Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TASP for Dummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
English-4-Israel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: TASP for Dummies Reply with quote

Your TASP primer:
>$8000 up front, non-refundable, graduate students dropping out like flies. Those who paid believed they'd walk out with an MA and a suitable teaching position but never did.

Many left disappointed, many felt cheated, and were powerless to do anything about it because of a waiver that each participant had to sign.
The more students who dropped, the more money was pocketed by the couple (read the other posts)

Stay clear of this "program". If you want an MA, I suggest getting it from your home institution and get your TESOL certification from another body; it takes less time anyways.
English-4-Israel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: watch out Reply with quote

TASP also sends out 'recruits' with buoyant dispositions and beaming faces in order to seek out fresh unsuspecting students. It's a shame that this program had support from the Jewish Agency.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading over the Israel forum, I have a hunch you guys do not recommend tasp Smile
MwalimuMsafiri

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Recommendation Reply with quote

I don't know when the first poster was a part of this program, but I am currently in my first year of TASP, and I would definitely recommend it. I have learned alot in the university classes. They involve lots of reading but are also applicable to the classroom teaching. My teaching placement has been excellent. The teachers are supportive. The students love the opportunity to interact with an American. Of course there are logistical issues to work through... but no program is perfect.
tasprefugee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as Mwalimu says above, "no program is perfect". Sadly, though, the ESL world is full of scams that are close to perfect and TASP is one of them.

The husband and wife who run the sham play just loose enough with the truth to pull it off while always keeping their behinds covered with a pretense of legitimacy.

They know the ESL world is full of as many gullible souls looking for opportunities as there are scam programmes ready to take advantage of them. All the scammers need to do is wait, collect their money (nonrefundable), get those waivers signed, then make their victims think they're getting something for their money in the form of a shoddy programme with minimal support.

Hey, and to the credit of some of those gullible folks, they really do believe in what they're doing and probably do some decent work in their schools and with their research.

But this is despite the programme, not because of it.

The people who do well in TASP are probably the kind of solid folks who'll do well anywhere. TASP manipulates them, too, by parading them around and taking credit for their success.

Everyone deserves better, though. Sadder, still, is the fact that the ESL market in Israel is probably too small to provide for any real competition to TASP. That's what's needed, though. Someone needs to start a real programme, a decent programme that does things right, treats people well, and does things the way they're supposed to be done in order to put TASP out of business, or force the Danks to change their procedures for the better.

Anyone with some loose change wanna start something like that? I'm game...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: