Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karlsruhe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Karlsruhe Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have a possible job offer in Karlsruhe for early next year, and am wondering if anyone on here is living there. What's the city like? I've been looking online, and have found some nice info, but I'd really like to hear from someone who might be living there.

Thanks!

Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: germany Reply with quote

The deep recession in Germany means that there are not so many jobs. And jobs in English teaching are not always for native speakers !

If you can find a job I wish you luck, but you may find that you are the only native speaker teacher in Karlsruhe, but there will be other foreigners and some of them will be native speakers of English.

Karlsruhe is a nice but rather sleepy town. Isn't it the seat of the Federal German Supreme Court ?

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I already interviewed for the company back in August for a job in Erlangen. While they knew that I could do the job, they chose the other person they interviewed for that particular position. However, they told me they would contact me in case another position became available.

They contacted me on Thursday and said that while they haven't got a firm offer yet, they are discussing with the company they contract to the need for an additional English trainer--there are 4-5 Native English trainers already there. They wanted to confirm that I would be available so they could go to the company and say "Look, this is the person who we have in mind for the new position".

I'm not giving specifics because I would like this job for myself.. Smile The pay is very good (ca 2000 Euro in hand/month).

Yeah, I suppose that Karlsruhe might be a sleepy town (ruhe is, after all, part of the name!), but I'm sure it's a bit more lively than Sosnowiec.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I was invited to an interview earlier this year for a job in Karlsruhe. It was an in-company type position at a big German techy company. I had a few concerns about the job itself and living in Karlsruhe didn't really appeal, so I withdrew my application. Saying all that, the Black Forest is nearby I believe and it sounded OK. That job was offering 2600 euros.

If this sounds familiar, pm me for more details (nothing negative, just my story). If it's a different job, all the best.
Ferne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where youguys are coming from with the term "sleepy". Karlsruhe is not Berlin or Hamburg, that is for sure, but it's not just any little place either. It has quite a few fun things to offer to those who don't go around complaining how "sleepy" it is (to me, sleepy would be something veeery different) Wink
I personally think it would be a nice place for Germany starters! You've got the universities, the punks, the culture, the castle, the surrounding area (France, Black Forest), the dance clubs, mostly friendly people, street fests with great food and "das Fest" in the summer.

Germans also are having a hard time finding a job, not just you guys Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: oh to be in Gemany Reply with quote

"Germans also are having a hard time finding a job, not just you guys "

Germany is faced with unemployment levels not seen since 1931. Recession it is. So do not expect to find it easy to get a job.

Karlsruhe is sleepy and personally that would be a plus. Not all of the posters here are into that. Some might prefer the big fcity scene which is certainly there in Berlin or Hamburg. I would no more work in a big city now than I would consider emigrating to Alpha Centauri !

I long ago resigned myself to the reality that I will not now find a job in Germany, and I work away in the Middle East which pays for my annual holiday to that amazing country. The irony is that when I was working there I did not value my opportunity to enjoy Germany !

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sleepy" - ? Well, it is not a metropolis, but you can live there comfortably. It's in the deep South, close to Basle and to Strasbourg, and within Germany, near Freiburg.
A sunny place where grapes are grown and wines are made. South Germans are more extroverted than Northerners. Schwarzwald is in the same federal state too.
Not a bad choice - if you get that job.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: The Peace of Charlie Reply with quote

Karlsruhe does have the reputation of being quiet and populated by German civil servants, who are not the wildest species on Planet Terra

It is the seat of the "Bundesverfassungsgericht" or Federal Constitutional Court. A real "Beamtenstadt" with all that implies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: