Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guangho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The end and glad of it Reply with quote

biffinbridge wrote:
Got my final payout from Sirte Oil.It was 270 GBP short....they paid me 4 months after I left.

I'm calling for heartwarming stories of employees, in any field, who get paid a living wage, and get all of it, on time, every time.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may well be some interesting places in Libya but you won't get to see them as there is no transport at SOC and you don't have any time off.
georgemcduff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this elsewhere but think it got 'lost'

Biffinbridge,

I notice you've mentioned Veba and Eni are the best (or the only decent) outfits in Libya. I've scoured the net for them and found nothing.

Do you know if and where they advertise their posts?

Cheers.

Also, does anyone know if Bell provide TV and/or internet access with their accommodation?

Could be handy out there...

Thanks a lot.
WD40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this
http://www.icoelibya.com/jobs.html
Short term contracts

Though closed, British Council is now established in libya
BRITISH COUNCIL Libya

EFL Teachers Tripoli

The British Council is recruiting six EFL teachers to work in the new teaching centre in Tripoli, Libya, from January 2007.
Only UK passport holders may apply.

The teaching centre is equipped to very high standards with materials and technology for language learning. You will teach a range of EFL courses to public and private students at all levels. This may include exam preparation courses and courses for Young Learners.

Essential requirements: UK passport, a recognised TEFL certificate (CELTA, Trinity TESOL Cert. or equivalent), degree and at least two years TEFL experience.

Benefits include competitive salary, flights, medical insurance, accommodation provided and visa sponsorship.

For more information and to apply, please contact: [email protected] or telephone 020 7389 4931 (UK)

Closing date for applications: Friday 24th November 2006

www.britishcouncil.org
abinara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Work in Libya Reply with quote

Tefl.com has an ad for Libya....contractor company is Al Sqr Al Hur......rotation is 10 weeks on 4 weeks off......salary negotiable.....the above mentioned contractor is given a caution rating on the libyantravels site

i am waiting to hear from them on the subject of salary...was hoping biffinbridge might be able to give some info on the company....have pmed him...but no reply as yet ...anyone know his status?
Vteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Al Sqr Al Hur outfit sounds dubious to me. I got in touch with them and they responded immediately asking me what I wanted to be paid (always a bad sign - what are you supposed to say, 1000 dollars a day?) and never heard from them again.

Here's the thing; a 10/4 rotation is enough to send many people looking for psychological counselling. It is a very big ask, and only for the seriously broke or desperate. Also, the sub-contractor scene in Libya is very mercenary and fraught with problems. I know, I have been in it for years. My opinion is that unless you only plan to stay a few months, demand a decent day rate (anything less than 250 dollars a day is too little in my opinion, but each to their own) and know that you're going to have poor accom, no guarantees of ontime payments, basic messing and myriad other little challenges. I know of no good situations in Libya and am doing my best to get out. The only real bonus is the rotations, but whether 10/4 is really rotational is questionable.

Someone asked about Veba - their training is subcontracted to one little-known Austrian outfit - MM Libya - only advice I have (from personal experience) is AVOID. PM for more.

VT
abinara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: libya - Al-Aqr Al-Hur Reply with quote

Finally got an offer of �20k pa....which I respectfully declined.

I know 10 weeks would be a real bind, and would only do it if they made it worth my while.
Vteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have been too respectful in declining, personally. They advertised their jobs (I'm not even convinced they are genuine) as "well paid". Not. 20000 quid for 10 weeks on in Libya, stuck in some grim outpost is a bad joke. All they guarantee for themselves is a dreary procession of naive types who leave after 1 rotation or weirdos who end up yelping under clinic examination tables. Don't laugh, it really happens.

Libya is not all bad. No real health problems, nice weather in the winter, students can be OK. But these subcontractors ruin everything with their predatory tactics. If you go, check all the fine print and be ready for a pretty boring, colourless experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: