Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

libya on $100,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BOBBYSUE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: libya on $100,000 Reply with quote

hi everyone

i've been offered a post in tripoli which is about 100,000 US dollars per annum plus healthcare, several return flights home per year, accommodation in "a decent villa" etc etc

i'd be very grateful if anyone living there could give me their opinion as to whether it is a good offer, what other contractual things I should look out for /insist on, what a decent villa means in tripoli, etc etc

thank you so much

BS
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: hi mate Reply with quote

100,000 US is a hell of a salary in Libya.Who's it with?Most teaching jobs there pay between 40 and 60 US.
That's a wad of dosh and you'll be able to send most of it home.There isn't much to do in Tripoli and food is quite cheap.A meal in a good place won't cost more than 15 us.There's 5 star hotel there now with a pool and sauna so join that and waste away the days.
I've been to Tripoli a few times but I worked in the desert,which was no fun at all.Sad
pm me if you have anything in particular to ask.
Vteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments: 1: If this offer is true, it is probably the best paid EFL job that I have ever heard of (20 years in the industry). 2: If you need to ask if it is a good offer, you're probably in the wrong game or on the wrong planet.

Assuming that it is kosher, you've apparently hit paydirt. Given that the average wage for Tripoli-based instructors is more like USD25000 a year (your estimate is way generous, Biffenbridge, based on my research - check offers on Tefl.com to confirm). Even in the desert, pay is not a lot better, and getting worse.

Tripoli is not a fun place to be, unless you enjoy drinking fanta in a male-only caf� although it is safe, mainly, and it is inexpensive. Even those tempted to rush out to the desert with one of the many subcontractors in the oil industry would do well to check back posts from Biffenbridge and others. Not for the faint hearted.

VT
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: pay in Libya Reply with quote

Sirte oil pay about 45,000 U.S. Veba pay more but as far as I remember you don't get paid when you are off.I got offered a job by Veba in 2003 but after waiting for about 6 months and having received some weird singing gerbil e-mail from Christian Pirkner,the Austrian who hires for Muehringer, I rang and told him in no uncertain terms that he was a Tommy tanker and that he was wasting my time.
The current Berlitz Tripoli offer looks horrendous.
Mr V. is right...the desert is no fun:( full of mad people and empty of what you might call life.
Vteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made the right decision about MM - and saved yourself a lot of grief. Word is that MM has lost the Veba training contract - it's gone to another fly-by-nighter that will no doubt itself be pushed out in due course. Veba training is best avoided. Accomodation and general conditions are poor, and the entire operation is more about kick-backs and corruption than anything else. The students can get you sacked with one phone call and the training dept provides no support whatever. Anyone considering working for Veba as a teacher is strongly advised against it. PM if you want more detail. VT
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: the skinny Reply with quote

Hi mate,would love to know what went on there.Funnily enough I met 2 Veba trainers on a plane to Tripoli once and they weren't impressed at all! That said I was a bit worse for drink:)
That Pirkner fella apparently had a tailor's dummy in his office dressed in lederhosen with whom he conversed and consulted....don't know if that's true though:)
It's difficult to take a man seriously when he's just sent you an e-mail containing a cartoon clip of a singing/dancing gerbil.
The rotation was 28/16, which was also weird.The conditions in Libya aren't worth the cash that's for sure.What I saved in my 9 on went in 4 weeks!!
cheers,Paul.
georgemcduff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to go for 6-9 months.

Is there any company that isn't either a complate shambles or run by lunatics?

How about Bell? What's the scoop on them?

Cheers
Longton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Bell in Libya for 6 months in 2006 and found them to be an excellent employer. I also enjoyed living and working in Libya and the students were poloite and eager to learn. It was a well run and organised contract.
Vteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good ride. But if everything was so well organised and the students so poloite (sic), perhaps it's not too cheeky to ask why you stayed only 6 months. From my calcs, given the onerous 10/4 rotation, that makes only 2 trips out. In what way were they excellent employers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: