Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching ESL in TORONTO CA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachme27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Teaching ESL in TORONTO CA Reply with quote

HI everyone! Okay I am a US citizen and want to teach ESL in Toronto Canada then abroad. I know most people go abroad first. But I have a boyfriend in Toronto and want to stay with him for a year or so and then teach abroad. Would getting a work visa be hard? I have a BS in Communications and TESOL/TESL Certificate. Also what about a skilled worker visa? Uggh need some good advice from a Canadian citizen.. other advice welcome too! Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a U.S. citizen with an MA in TESL/TEFL and ten years of experience, six from universities. I couldn't get a visa to work in Canada with my qualifications. There is no lack of qualified English language teachers in Canada, so it's not a qual that will get you in.

I'm in Canada because my spouse's international company sponsored me. I'm legal to work, and am employed by a university, but not based on my own qualifications.

And, what's a TESOL/TEFL? Do you mean that you have a cert. from Global Tesol College? If so, you should know that it's not a real entry-level certification.

Basic certification accepted by schools internationally is 100+ hours on site, including at least 6 hours of supervised teaching practice of real students (not peer teachers) with feedback from qualified teacher trainers.

Further (I've read your post on another thread) if you've got 40,000k in debt, your options are seriously limited, probably to Korea. Entry level positions simply don't pay enough to make any dent in that kind of debt, regardless of the country.

Not to be entirely discouraging, but you probably need to be a bit more realistic in your expectations. You can succeed, but you need to know what you are facing.
teachme27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was me on the other post! I am just exploring my options. I know Korea would be better but wanted some experience before I go and if I was able to spend time with my boyfriend in Toronto that would make me happy! Thanks for the comments I appreciate it! I am going to work for a Language school that hasa location in Toronto but they wont sponsor a visa so I wanted to know about obtaining a work visa from someone who has experienced it or knows someone who has. I guess I should have mentioned that!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're probably going to have trouble getting a work visa. Canada's not that open to U.S. citizens, and, while a school might take you if you've already got a visa, it's like Western Europe. A language school can't argue before the law that there is no Canadian citizen who can do the job.

Good luck with Korea, though. That might work for you.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to second the Korea recommendation as well. With your qulifications you should be able to find a decent full-time job there.
A couple of the folks I work with taught there for a year. They worked hard, but were able to bank about $1000 US each per month.
teachme27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Thanks for your advice Reply with quote

Thank you but I am having more interest in Japan now! I know the cost of living is higher but I think I would blend in better there..hmm still up for debate!
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread on teaching in Canada:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=47654&highlight=churning+canada

Almost half of all immigrants to Canada go to Toronto. Almost every community college and university in Toronto has a one-year certificte in Teaching English as a Second Language, each one churning out over thirty students a year. There aren't that many jobs.

The market is already flooded. That's why there are so many Canadians overseas. But it's not just teaching English. Most people who work in big box stores manning a cash register or unloading stock onto shelves or slinging coffee in Toronto have at least one degree, sometimes two and sometimes have graduate degrees and certificates as well.

Quote:
Rather, [the growing disparity between the rich and everyone else in Canada] is like death by a thousand cuts. Among the factors contributing to the widening gap, Mackenzie notes the loss of well-paying manufacturing jobs and the rise of lower-paying service sector work; the decline in unionized workplaces; the increase in contract and temporary employment; and minimum wages that failed to keep pace with inflation.

You can add to that, "use of volunteers used both as a way to keep staffing levels up and as leverage to force ESL teachers to work at the poverty level" (sometimes lower than minimum wage because they are paid for contact hours only, but have to be at the school all day).

Americans shouldn't find it too hard to work in Canada in the same way that Canadians should find it hard to get work in the States. Apparently, there are laws that allow work relationships (I heard that it's part of the North American Free Trade Agreement) but then each country has put up tonnes of laws that basically get around it making it almost impossible, except for people like artists (actors and musicians usually), to actually do it.

Then on top, employers themselves do not always recognize foreign credentials and aren't going to hire somebody with unknown credentials over someone with credentials they recognize. (Canada in general, but Toronto and Ontario in particular are credential crazy when it comes to getting jobs). The only exception would be if you had a doctorate and were going after university positions.
teachme27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Well Put! Reply with quote

Thank you I will keep all those things in mind! But also wanted just to add one more question.. skilled workers visa. What do you know about it and how it works or if its easy to obtain. Otherwise unless I marry (to my Canadian Boyfriend) thats the only other option.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy to obtain. As I said before, I have an MA in TESL/TEFL and nearly 10 years of experience - but I could not get a skilled workers visa to teach English in Canada.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to do it, get married.

The market for ESL in Toronto is quite competitive, and with your newbie qualifications, you'll be employable - but not above the average.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well Put! Reply with quote

teachme27 wrote:
Thank you I will keep all those things in mind! But also wanted just to add one more question.. skilled workers visa. What do you know about it and how it works or if its easy to obtain. Otherwise unless I marry (to my Canadian Boyfriend) thats the only other option.

I don't think you qualify unless you have experience you haven't listed here. You need at least one year experience in one of the careers listed, and English teacher isn't on the list.

The Canadian Goverment wrote:
You must meet the following minimum work experience requirements to be eligible to apply as a skilled worker:

You must have at least one continuous year of full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment.
Your work experience must be in the category of Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B on the Canadian National Occupational Classification. (See below for instructions.)
You must have had this experience within the last 10 years

This is a list of the work areas.
teachme27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Okay.. yes I do have other experience non related to teaching English. I checked this list it isnt on there .. your right! Okay thanks.. yea I forget you did mention your experience Spiral78 but I llike to also get different opinions and advice!
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all kinds of foreign trained workers who are at burger joints or sweeping floors. I don't really understand why they came to Canada in the first place.

I used to think that it was terrible that doctors (for example) who were qualified in their own country couldn't work here. After all there is around a million people in Ontario without a gp. Then I saw what medical conditions are like in some countries. I am really glad that our government places restrictions on foreigners working here.
VanKen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Why immigrate? Reply with quote

canadashirleyblue wrote:
There are all kinds of foreign trained workers who are at burger joints or sweeping floors. I don't really understand why they came to Canada in the first place.

Perhaps you should ask one of them. A while back I met a judge from China... who is now working at a Burger King in Canada. She had a reasonable explanation for the move. Smile
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. But, thankfully, she is not working as a judge!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: