Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Addis Ababa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritzkiss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Living in Addis Ababa Reply with quote

Hey,

My wife and I are looking to move to Addis to teach (and her to nurse) and a couple of the jobs I am looking at don't provide housing.

So.... how difficult would it be to find housing and how expensive? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, any other hints for living in Addis??
kimmyz73

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: same questions... Reply with quote

both my fiance and i are looking for part time teaching jobs!!!!! any help...
neo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Accommodation Reply with quote

Although Ethiopia is a very poor country and has an exceptionally low cost of living, accommodation costs are high. This is probably due to its position as the capital of Africa which results in a huge number of foreign diplomats renting accommodation there. Furthermore, Ethiopians from all over the country want to live in Addis. Most expatriate Ethiopians who return to the country live in Addis even though they originate from areas far from the capitol. The large demand for land created by these factors has made property prices high and rents have been shooting up annually for the last 10 years.

You could expect to pay between 4,000 and 6,000 birr per month for a modest 3 bedroom villa. A nice 3 bedroom apartment in a secure compound would be around 5,000 birr per month.

Hope this information is of some help. I've been visiting Ethiopia for many years as I'm married to an Ethiopian and I have a house in Addis. PM me if you need any other information.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addis the capital of Africa? Since when?
steady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert - Addis Ababa is the fourth diplomatic capital of the world, and for quite a while has been referred to by the UN, and other major international bodies, as �the capital of Africa�.

Do your research or change your pen name.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!! Rolling Eyes

http://www.hollerafrica.com/showArticle.php?artId=108&catId=1

http://www.africa-ata.org/addis_2.htm
neo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Making a Living from EFL in Addis Reply with quote

Just an afterthought about making enough money to live well in Addis. A backpacking tefler in China working at the low end of the market probably makes several times as much as the highest paid professor at Addis University. Salaries at Ethiopian schools are attrocious and could only support Ethiopian teachers who have a family network in place to provide them will cheap/free accommodation and food. An Ethiopian teacher's salary wouldn't even allow you the luxury of taking a taxi to and from work. Group minibuses are all you would be able to afford.

However, Ethiopians value education higher than anything else and the growing middle class are paying a lot of money to send their kids to the best schools. Even in the best schools there can be 40 students in each class people think that's normal there. At the bottom end, the average is more like 70. Schools that have a western native speaker on the staff will attract those prepared to pay between 8,000 and 10,000 birr per year.

My advice to anyone seriously wanting to teach in Addis would be to rent a nice villa in an area with more affluent people (CMC, Hyatt, Bole) and start your own little school. A couple of kindergarten classes would be a good way to start. People have been trying to get me to do this for years and I probably will one day. When you play about with the figures you could actually make a lot of money.

My insight is based on information from many of my in-laws who are actually teachers and my nephews and nieces who attend the pricier schools. I sponsor some orphans at cheap schools and the fees are only 100 birr a year. However, I've never spoken to an expat teacher there so perhaps I'm not seeing the full picture.

Good luck if you go there. No matter what happens, you'll have a good time.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of many people who rely on UN info as their sole source of information. Certainly you would be hard pressed to find many Africans who would consider Addis the capital of Africa.

http://www.expertrating.com/quizzes/online-africa-quiz.asp
Here are some capitals in the real Africa. Test your knowledge.
neo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: New Flower Reply with quote

Many other sources could be quoted, but what's the point, your head's obviously lodged up your know-it-all bum. Addis Ababa's role as the capital of Africa is a relatively new one and will become more widely known among dunderheads as development in the continent gathers momentum. Guess that's why traffic is brought to a standstill on Bole (airport) road every other day when various African leaders fly in for a pow wow and why Gaddaffi has a special tent kept there just for him. Or, maybe he just likes the food and music.
the bandulu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: too many Africanexperts it seems... Reply with quote

I�m sure the Africaexpert would consider such cities as Bujumbura o N'Djamena more appropiate capitals for the continent...??
Oh, and YES, people DO rely on UN info quite a bit actually... not that this is OK, but that�s how it is I�m afraid...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addis has been widely considered the capital since OAU opened its offices there.

Who the $%#^@& is this "Africaexpert' ?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Who the $%#^@& is this "Africaexpert' ?

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: