Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shockingly Wide Array of Morocco Comments!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Shockingly Wide Array of Morocco Comments!!! Reply with quote

I guess it is natural, however........

But geez, 1 perosn says 7500 is good to survive, another says 20,000!!! I mean come ON!!! How could it be THAT different?????

Can we use this particular thread to ONLY discuss monthly apartment/food/transport/misc. costs for the benefit of us newbies???

I realize the location will make a difference, but lets use some kind of average. Clearly Casa and Rabat will have high costs of living, while some remote countryside place will not.

***FOR A SINGLE PERSON WITH NO CAR, WHO RENTS A SMALL, MODEST STUDIO WITH A HOT SHOWER, WHO TAKES TAXIS, AND HAS NO EXTRAVAGANT HABITS......WHAT IS A MINIMUM NET TAKE-HOME MONTHLY PAY FOR A FULLTIME TEACHING POSITION, PLEASE????****
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a Morocco expert to answer your questions, or a fully certified and licensed Africa expert??
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod is a good man to answer. But when I said 20,000, I meant comfortable living, reasonable adult, middle class living, NOT roughing like a student souphead.

If you wanna rough it, and show disgrace to your western education which, if you are from UK, I helped to pay for out of my hard earned taxes, then you could live off 8000 dhm maybe lower, but why would you want to???? If you really want a true experience rather than lifestyle, then don't do things by halves......goto India, it is great....but roughing it in Morocco...each to their own.
steady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
Do you want a Morocco expert to answer your questions, or a fully certified and licensed Africa expert??

Tee-hee Henry Cowell.
hooversmom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to the question of a living wage in Morocco: native-speaker teachers in Meknes earn between 8,000 and 10,000 DH per month. They have decent apartments, eat and drink well, and travel.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xe.com says DH8000 is 482.097 GBP. I got more than that doing second rate jobs in Malaysia and Thailand for god's sake.

Back to the Meknes gang, after paying tax and housing, I'd be more than curious to know where they're all travelling to.

The nearest Western Union office would be my bet.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are better than others at managing their money.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and reading about some of the wages on here tells us school owners are second to none when it comes to managing their money. But if folks are happy to carry on living a college student life again whilst their boss cruises around in a Merc, then go ahead.

So why is it some employers in Morocco pay 8000 whilst others are paying 20000? Believe me, the higher-paid teachers aren�t working twice as hard. I never understood EF Casa teachers doing a lot more hours than me but for less money � and they were just as qualified and no doubt as good as I was in the job. I don't believe for a minute the students� fees vary so widely, so that extra money is lining someone�s pocket.

No one would accept such crap money in their home country, especially if someone doing the same job around the corner was getting over twice as much. It�s just that these lower-paying places put spin on it all, saying it�s soooo cheap to live here, what a great lifestyle you�ll have and my oldest and fattest son needs a new Merc. Exploitation exists all over the world in any job, but if anyone can show me another example of salaries varying so much as 8000 V 20000 for doing the same job, go ahead.
steady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***FOR A SINGLE PERSON WITH NO CAR, WHO RENTS A SMALL, MODEST STUDIO WITH A HOT SHOWER, WHO TAKES TAXIS, AND HAS NO EXTRAVAGANT HABITS......WHAT IS A MINIMUM NET TAKE-HOME MONTHLY PAY FOR A FULLTIME TEACHING POSITION, PLEASE????****

Eclectic,

I am going to lay out a typical costing for you, allowing for a little extravagance somewhere along the line.

ACCOMODATION

From recent contracts, a studio apartment in Rabat is (on average) 2200 dirhams a month.

Electricity, gas, concierge, and a phone line with internet connection will come to another 800 dirhams.

FOOD

If you were to eat the following (at home) as a typical day�s diet, then the cost would be 1500 dirhams a month.

Breakfast: yoghurt, toast with butter and marmalade, and orange, a boiled egg, a pot of tea

Lunch: tuna salad, bread and butter, an apple with some cheese

Dinner: salad, chicken and rice with green beans, a banana

OTHER BASIC LIVING COSTS

Of course, this is very subjective, but I think you will need another 500 dirhams a week for:

taxis about the city
some little snacks
the odd cup of tea in a caf�
a book
a couple of newspapers
a couple of bottles of wine.

You probably need another 500 dirhams a month for basic clothing.

You should add, say, 800 dirhams a month for traveling around and staying in basic places.

You probably need 1000 dirhams a month for splashing out on things or putting aside for travel home�.

That all comes to 9 000 dirhams a month/$US 250 a week.

I think this is a fair and reasonable cost of Rabat or Casa living for someone with a modest lifestyle.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady, each to their own, but the lifestyle you described is in my opinion a sad and bleak one for a graduate, from a western university. I am not disputing your figures, although I think it might be hard to find a good studio flat for less than 3000 dhm pm in Rabat. However, I would like to consider what normal, decent earning expats, with some integrity would live off, thus making living in Morocco a worthwhile experience:

Monthly Expenses in Casablanca

Reasonable apartment in decent part of town: 4500 dhm
All Bills: = 1000 dhm

Meals: Eat at home 5 nights a week = 2500 dhm
Lunch whilst at work = 1000 dhm
Eat Out 2 nights a week, say La Bogeda or Hippotamus = 2500 dhm
Taxi Journeys = 500 dhm
Clothes = 1500 dhm
Wine = 600 dhm
Maid = 1000 dhm
Weekend trips in a decent hotel = 2000 dhm
Coffee/tea = 400 dhm
Imported Newspapers/Magazines etc = 500 dhm
1 Big night out or 2 smaller nights out in addition to above, involving clubbing, meal etc 1000 dhm
Mobile phone calls (expensive) 400 dhm
Unpredictable events such as 'tips' and pay offs: 500 dhm

TOTAL = 19,900 dhm per month.

As Hod rightly says, with the choice of earning 8000 or 20,000 plus in Casa, You choose, lead a souphead student lifestyle, or lead the lifestyle of a dignified Western Graduate Expat.
steady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember, Twin Centre, that Eclectic was looking for the cost of living for a single person with no car, living in a modest studio with a hot shower. This person has no extravagant habits. Eclectic may very well find this lifestyle worthwhile: you obviously wouldn�t. You may need a part time maid for one thousand dirhams a month: Eclectic may not wish this at all. It�s all relative.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only school owners desired such a simple life, there�d be some bloody cheap lessons going.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember, and I did say that I (almost) don't dispute your figures.

But I AM saying that living of 9k is a disgrace to ones education in my opinion, one thing for sure is that my local friends in Casa would have assumed that a foreign teacher was on alot more than that...

Oh it's sad, it's sad, it's sad, the great TEFL unwashed wondering the earth, voluntarily living on the breadline when they could be doing something really useful like building bridges or reparing cars, or cleaning toilets in Waterloo.
steady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
... although I think it might be hard to find a good studio flat for less than 3000 dhm pm in Rabat.

I only know two teacher living in studios in (Agdal) Rabat. They pay 2000 and 2300.
steady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
Oh it's sad, it's sad, it's sad, the great TEFL unwashed ...

What do you mean by that?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: