Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aristotle - The "Mother" of All Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Aristotle - The "Mother" of All Teachers Reply with quote

Hello EFL Forum People Cool

When I read this quote today, I felt suddenly inspired to post it here.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
- Aristotle
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Aristotole... Reply with quote

...Yawn.....Yawn
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Hello Mr. Doors! Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. Doors Cool

How nice of you to 'pop in' on my little post, thus ensuring it stays up near the top of the board, where countless more millions will now be lulled into the sleepy-but oh-so-wise World of Aristotle!

As usual, it's always good to read your witty, insightful commentary.

Regards,
kENt

PS: In the subject line of your reply, you misspelled Aristotle. Twisted Evil
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: CALLing all teachers Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
Don't feel too bad. My post asking for comments about CALL labs got exactly NO responses - zero, zilch, nada. Not, it seems, either a popular or interesting subject. But your quote makes me wonder - isn't it begging the question then, of WHY we " act rightly " ( if, indeed, we do )? And, is there a " universal standard " for " right action "? There you go - now, if you have any comments about CALL labs . . . .
Regards,
John
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Oh..Well.. Reply with quote

Why not the "Father of Teachers"?And I would not pay too much attention to "doors".He can't be bothered with niceties like spelling.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Mommy, Daddy Reply with quote

Dear bnix,
Well, I could be wrong, but I suspect the " Mother " usage was prompted by Saddam's (in)famous " Mother of All Battles " remark. Anyway, " Mother " or " Father " might be inappropriate, since Plato preceded the " Master of Them That Know ".
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: "Inquiring minds demand an answer!" Reply with quote

Hello Bnix and Johnslat Cool

Johnslat is right. My choice of "mother" was figurative, based on that now famous "mother of all battles" phrase coined by Mr. Hussein.

Of course I know Aristotle had a weenie. Twisted Evil

I suppose the underlying inspiration for posting this quotation in the first place came from that spate of earlier posts on dating students and professionalism.

When I read the above quote for the first time, it just seemed obvious to me that this was the 'icing on the cake' with regard to all of those "ethics & morality" topics. In other words, actions speak louder than words. I hate like hell to paraphrase Aristotle, but I think that was his main point, and I would have to agree with him.

On that note, have a nice day! Laughing

RegardsAsAlways,
kENt

PS: Sorry, John, about the lack of replies to your CALL lab post. Here in Russia, a CALL lab consists of something like this: "Hey Vladimir, the phone is ringing!"
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think it is amazing the insight the greek philosophers had. Was it Socrates or Aristotle that said the unexamined life is not worth living? Does anyone no the verbatim quote? I like to use it with my students.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: The moderately examined life Reply with quote

Dear arioch 36,
It's in Plato's Apology that Socrates states that the unexamined life is not worth living. On the other hand, the overly-examined life isn't much fun, either. Moderation in all things, you see - another Plato/Socrates quote.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: for Arioch36 Reply with quote

Hello Arioch36 Cool

Here is the quote you were asking about, in context:

"Some one will say: Yes, Socrates, but cannot you hold your tongue, and then you may go into a foreign city, and no one will interfere with you? Now I have great difficulty in making you understand my answer to this. For if I tell you that to do as you say would be a disobedience to the God, and therefore that I cannot hold my tongue, you will not believe that I am serious; and if I say again that daily to discourse about virtue, and of those other things about which you hear me examining myself and others, is the greatest good of man, and that the unexamined life is not worth living, you are still less likely to believe me. Yet I say what is true, although a thing of which it is hard for me to persuade you. Also, I have never been accustomed to think that I deserve to suffer any harm. Had I money I might have estimated the offence at what I was able to pay, and not have been much the worse. But I have none, and therefore I must ask you to proportion the fine to my means."

And here is the link to Plato's Apology, for a rainy day. Shocked

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Plato/Apology/
arioch36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent, Thanx

Chris
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Spelling Reply with quote

A typo is a typo,examine the proximity of the letters o and l on the keyboard....duh?Have a nice day..ha ha ha.... and don't forget,excellence is a result of habit,so is being a wanker.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: to beep or not to beep ... Reply with quote

Dear itslatedoors:

I do strive to be consistent. Laughing And I have taken your thoughtful advice and carefully examined the proximity of the letters "l" and "o" on my keyboard, and you are absolutely correct!

Ahh yes, "to *beep* or not to *beep*, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous EFL commentary, or take arms against a sea of negativity, and by opposing, end it? To die, to sleep; No more! ... perchance to read a positive post from itslatedoors..."

Ok, I've decided: Laughing *beep* *beep* to you too Exclamation

RegardsAsAlways,
kENt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: