Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to wear
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still fail to see why ''Mediterranean'' countries have been brought into this. You are considering accepting a post in Kuwait and want to know how to dress. What on earth does nepotism in Spain or Italy have to do with that or the case of poor Ms. Phillips?
Nor do I agree that we should have to be more culturally sensitive in the Gulf than they are in our countries. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, or it ought to be.
Do you or do you not accept that Ms. Phillips' case couldn't have arisen in the European Union? Don't you accept that the term ''Mediterranean'' countries is so vague as to be meaningless in the context being discussed.
As far having lived in Spain for 6 years..? That makes you an authority on the ills of the society, does it. I am now in my fifteenth year here in total and I have never heard of nepotism being used in such a disgraceful way as Mr. Marzouk did to Ms. Phillips.
You are the one going to Kuwait, not me. I wish you all the best and sincerely hope that you never find yourself in the kind of situation that she did.
sarakershaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh, calm down!

Now, I will certainly agree with you on the fact that neither nepotism nor Ms. Phillips' ordeal has much to do with the topic of this thread. I sincerely apologize for deviating from the original topic!

But, apart from that, you totally miss the point I was trying to make!

1- I did not say that cases like Ms.phillips' are rife in Mediterranean countries. I said that "nepotism" is rife in Mediterranean countries.

2- I did not say that "we should have to be more culturally sensitive in the Gulf than they are in our countries" I said that we have to be more culturally sensitive when WE go to Islamic countries than when WE go to other countries. Of course, others coming to our country have to be equally tolerant and culturally sensitive.

3- No, having lived in spain for 6 years does not make me "an authority on the ills of the society". If experiencing life in 5 different Mediterranean countries is not enough to make the generalization that "nepotism is rife in most Mediterranean countries",then I take that back and rephrase it as "nepotism is rife in Spain,Turkey, Italy, Cyprus and Greece".
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a hiadus, i'm back - i'll devote a post to that, but reference the clothes question.....
- sarah , a well known principal who is still in kuwait, said to me and all the staff "ladies, if i or anyone else can determine your cup size or nipple circumference from what you're wearing, pack for departure when school is finished because you'll leave immediately with full loss of benefits, gentlemen are to wear ties whilst teaching....'
- also last year a female swimming teacher was fired in september whenparents wear told she was wearing underwear by the students (a bikini it was - but she was gone without chance to repent)

moral of the story - conservative dress is best
trapezius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ wow that's shocking to me... if those are true, i guess they must be in arab run western curriculum schools.

because i have experience with some western run schools in saudi, and though it doesn't get "bad" (too liberal in dress), it is not as strict as what you said.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: