Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pregunta...buena vida en sevilla

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squangela

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: pregunta...buena vida en sevilla Reply with quote

my husband and i are currently living in sevilla. i am looking to teach or do bar work. i was looking for recommendations about places others have worked or know of, since the city is so big, we have to start somewhere and the paginas amarillas are a bit overwhelming with all the listings.

btw.. both of us are fluent spainsh, licensed and fun as hell. Shocked

thank you y gracias.
red

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be difficult to find teaching work in Sevilla, particularly at this time of year. I was there just a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the number of qualified TEFL teachers out roaming the streets (literally!) in search of work - evidenced by the desperate little "Learn English with a Native Speaker" poster adverts attached to every bin, billboard, post-box and recycling unit in the whole damn city, near enough! I even saw one which read "Free English Lessons." I kid you not. I half considered going myself - I could use a little grammar instruction. Very Happy

I think your best bet is to scour the yellow pages (tedious though this may be) and pay a visit in person to any language school you are interested in, armed with your CV. The over-abundance of TEFL teachers means that many schools do not even need to advertise a position - they already have a pile of CVs to pick from.

This situation may improve in January (start of the new term). But I wouldn't bank on it.

I don't know about bar work, but all things considered this might be easier (and quicker to get) in the short term. You can keep your eyes peeled for teaching work at the same time.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Try Barcelona Reply with quote

If you get desperate try Barcelona...
There's lots of jobs now that this big chains closed down, small schools have more students and all the teachers I met found jobs.
MolsonCanadian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EU passport but am not TEFL certified and I don't have teaching experience, what are my chances of getting a job in Barcelona?

cheers
Molson
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend on your personality and if you can actually teach or not,how you approach schools etc.
And a bit of luck too..
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Teaching without qualifications Reply with quote

You sound like perfect Berlitz material. That's assuming you don't mind working long hours for low wages.
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Try Barcelona Reply with quote

gsbcn08080 wrote:
If you get desperate try Barcelona...
There's lots of jobs now that this big chains closed down, small schools have more students and all the teachers I met found jobs.

I'm job hunting in Madrid, but I'm curious to know why the big chains closed down in Barcelona and apparently not elsewhere. Confused

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Wall Street and Opening still open in Madrid? I thought they had closed everywhere in Spain. Oxford closed all their schools in Spain for sure. By the way what is the hourly rate in Madrid? I heard is much more than in BCN.
MolsonCanadian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Do you guys know if it would be relatively easy for an EU citizen who doesn't speak Spanish too well to get a job in another line of work in Madrid or Barcelona? I'm thinking something along the lines of bar/restaurant work. Thanks

Molson
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an Irish or British bar yes no problem but pay is bad much worse than teaching English. I know a few people that do it to get some extra cash.
There's lots of Irish bars in Bcn and new ones opening all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: