Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shockingly Wide Array of Morocco Comments!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for "twoddle"....it may be for YOU, but not for me. I did hitherto believe that what is "twoddle" for 1 is not for another, thereby rendering that silly, smug word a "subjective" one.

We ARE all going to the graves, twincenter, or is it centre, you little crumpet-eating tea-sipper Rolling Eyes .....I do love you so, as I love all creatures of God.

You are right however that one may as well go for the maximum, and I certainly will try for that. But not everyone really wants a maid, a butler, a chauffeur, etc.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Morocco I had a maid.

I think it is good to employ local people who otherwise may find it difficult to find employment for a reasonable rate. It is a way of giving something back. In fact, I cannot see anything bad about that at all. I encourage all foreigners in developing countries to do the same.

Last edited by TwinCentre on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crumpet eating tea-sipper? I don't get it. And it is Center! Don't thrust British English down my throat, my handle or online name was a joke. I eat fine food and drink fine wine exactly and employ maids. You won't de doing either on 8k.

Seriously, my message was to earn more to give more.
hooversmom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick response to the last post. The native speaker teachers who work with me pay between 2000 and 2500 for their apartments. The school provides a housing stipend of 50% of the rent and helps with basic furniture. They are not particularly interested in European travel - most of them have done that - but do travel extensively in Morocco. No one is losing weight from a starvation diet, we often go out in the evening for beer and pizza, and they do employ maids. Very often the native speaker teachers here have no more than a year or two of experience and would not make much more than the 8000 Dirhams we pay unless they are lucky enough to find a job in the Emirates or Saudi Arabia.

Just for comparison, a friend of mine - with an MA - was offered a job in the US in a university ESL program for $30,000 gross! That doesn't make the Morocco salary sound so bad.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take home salary is anywhere from 13,000-17,000 a month. From that salary I pay for my 1 bedroom apartment in Agdal (Rabat) which is 3300 dh, pay my utilities and buy groceries. I eat out at least 3-4 times a week. I have travelled within and without the country. I do not own a car but nor do I live like a Buddhist monk. I am still easily able to sock away money. If you cannot live on 9000 dirhams a month in Morocco then you either have a drinking problem or you spend your evenings at Morocco's fine 'nightclubs' being grossly overcharged for booze and women.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, eclectic will be livid at you raking in such huge sums.

When I was at this BC Casa place doing not a lot to be honest, I think I got 10000 dirhams and 600 UK pounds a month. The pounds were paid tax free into a UK bank account, and I vowed it a heinous crime to even dream about injecting any of it into the Moroccan economy. I never did. I always knew the dirhams would be worth sweet fanny adams elsewhere so was always diligent in my efforts to blow the entire lot each month.

So, my Dh10000 lifestyle in the city of yawns was pretty nondescript I have to say, but at least I could sleep well � the three courses in La Bodega and Hippo every night helped too � knowing I�d saved just that bit that more each month to the Hod holiday/pension fund. To endure such boring hardships without setting a regular bit aside isn�t just depressing, it�s irresponsible to your own future and that of any future dependents you may have.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fulltime maid/nanny/housekeeper/cook, & taught her how to cook things I liked. I also taught her how to knit, and she became so adept she was knitting sweaters for money on the side. When I left I used some connections I had and lined up a job for her at the palace. I wish I could have brought her back with me, can't find hired help like that here.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert,

Did you also have a maid/nanny/housekeeper/cook in the other African countries in which you've lived? If so, what was the pay in each place?
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a specific country you are interested in or are you just trying to yank my chain?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not sure which African countries you're an expert on. What did you pay for nannies and/or cook-housekeeprs in sub-Saharan countries in West and East Africa?
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mere pittance
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And which countries were those?
hooversmom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about others. but I'm getting really tired of the sniping between Africaexpert and other contributors to this forum.
steady

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find it slightly amusing - just a bit of banter. Why don't you add your thoughts about the topic, Hooversmom.

From your name, I presume that you have a very greedy child, yes?
hooversmom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the topic? How much to pay maids? What countries Africaexpert has actually lived and worked in? Can't say I'm very interested in either. I've already given my limited input on the cost of living in Meknes, Morocco.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: