa Rica, so try looking up those and see what you think.
LaRoche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JAppleby,

I'm in the US right now...searching on-line. I'm trying to set up some interviews before going to Costa Rica in March. I'll be in CR for 2 weeks and hope to secure employment while there. If everything goes well, I'd like to return to Costa Rica soon afterwards and begin teaching by May 1.

Are you planning a job-search trip to CR as well? When are you looking to move there?

I have heard good things about Heredia. While it isn't the beach, I think (for me personally since I don't do well with big cities) it would be more livable than SJ. I've also contacted Butler. I haven't heard about Victory, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Good luck with your search
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Heredia now is just an extention of San Jose. Nevertheless, some people consider it to be more livable than SJ.

Just an update about ULACIT. The Director there now is Jimmy Hernandez, not John Brown. Jimmy's email is [email protected] Hiring usually only occurs before the new semesters in January, May, and September.
JAppleby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaRoche,
I'm hoping to go down to Costa Rica March 15 (although it may be a couple weeks after that, depending on when I can get my school stuff wrapped up). I have a place to stay when I get there, the host family that I lived with three summers ago, and they have said I can stay as long as I need to. So I'm just going to see if I can find a job once I get down there and start as soon as I can. I'm leaning toward Heredia because it's smaller, and it's closer to Alajuela (where my host family lives) than San Jose.

Good luck!

By the way, here's the website for Victory Institute:

http://victoryinstitute.crtimes.com/

I don't know much more about it than that; here's what it said in the e-mail reply I got:

We do charge our students, but since our School is not a high school or University the courses are called free courses since students don�t obtain a college degree after finishing. Students pay a low fee and study 2 or 3 hours a week, just to learn English as a Second language.
We pay our teachers an Ok amount, not too much not too little. Ok for Costaricans.
John Hall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay for Costa Ricans usually means not good for foreigners!
LaRoche

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying with your host family sounds like a nice set-up. Maybe you can find a language school in Alajuela. I think I remember seeing a school or 2 there while surfing the internet. (Just looked at my spreadsheet though and don't have any schools on my list in Alajuela - or maybe I ruled them out and they never made it to the spreadsheet!)

Wrapping up school stuff? Are you teaching now?

I'm definitely excited for my trip to CR to check out schools and get a feel for the country and culture. I had high hopes for Heredia and I'm a bit disappointed that it's turned into an 'extension' of SJ. I had heard that it was a quaint and beautiful colonial town. Guess I'll have to see for myself.
JAppleby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my Master of Arts in Education--I did my student teaching last semester, and now I'm writing the research paper that goes with it. It's hard to do when all I can think about is Costa Rica and the fact that it's 15 degrees out here in St. Louis! Wink
John Hall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has anything more to add to the list? Sad
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's New Learning Academy, not Center. And the person you'll be talking to there is Mario, not Flor. :) I'll put up more when I can find it..
John Hall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ole,

Have you or anyone else got any more information worth posting on this thread about schools in CR?
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hall wrote:
Have you or anyone else got any more information worth posting on this thread about schools in CR?

Just bumping this thread up again. Somebody must have something that they can say about a school that they are working at now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: