Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any work for a 19-year-old?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingmalka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Any work for a 19-year-old? Reply with quote

To elaborate a little more, would there be any opportunities for a 19-year-old native English speaker with iT experience and a passion to teach to find work in Romania? I'm looking for a summer to summer "life experience" in a new country and culture; in essence, just something I'd really like to do before returning to school for another 4+ years.

Any personal experiencies and/or advice would be much appreciated!

- David

P.S. I have about $6,000 USD to invest in this adventure ... perhaps a little something to help get situated while looking for work? Could I get by on this?
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

With no formal teaching experience or qualifications (I assume as you didn't mention any) you would find it difficult to find well-paid work. Considering that you are in it for the experience and have some savings then working for one of the charity operations would probably be your best bet - you won't earn anything, you'll probably spend all your savings, but it should give you something to remember.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Unless you have a degree, it'll be hard to get a job. The exception may be if you're older and have teaching or work experience. YOu could find a job, just don't expect to be paid well.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like driving fast cars. I thought I would get a summer job doing Formula 1 Racing. Any leads ?
kingmalka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I like driving fast cars. I thought I would get a summer job doing Formula 1 Racing. Any leads ?

I get it already. Thanks.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't be so hard on King Malka. It's true that he has no substantial experience, but he has to start somewhere.

A bigger problem is the lack of any pieces of paper. You don't have a degree, KM, I take it. You also have no teaching certificate of any kind, correct? I would very strongly urge you to do a CELTA or similar. A CELTA as such is not necessary for work (unless you want to work with the BC) but something to show that you have basic teacher training would certainly not go amiss. Otherwise, you will indeed have problems getting any meaningful work.

USD 6k is under 5k euro. By the time you get sorted out with rent etc, certainly in Bucharest, you would not have a lot left. It might keep you going in abject poverty for a few months, but that's it. You could easily find yoursef stranded here without any money.

If you do decide to come here, I may be able to get you some very low-key work as an assistant. You wouldn't get rich on it by any means but it would help you stay afloat. PM me.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not in Bucharest, you wouldn't, as there's too much competition, Scot.

You would need to get either a BMW 3 or 5 series, or an Audi A4 or A6. Said car must be imported from Germany, and it helps to have decals with a legend such as "Thunderfire" or "Speedster" put on each side, along with a HUGE spoiler on the rear. You then don a baseball cap, and of course wear a black or white sleeveless t-shirt that shows off the arm tattoos. Smelling of sweat helps, and sporting a five-day old stubble. If you can get a young girl with very garish makeup slapped on and wearing a micro-mini to adorn the passenger seat, all the better.

That way, you will then be able to zoom around Bucharest at 140KpH, dashing through red ights etc, while immune to all laws and regulations. Only problem is, as our friends have been moaning about recently, those pesky police don't seem to appreciate their special status, and deal with them too harshly. How unfair!! Twisted Evil
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you must have the wrap-round shades and the mobile phone superglued to your right hand so you aren't tempted to use both hands on the steering wheel or accidently forget that you must change gear only with the hand you are steering with!
Bebsi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang,

How can I have forgotten the de rigeur mobile and wraparounds?? How neglectful of me!!

Also, I forgot to mention the 3M high antenna (or multiples thereof) linked to the 12 billion gigawatt superblaster-megathumper-hyperwoofer that entertains the rest of us as we wait at the lights on a balmy summer's evening. Not to mention the harmless fun when the lights turn green, and the said Supercool Bucurestan Bogdan and beminiskirteded G/f Gabriela rev up in neutral just to sweeten the air with the aromatic charms of their exhaust and the dulcet tones of the engine. Indeed, Bogdan and Gabriela wait til the light turns red again, so we get the total benefit of their cool-dudeness, at which moment they zoom off with a screech of wheels, and the experience is repeated at the next lights.

Eventually other, more important matters beckon, so the Thunderfire Twins cut across three lanes and 200 cars, so they can make that left turn into Mihai Bravu just as the next lights turn red.

Such is the admiration and esteem in which these pioneers of the road are held, that their myriad fans in yellow and red Dacia Berlinas emulate them, and so come to also sport eye-catching legends such as Superchallenger, Fastfire and Speedsex, while they too zip...well, chug... away from the lights across three lanes just in time to ensure the mere mortal in the boring old Volvo behind gets to spend another sixteen minutes at the special long-term Bucharest traffic lights.

I should add that AC is most UNcool in Bucharest in summer: you are really supposed to drive around with the window down and the left arm hanging out, preferably with a cigarette wedged between the fingers. If someone like the guy in the boring old Volvo is coming up hard on the left, you shove the arm out further.

How unfortunate that the guy in said boring old Volvo will one of these days edge a bit too close to said Speedzoomer in antennaed BMW/Audi/Berlina, distracted of course by the loud thumping music, while Beemer (or Berlina) Bogdan's other hand is busily engaged trying to tap an SMS on his new Nokia.

Wonder if Gabriela will be impressed with that one? Laughing Twisted Evil
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are really supposed to drive around with the window down

But only ONE window, because two windows open would create that deadly 'curent' which strikes fear into the heart of every Romanian.

Maybe that's the purpose of the open window. Bogdan's ultimate proof of his 'smecher-ness' as he fearlessly exposes himself to the chilly touch of nature?
Bebsi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, REAL prrof of Smecherness surely would be to brave the AC? After all, that is what's considered most dangerous in Romania.

Yes, I have indeed noticed that ALL Romanians (apart from Mrs. B who like Bebsi needs it to live, Man...and also Mrs. B's dad) loathe and abhor AC, as they have a morbid fear that placing oneself in the path of its cool whispering breath, even when it's 45 outside and humidity is touching 98%, will instantly expose one to the most appalling diseases and ailments known to mankind. Legionnaire's hits one in an instant, not to mention myriad previously-non-existant flu strains, that will lay one low for months, durimng which time, in order to recover, one must lie in bed in a tiny room with no ventilation whatsoever, and eat Ciorba de Burta by the bucketload. Mr. Green

Funnily, this hasn't stopped many Romanians getting in AC, it's just that they are reluctant to use it.

Whenever I get a cold or flu, I am immediately remonstrated with by all in sight for using AC "ah, it's because you're so fond of AC you're ill, you shouldn't use it, you should *COUGH* be like us and *SPLUTTER* avoid it". This is despite the fact that it's late January, the AC hasn't been used in 4 months and the said flu strain was acquired two days previously by sitting in a tiny, stuffy office, where the heating is turned up to 40 degs (funny how in Romania the AC uses too much electricity, but money spent on wasted heat is OK) while a couple of remnants of the Bubonic era cough, wheeze, splutter and spit in the adjacent chairs.

Oh, antibiotics like Ampicillin are also dangerous...even if you're about to drop dead from a chest infection where breathing has become a distant memory, you must still avoid antiBs because "they're bad for you". Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: