Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necessary Qualifications to be ELICOS teacher in Aust? (NSW)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarahcharles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Necessary Qualifications to be ELICOS teacher in Aust? (NSW) Reply with quote

Dear all,

I want to become an ESL teacher in Australia. I am Singaporean and my fiance's an Aust PR and currently residing there. I plan to join him soon, as well and was hoping to become a English teacher, perhaps in a language centre?

I have a Bachelors of Social Science (Political Science) from Singapore and was wondering what course I shld undertake in Aust. to be suitably qualified?

I understand (frm extensive surfing of the net) that in Aust, I have to have a bachelors in education, otherwise, I need to undertake a Masters of Teaching or Bach. of Teaching (Pri/Sec), however, is this offered to an international student?

Also, I was wondering whether a grad dip in TESOL (for eg, from UTS), would be sufficient, together with my existing bachelor's degree, to get casual/part time work or a permanent job? Im torn. Is a CELTA enough? Or must I definitely undertake a course in teaching (Mteach/Bteach) in order to teach?

Would certainly be extremely appreciative if I got some replies. Thanks in advance!
eslstudies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a B.Ed to work in ELICOS, migrant ed or an English college. Its only to teach in the school system.
A graduate diploma in TESOL is looked upon favorably by employers. A Masters is better of course, but much more expensive.
sarahcharles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eslstudies!

Im relieved Razz

With regards to my Bach. in soc. sci. from Singapore, must I get it verified by DEST or some other organization to be considered as an equivalent to a Aust. degree?

I have considered doing a Masters in TESOL but I'm just afraid that since I do not have any ESL experience (did casual/relief teaching in English to secondary school students in Singapore for about a year or so), potential employers might not want to employ me? And you're right, there's the cost issue to consider as well.

I'm currently looking at the grad dip (TESOL) at UTS. Understand that the Uni of Western Sydney offers it as well (but not too sure abt the uni and its rep wrt tesol/teaching). Do you know of any universities in NSW that is well-known for its TESOL courses?

UNSW seems to offer a grad. cert in TESOL but I'm thinking a grad dip would put me in a better position to secure a job.

Sorry for the many questions, and thanks again eslstudies for the reply!

English colleges, migrant centres and lang. schools, here I come Smile
eslstudies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine by distance through Macquarie University. They have a very strong linguistics department. The award is widely offered by many unis throughout Australia.
Which ever institution you wish to enrol at will convert your Singaporean qualification to their own equivalent. You will need first degree status to enrol in any post grad award. Obviously employers prefer higher awards, but they can't afford to be too fussy.
Quote:
I understand (frm extensive surfing of the net) that in Aust, I have to have a bachelors in education, otherwise, I need to undertake a Masters of Teaching or Bach. of Teaching (Pri/Sec), however, is this offered to an international student?

This would apply to getting a teaching job [ie, 5-18 year olds] in a primary or high school. Language schools, ELICOS and migrant ed places [eg TAFE] don't require this. A degree, a post grad TESOL,from Grad Cert to Masters, and good English are what they're after first. Experience will come second.
If you intend to study, it may be an idea to do some volunteer tutoring of migrants/refugees under the AMEP at the same time. This would certainly benefit your job chances later.
The PGCTESOL will be the cheapest: its one semester full time. Being an international student would not be a barrier.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah, have a look at my website below and click on distance masters. There are links for all/most of the distance masters programs in Australia and other countries too. I did mine with USQ, they have a very good program and you get quite a lot of choices as far as elective courses go, far more than UTS anyways.
sarahcharles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your replies.

I think it would be a great idea to be a volunteer tutor to migrants/refugees under the AMEP. Not only to increase my job chances, but I think the experience will help lots in being a good teacher. Thanks eslstudies for the suggestion, am def going to take it up.

And Gordon, I saw your website. The links page is fantastic. Looks like I've got a lot of reading up to do. I'm not planning for a distance masters (plan is to be with the fiance whilst completing the postgrad in tesol) but I'd take a look at the websites of the universities you've put down for sure.

Thanks again!
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarahcharles wrote:
Thank you so much for your replies.

I think it would be a great idea to be a volunteer tutor to migrants/refugees under the AMEP. Not only to increase my job chances, but I think the experience will help lots in being a good teacher. Thanks eslstudies for the suggestion, am def going to take it up.

And Gordon, I saw your website. The links page is fantastic. Looks like I've got a lot of reading up to do. I'm not planning for a distance masters (plan is to be with the fiance whilst completing the postgrad in tesol) but I'd take a look at the websites of the universities you've put down for sure.

Thanks again!

Thanks. If you go to the sites, most or all the unis have postgrad certificates which are often about 1/2 a masters. Later you could do the other half and get the masters.
sarahcharles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just to keep you guys updated. I think I intend to pursue my tesol studies at Macquarie Uni; either a post grad cert or dip.

The post grad cert in TESOL is way cheaper, but I was wondering, would it be sufficient in securing casual work whilst studying? Or is it pretty much useless and I wld have to continue with the postgrad dip, to get some casual work/perm job?

Need help in making a decision! Replies anyone?
eslstudies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say "while I am studying". Does this mean trying to find work in ESL before you've completed the certificate?

Generally though, it will depend on market forces. I've seen ELICOS and TAFE ads stating "PG Diploma TESOL preferable", but know they have employed people with certificates.
TESOL qualified people aren't that thick on the ground. Many people in the field have a BA and experience, but no TESOL training.
And the certificate can easily be upgraded to a diploma should you decide that's what you want/need.

ps I'm not in Sydney. Market forces may well be different there.
kinshachi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA was enough for most private language schools when I was working in Sydney. Post grad qualifications seem to be icing on the cake as far as most of them are concerned, but I expect much more useful if you're looking for higher end jobs. You could go for a CELTA first, and work while studying for something higher...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: