Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Turkey again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: In Turkey again Reply with quote

I will be in Istanbul again soon. Alas only for a day, but i always get something out of my visits. I use Istanbul as a staging post on my travels from the Gulf to my Dacha in Eastern Europe.

Istanbul is an amazing city but............................

I am not sure that I would want to live and work there .

Comments............................?

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuck in the Gulf I feel nothing but jealousy. I have to wait until Eid(Bayram) for a break, and then only for 4 or 5 days
Byzantine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: In Turkey again Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Istanbul is an amazing city but............................

I am not sure that I would want to live and work there .

Comments............................?

I'd definitely have to try and convince you otherwise. I taught in Istanbul for two years and loved it. The people are great, the food is great (until you hit that certain point where every day you feel like "didn't I just have the same thing yesterday?), and the Bosphorous is unbeatable.

Granted, there are some negatives. I always found it difficult to get out of the city (easier if you have the cash to fly or to hire a car). It's not always the most efficient place, either Laughing

Scot47, your location lists Various Provinces of the Ottoman Empire. Well, if you're at all interested in Byzantine and Ottoman history, Istanbul's the place to be. Constantinople's alive and well, just takes some searching.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Byzance Reply with quote

The Imperial Capital is fascinating but as some viziers might have told you, it can be a dangerous place to work ! The centre of power is always dangerous. And in any case my wife would not let me !

I will stick to working and living in the former provinces, and visiting Byzantium three times a year
Byzantine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: dead end job Reply with quote

Quote:
The Imperial Capital is fascinating but as some viziers might have told you, it can be a dangerous place to work !

Ha! True enough. I swear, each vizier must have said the same thing... "Yes, I know all of my predecessors have been murdered, but I'll be the one to buck that trend."
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you get a different pespective when you live here. Visiting as a tourist I was awed by the crumbling ruins, mosques and hustle-bustle of the streets. It was a very appealing atmosphere.

Now I've lived here for five years, in a regular district, it's more pot-holes, rubbish and traffic. As anywhere will, once you get used to a place the romanticism wears thin. Istanbul's still not a bad city to live in and I know many things I'll miss when I leave - being close to the sea, the slackness of the regulations, the moderate climate, etc.

Mike
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Terrorism in Istanbul Reply with quote

The insane violence of the Middle East is now spilling over into Istanbul. The day after I left Istanbul 20 people were reported killed in attacks on two synagogues.
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about half a mile from it and thought there was another earthquake. I don't know if that wouldn't have been easier to accept.... Herkese gecmis olsun.
Byzantine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: more bad news Reply with quote

I've just seen the news that there were more bombs in Turkey today. This is absolutely horrible. I hope you are all well.

Sad
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above. I just got back from work and saw the carnage on tv. Gecmis olsun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: