Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sad times
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: sad times Reply with quote

To all of you folks in Turkey...I am saddened to hear of the recent spate of bombings in Istanbul. Take care...
gelin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we're certainly looking our shoulders more now. It's infuriating. I refuse to be scared.
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want this to sound insensitive. It's a genuine question. From the tv pictures I've seen it looks like that Pano was destroyed in the blast. Is this so?
gelin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pano? Don't know what that is.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's that Greek bar opposite the British con. From what I've seen it was more or less gutted.

It's a difficult situation. On one hand we don't want to give in to the terrorists and live our lives in fear, but equally, it would be stupid to put yourself in danger.
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a bar? I don't frequent that area nor many bars, so I don't know, but there was a lot of damage around the British Consulate.

Mike, I agree with you about trying not to be afraid, but not being foolhardy. It's a hard call on what to do since we never know where the next attack might be. I guess we all need to stay at home....
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to stay at home. You shouldn't let Terrorists dictate your life. That's what they want
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't stay at home, but the consulates say to stay out of crowded areas Smile There is nowhere in Istanbul that isn't crowded! Happy Bayram to my fellow teachers in Istanbul.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Iyı Bayrum Lars Reply with quote

Hello all.... enjoying the Bayrum holiday! Left Bursa on Friday and am heading south. I was in Istanbul for the first two bombings last saturday and like most, felt sick to my stomach about the situation. But, I will not be deterred. Turkey is beautiful, as is most of the planet earth. Not that I have other planets to compare it to, but you hopefully get my drift.

Rambling here. Staying another couple of days in Selcuk and then maybe pop over to Goreme.

Enjoy the holidays!
Sweetone
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetone, although cold at this time if year it is definitely worth going to Goreme. there is nothing else like it on this planet and I'll stick my neck out -nor on any other planet.
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, doesn't even resemble anything else on this planet.
Anitata

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come back from my Cappadocia trip from Goreme. It was quiet till Tuesday. Guess it will be pretty packed now. Hardly seen any foreigners there. Few Japanese and Canadians.....Its my first travel out of Istanbul. Its a really beautiful place. The master work of Gods. Probably will snow soon. Have fun there.
I guess we dont haveto be too panic about the safety here in Istanbul, Nowhere is really safe in this world anymore, I guess. Sad to see all these terrible attacks all over the world all the time. 2003 is not a very good year......
samet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Ankara & Cappadoccia Reply with quote

I was planning a trip to Turkey in March to coencide with a teaching conference there. Does anyone have any knowledge about the weather in Cappadoccia at that time of year? My dream has always been to see it in winter time. Is it possible that there will still be snow in early March? After the recent spate of terrorist acitvities I kind of reassessed my situation and decided that perhaps Id give Turkey a miss next March, but, as others have commented, you have to take a chance occasionally.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samet, I was in Cappadoccia in March about three years ago and it was snowy and very beautiful-albeit very cold. Make sure you get a hotel with central heating. BTW what conference are you going to?
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the chance of something happening in Cappadocia is very small. Certainly if nothing else occurs in the next month or so I wouldn't let it affect your plans for next March.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: