Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadebugo,

Thank you. They said they'd get back to me within the week with a concrete offer. That's when I plan to make my final decision - I still have a few rather specific questions that I didn't ask during the interview. Because it was a panel interview, they used a speaker phone and the reception was somewhat unclear at times. The offer itself will tell me something. For example, if ADU is still offering below market salaries, then I'll know they aren't willing to pay the going rate.

I have other options if this doesn't work out. The world is my oyster!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaCHING

I got off line just after my last message. Interesting to read about your interview and we all await what kind of offer they come up with.

You asked me about hours. I think most places are between 15 and 20 contact hours these days.

Is anyone out there in the UAE doing more or less than that range? I'd be curious to know too. It has seemed that the teaching hours have been creeping upwards slowly over the years.

VS
JCMach1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently contact hours are 16 (if you count office hours) at AUS.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUD said 20 contact hours per week, so on the high end of normal.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JCM

Personally, I don't consider office hours to be contact hours. So, what are your actual contact hours then?

Are you in the IEP or the writing program? Edited: Oops forget this question since I saw on another thread that you are in English and Translation. I'm curious as to what sort of classes you teach there.

VS
JCMach1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the Dept. of English Language and Translation... I teach writing.

I believe IEP is at 20 contact hours...

I coordinate the Developmental Writing courses (COM 001) and teach the argumentation course (COM 102).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCM

Not surprised that the IEP is doing 20 hours; most places the hours have been creeping gradually up from 15 towards 20 for the last few years.

It sounds like your department could be very interesting. There is a crucial need for good translators between Arabic and English. The languages are so rhetorically different that a translation requires so much more than just the meanings of words and sentences, but an almost complete new presentation of the material. I couldn't begin to comment on how poor English to Arabic translations are, but I have slogged through a number of horrible Arabic to English translations. Smile

Is COM 001 a sort of 'bridge' course between the IEP writing classes and COM 101 course?

VS
Sharjahmite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: AUS IEP Contact hours Reply with quote

JCM guessed wrong about the IEP (American University of Sharjah) contact hours. Contact hours are 15 in the IEP. There are almost always paid "overload" hours available in the fall semester, but you are not obligated to take them. There are also usually additional paid opportunities to teach extra classes on campus (usually after normal working hours) in the Community Education program or for "Com" courses through the English Department (when their student-intake outruns their teaching-capacity). Some teachers here at the IEP almost always take on overloads for the extra cash, and some teachers almost never take them, but either way, the choice is theirs. Another point about the IEP and "working" hours is the fact that (unlike many other places around here), your time outside the classroom is pretty much your own. That is, if you teach 3 classes every day between 8:00 and 11:00 (that would be the 15 "contact" hours), and you don't have a meeting or an office-hour that day, you are free to leave the campus altogether right after your last class, or spend your time in the best way you see fit. You can go to the gym and work out or swim, work in your office on professional development or committee projects (or do that stuff at home if you are more comfortable doing it there), hang out at the Starbucks on campus, go to the library (a great one here by the way), or just vegetate in a quiet place (maybe a beach in Jumeirah?). For control-freak admin-types who may think that this degree of freedom is just awful and open to abuse....I defy them to find teachers who work harder than the ones here at AUS IEP. My belief (and borne out in our case) is that (generally speaking) people, who have a stake in keeping their workplace pleasant and free, work harder at their jobs.
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ignorance proceeds me...

I suppose it is only my poor overloaded colleagues who do 20hr. Razz

I really should get out of my own department sometimes!

However, I suspect if you counted meetings (which tend to be innumerable)....

Let's put it this way... there is MUCH committee work with AUS.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharjahmite,

Much good news about the situation at AUS. Nice to know that the administration gives the faculty the respect to realize that they can actually fulfill all their obligations without being chained to their desks and watched to make sure that they are working. This has been my pet peeve for years in the Gulf. Too many places seem to think that education is like secretarial or factory work. (HCT, ZU, and a few others come to mind)

The availability of extra work for extra pay is also a major perk.

Since I see that they are advertising for a new Director in the IEP for next year, I hope the new person keeps the majority of these positive operating standards. John Shannon has done a great job getting that department up and running. I have only met him once informally at TESOLArabia, but from all that I have heard from various people that have worked for him over the years, he can be very proud of his time there.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

To bring this thread back to its original topic of Abu Dhabi University. At the moment they are only hiring part timers for this academic year. Someone within the city told me that they are only taking people that already have visas (spouses).

There may be full time positions starting next September. But anyone interviewing with them should be sure of what time period you are talking about. Just in case you are hoping to start in January or February.

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Thank you for the heads-up.

I passed the interview and was told "a formal job offer will follow". I haven't seen that yet, and I'll make any decisions based on that, when / if it arrives.

I wonder if anyone at ADU is aware of this discussion or the posting on the JIJ.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

When you said a reasonable salary was 30 000 dollars a year, what brand of dollars did you mean? Also, what amount in AED would be a reasonable housing allowance?

I may be on my way...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

Sorry about that, this board has a tendency to talk in US$, which naturally fits in to my natural leanings. Embarassed I try to remember that, but often post on here either early in the morning or late in the evening.

I have no idea on current rental rates in Abu Dhabi. First off, I never paid my own rent when I lived there. Hopefully, someone who is currently paying their own rent will come on here. I know the tendency of employers is to give too little, if my past experience is a good example. Smile

Another problem may be that landlords used to ask for many months in advance. Can anyone tell us how these things are going these days? You may want to bring this problem up with any possible employer.

I have seen websites that discuss current rentals available in the Emirates. Do a little surfing and you should be able to get some idea of rental costs. These sites normally give the higher end of the market.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Usually when people on this board call me a male is when they are accusing me of something scurrilous. Smile

*AHEM* -- Usually when YOU call somebody a male you're accusing him of something scurrilous.

Fess up!

javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

*snicker*

Gotcha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: