Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA Job application
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: CNA Job application Reply with quote

Hi to all.

I have been reading this board since 2000 and this is my first posting. I've seen a great deal of discussion and informative ideas here. I also have learned how to recognize, and glean over the rants.

Having established myself as a true lurker and silent observer, here's the situation and question(s).

The CNA competition for EFL instructors ended on Mar 30th. Does anyone know how much time may elapse before phone interviews or some kind of contact may occur?

Can a CNA teacher/staff 'in the know' comment with respect to the following...

Is it realistic or likely I may get an interview with this education/experience:
BA Social Science (Major Geog, Minor Urban Morphology - Cdn Uni.)
BHonors Linguistics(S. Africa uni.)
CELTA(Barcelona)
6 years documented overseas experience teaching EFL in Korea, Taiwan and Spain.
Also...6 months of designing, presenting and BETA testing a university pronunciation course (Rhodes Univ - S. Africa)

My concern is I have no MA yet, although I am presently embarking on an online MAAL with a uni. in Australia. I did not mention this point in my cover letter as it is just an intent as far as a recruiter goes.

Passport is from Canada -NS is birthplace. I understand this may not be in my favor as The Rock's place of birth is favored.

I've read through all the postings on this board regarding CNA. I've also perused and absorbed Qatarliving's CNA related posts on that board. CNA certainly looks super.

I presently enjoy a respectable and positive work environment in Taipei now but the main reason I want to leave Taiwan is because of the periods of prolonged cloudiness.

I need a new trench to put my trunk.

...afterthought...as I reread my post, it appears I roam the globe too much to be considered stable. Will that be a strike against me on CNA's point system for new hires?

Regards,
Trunkshow

Last edited by MyTrunkshow on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you haven't heard from them already, you won't.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats.

I thought I'd at least get an interview.

I researched and then wrote a decent resume. (...so I thought....)

Is there anyone out there who might have a tip on CNA's hiring system? I recall reading it is a point based assessment.

I had hoped I had at least an interview nailed for all the nights I spent on that resume.

Sigh, looks like I'll stay under cloudy Taipei for another year.

Regards,
Trunkshow
hakbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: You have a good chance! Reply with quote

MyTrunkshow!

Apparently CAN-Qatar is presently looking for several candidates for August 2007 intake due to the large number of students they are getting from Qatar Petroleum. Re-apply again or call them if you are a Canadian citizen, you seem that you have the qualifications that they are looking for.

They interviewed during TESOL Arabia and they need more teachers.

Go ahead!
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: You have a good chance! Reply with quote

hakbs wrote:

Apparently CAN-Qatar is presently looking for several candidates for August 2007 intake due to the large number of students they are getting from Qatar Petroleum. Re-apply again or call them if you are a Canadian citizen, you seem that you have the qualifications that they are looking for.

Sounds hopeful and optimistic. I, too, will take your clairaudient tone to enjoy a few more weeks of fantasizing about getting into the desert. I lived in a hot climate before. I love mornings the best about such hot dry climates.

I had actually mixed two questions into my original post which seem to have been ferreted out by the responses.

1. The closing date for apps. was March30th. Reply #1 suggested too much time has elapsed.
2. Are the qualifications adequate that I presented? hakbs suggests they might suffice.

I've not considered re-applying for a job before. That is something I might do in this case. Might CNA still be in need of fresh carcass for this September?
Mulling over this job has basicially put a bee in my bonnet, you see.
I suspect a phone call is in my future. Hopefully, the CNA recruiters are not non-plussed by potential new hires dragging their lobes to the ear piece of the phone?

Regards,
Trunkshow
hakbs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get in touch with them again, they interviewed teachers in March, some accepted the offers initially, then got offers from other institutions and, to my knowledge, are in the period of turning down the job with CNA-Q due to their lack of interest in:

1) Qatar as a boring place
2) Teaching ESP is not what they want to do.

Go ahead, try again and if it doesn't work for September, they will be looking for candidates in January.

Do not give up!
Hannibal_the_Conquerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Be patient Reply with quote

Hi,

I was in the same boat last year and I didn't hear till mid May and didn't have contract in hand till late June. I have friends who have only just recently received confirmation (positive and negative) on their status.

As for your birthplace, it is not a huge issue, as there are many non-Canada born teachers at the CNA, but accents may work against you, although I could be wrong.

Good luck!
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Accent. Reply with quote

Thx Hannibal_the_Conquerer. You raise a point about accents. I have been tempted to note on resumes "North American" accent to indicate I am a native speaker. I suppose I could just say "Native English Speaker" too. I'm not sure whether that would appear precocious or too self-assured/pushy. I'm after that interview and I would put in on if it would help. I s'pose I could also say 'Place of birth; Nova Scotia.'

My understanding is that the recruitment is done from St. John's. Are you in a position to give a heads up as to what curveball questions might be thrown my way? I recall I was once asked to do a teaching demonstration without preparation. I was told the class was Japanese adults and their English was beginner. I had to teach the difference between 'It is raining.' and 'It rains.' I found that very difficult without being supplied prep time.
I didn't pass the interview.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
hakbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

There will be 2 interviews, the first one lasts about 10 minutes (phone) and they will ask you about cultural shock, how long are you willing to stay in Qatar? Why do you want to join us? Normal stuff! In the meanwhile, they will listen to your accent!

Then another interview will come where you will have to learn about ESP (English for Specific Purposes) because that's what they need for the time being!

Please remember that this kind of teaching is really different from the one you are used to it in Taiwan or the Far East in general. Therefore, get ready!

Oh by the way, if you pass the first one, they will ask you to send them your original transcripts, passport copy and other documents. It is a long process.

Overall, the problem with CNA-Qatar with ESL/EFL teachers is that once they get the job, start teaching and living in Qatar, they do not want to honour that 3 year contract. They are having hard time to keep qualified Canadian ESL/EFL teachers to stay that long. The majority of them, do one to two, save as much as they can, then move on! I understand them
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Gentlemen; H the C and hakbs Reply with quote

Lard tunderin' geesis, yous 2 bys a' bin a godsend Exclamation

I'm going to give the recruiting ladies a call today.

MyTrunkshow
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: CNA Job application Reply with quote

"They are having hard time to keep qualified Canadian ESL/EFL teachers to stay that long. The majority of them, do one to two, save as much as they can, then move on! I understand them"

Why is that? Is it because the teaching is mind numbing?
lukey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: cnaq Reply with quote

not sure where the mis-information is coming from. The vast majority of EFL teachers at CNAQ stay for the full three years - some have been here five years.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: CNA Application update Reply with quote

I called the HR office in Newfoundland. I spoke to a lady there who gave me her name and fax number as I indicated I was missing a document. She will attach the faxed document to my resume. We even discussed my basic qualifications and lack of an MA. She is the person who is looking after the job apps/resumes.

What a nice, sincerely helpful, bunch of people at HR there.

The sorting of applications has not yet been completed. Therefore, for those who applied for the ESL instructor positions, (March 30th cut-off date) resumes will be reviewed at some point soon. As the HR person said, "I see the stack of ESL teacher applications and have not got to them yet."

People who have heard from CNA regarding the job are people who did not send in their applications for the specific posting with the March 30th cut-off. Perhaps a conference or other hiring route was pursued by the applicant.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: CNA Application update Reply with quote

MyTrunkshow wrote:
I called the HR office in Newfoundland. I spoke to a lady there who gave me her name and fax number as I indicated I was missing a document. She will attach the faxed document to my resume. We even discussed my basic qualifications and lack of an MA. She is the person who is looking after the job apps/resumes.

What a nice, sincerely helpful, bunch of people at HR there.

The sorting of applications has not yet been completed. Therefore, for those who applied for the ESL instructor positions, (March 30th cut-off date) resumes will be reviewed at some point soon. As the HR person said, "I see the stack of ESL teacher applications and have not got to them yet."

People who have heard from CNA regarding the job are people who did not send in their applications for the specific posting with the March 30th cut-off. Perhaps a conference or other hiring route was pursued by the applicant.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow

Thanks. Could you PM me her email address and name?
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Hiring Reply with quote

I made a call today. Bascially, no news about my app. However, no news is good news according to some authors.

Mytrunkshow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: