Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on the Mexican West Coast??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the mexican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Teaching on the Mexican West Coast?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Could anyone offer me any advice on
places to teach (with a B.A. and TEFL Cert. but
no teaching experience ) anywhere on the west
coast of Mexico.

I wrote in a previous post that Puerto Vallarta
was predominantly the locale where I wanted
to teach but I haven't heard anything back yet
so I thought I'd expand my choices/options, in the
hopes that I'm not being unrealistic.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,

the mexican
LM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that the lack of responses may mean what you think it means.
As far as I know, there are not many ESL job opportunities on the west coast, especially Puerto, Acapulco etc. The market is not that big from what I understand.
You will probably have to start thinking more inland if you want to make enough money to survive.
But you can always go to the beach on the weekend or holidays. Smile
The Old Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few English schools in Acapulco, for sure. Perhaps the most schools on the west coast.

There are even some opportunities in Pto Vallarta from time to time. See the Job Information Journal for the name of at least one school in PV.

Actually, there are English schools in every major west coast city, Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Acapulco, Pto. Vallarta. I understand there is some work available in Zihua/Ixtapa but haven't read/heard much about it.

I have even seen advertisements for an attractive job at a university in Huatulco, from time to time. Ditto with Manzanillo.

If you decide on a locale, and your research doesn't provide too much info, PM me and I might be able to give you a few leads.

My typing just isn't good enough to want to sit here and type in the name and address of all the language schools on the west coast of Mexico.

If you want to teach on the west coast, it is certainly "do-able."

Good luck!
the mexican

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies-you've given me some hope that I just might get a job in my desired destination! I've heard about Proulex
in PV as a possible place to work, any info?? Thanks again! Very Happy
mindlink

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Proulex Reply with quote

If you are new to this board, you may not have seen the old one, on which there were several comments about Proulex. Most were negative, citing the Director as being an idiot, but never saying that the teachers weren't paid on time or that the working conditions were bad. So, I'd take any of that with a grain of salt because most people who are happy wit their work don't feel the need to write about it on line.

I worked at a resort (30 km from PV) for three years and then moved to Poland. I am now in the process of arranging a flight back to PV so I can work at Proulex. As a branch of the University of Guadalajara, it has an excellent reputation among academics and its students don't appear to be complaining either Wink There is also a university-level branch just outside PV you could apply to, and of course there's the ever-present resorts, of you want to pound the pavement a bit to see which resort is needing a teacher. Don't forget the resorts in Punta Mita and other nearby villages. These are somewhat cushy jobs because you can negotiate accommodation and food into your contract.

So there's some ideas for you. Good luck. If you want more info, email me personally, as I don't check this board often.

Buen suerte! Cool
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Proulex Reply with quote

[quote="mindlink"]If you are new to this board, you may not have seen the old one, on which there were several comments about Proulex. Most were negative, citing the Director as being an idiot, but never saying that the teachers weren't paid on time or that the working conditions were bad. So, I'd take any of that with a grain of salt because most people who are happy wit their work don't feel the need to write about it on line.

Shocked

I don't usually comment on places that I haven't worked, but in this case I had to say something.

I really think you should check the Job Information Journal on this one. There are quite a few negative comments about "Proulex" and they do definately talk about not being paid. (not just late payment, but no payment)
As for grains of salt, perhaps there should be some taken for the above post as well.
Cheers
nighthawk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Proulex's a no no! Reply with quote

I read the Job Information Journal too. I do recall reading about a lot of dirt on Proulex, including teachers not getting paid. They made my black list months ago. I second some waygug-in's comments about Proulex.
the mexican

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice/warnings! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice/warnings about
Proulex. I am still going to make an attempt to get
job info from the Director there for August/Sept 2003,
I think I'd rather
have some as opposed to no contacts/job prospects before
I take off in August. On recommendation, I bought
a Moon handbooks travel guide to PV and I've only glimpsed
at it so far, but it has a lot of information in it and I think it
might become my PV bible.

If anyone has any further thoughts on the possible
trials and tribulations of living/working in
PV I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
the mexican
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: