Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work for Americans in UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Work for Americans in UK? Reply with quote

I think I understand generally the bleak prospects facing Americans who would look for TEFL work in the UK. I understand that working "off the books" is rare. I've looked into the fine print of a few of the government work permit/visa programs and have not found a loophole I could squeeze through.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge that runs counter to this general picture. Anyone have a ray of hope to offer an American with a CELTA (and little-to-no experience)? Thanks.
b-boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

During the summer of 97 I knew someone who worked in London. An American off the books. He'd been told that there was no way that he would be able to find work, but the first place he walked into offered him a year's contract, knowing he only had a six month tourist visa. He had a TEFL certificate and a couple of year's experience under his belt, so that may have helped. But most of the places he went into offered him some hours.

There were some negative aspects to it. For one thing the pay was not so great, and at one school he had an altercation with an employer who refused to pay him (he got the money in the end). Also he had to travel to more than one location, to pick up enough hours. But all in all he said it was a great summer, mostly because he had something in common with his students that their british teachers did not-- They were all foreigners in London. (And working illegally).

Outside of London, and at any other time of year apart from summer, it may be more difficult to find work... but I'm just speculating.

As for the regulations, at that time the penalty for Americans being caught was that they were deported, but unlike the USA, Britain allows Americans to reenter. The consequences, as I understood them, were heavier for the employer, I think it was a 3000 pound fine.
Ethan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the kind of story I was hoping to hear. If the rest of my travel goes as planned, I might get to London just about at the beginning of summer, and I'd be thrilled to be able to duplicate your friend's experience. Thanks for posting.
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two years ago I (yank) worked in Britain for a good 6 months, although I had a work visa. I went through 4 jobs and not one employer even cared to check my passport or visa. Even the customs official didn't ask me to show my work visa card when I entered even though I told him I had a BUNAC work visa. He just asked me how long I wanted to stay, stamped my passport, and off I went, took about 30 seconds. Maybe after 911 it's not quite as carefree, but there was absolutely no hassle when I was there. I met another American who worked at pubs during the summer and he never bothered to get a work visa, but English schools might be more monitored.

I don't know about English schools particularly, but I did see a lot of them on Queensrow near Hyde Park in London. You can spot English schools easily as you'll see a bunch of people speaking broken English standing around outside smoking.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people with teaching qualifications that would let them teach in US high schools, I think they would be able to work in UK secondary schools - i.e. the qualifications would be recognised as equal to QT status here (Obviously this might be a bit difficult for EFL specialsists).

There is currently a shortage in Secondary School teachers here (though this may well be with good reason......) and it is recognised by the Work Permits agency as a "Shotage Occupation", making it a lot easier to get work. There are a lot of Aussie and South African teachers here... I don't know of many US citizens - Possibly there is some preference given to Commonwealth countries, but I don't think it is, it may just be a reflection that, in general Americans are less likely to look for work abroad (though there are plenty of people here to contradict this)

Check out www.workpermits.gov.uk and www.useyourheadteach.gov.uk and see what sense you can get out of it!!
chinadan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: I do work in the UK Reply with quote

Work here and love it. I can eat the food, talk to the people in my own language and the pay is great. You need a teaching certificate to work here there are literaly thousands of vacancies and getting a work permit is a snap. China was OK but UK is for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: