Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GHQ Project at Fujairah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tipo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: GHQ Project at Fujairah Reply with quote

I have just received a tentative offer from IAT at their Fujairah campus to teach in the GHQ project starting in August. I would like to hear from teachers who are currently located at the Fujairah campus and in particular, from folks teaching in the GHQ project to share their experiences both, good and bad. I have been informed that the students are 18-20 year old military cadets. In particular I'm interested to know the following:

1. How many teaching hours are you expected to teach per week?

2. Is there a curriculum or course outline in place?

3. What classroom resources are available?

4. What is the level of the students and their motivation like?

5. The Housing Allowance I've been offered is AED48,000 a year. Is this enough to cover rental for a 2bdr room apartment?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

tipo
Carlos1915

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: GHQ Reply with quote

hey there,

I work within the GHQ program in the UAE.

In response to your questions:

1. 24 1 hour classes usually in 2 hour blocks
2. There are some books like focusing on ielts and cutting edge. However, they are not that helpful as most students are band 1 and 2 in IELTS. We pretty much have the freedom to teach what we want which is great. They have a general practice ielts test once a month.
3. You will have access to computer labs, projectors, photocopiers, laptop and scanner
4. 48,000 should be enough to cover your accommodation.

Although GHQ has its fair share of problems, the students are generally well behaved and upper management is quite supportive.

The only negative thing I would say are the hours are a tad much and class sizes are over 25. There is a shortage of teachers doing GHQ.

Good luck.

Carlos1915
tipo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: GHQ Project at Fujairah Reply with quote

Hi Carlos1915,

Thank you for your informative response. Your answers have have been most helpful.

tipo
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: GHQ Reply with quote

Hi, tipo. On a related item, read up on some of the MLI threads on this board and see if you even want to work for GHQ. They were the most God Awful group I ever worked for and as a TV judge in the States says, "I wouldn't believe them if their tongue(s) came notarized!" Just a warning.

NCTBA
Carlos1915

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for a company like HCT might be the best way to go or finding work in Qatar. Also, you might want to consider contacting other recruiters like CFBT and Nord Anglica.

Never Ceased to be Amazed is being a little harsh of GHQ. The campus I am at has a great DOS and Director so I'm happy with senior management at the school. You have to also consider that the GHQ project has been running only for 5 or so months so we still A LOT OF stuff to sort through.

You also have to consider that GHQ has a working relationship with the army so there are going to be teething problems (e.g. setting a 4.5 ielts score for students who are mostly band 1 and band 2). Figuring out the ideal syllabus and certification is going to take time.

I probably won't ride out my three contract with IAT GHQ but I am willing to give them a chance.
tipo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: GHQ Project at Fujairah Reply with quote

Hi Carlos1915,

Just a quick question. Are you teaching at the Fujairah campus?
Carlos1915

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Can't really say as we are not meant to talk about the ghq on a public forum.
Send me a personal message and we can talk more if ya want.

Carlos1915
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: