Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Macedonia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csfek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Moving to Macedonia Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm going to be moving to Macedonia this fall to work there, probably making about 1500 euro a month. Can anyone give me any idea about the cost of living there, particularly in Skopje? E.g. how much can I expect to spend on food, cell phone, utilities, etc. Also, if anyone knows fun places to go or things to do while there, I'd appreciate information about that as well.

Thanks!
boxalldr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: SKOPJE: COST OF LIVING Reply with quote

Given that there are people in this desperately poor country who live on 100 euros a month, you are going to be able to live very well indeed. Three hundred and fifty euros a month was what most of my students were making.

COST OF LIVING: Last year, my total cost of living in Skopje came to a little under $12,000. That included a 350 euro per month apartment and utilities that ran me another 80 euros a month. Total cost of rent and utilities for 2006 was 237,000 denars. (Sorry about the multiple currencies. A good website for currency conversions is www.xe.com .)

TELEPHONE: The basic cost of a �fiksen� telephone from Makedonski Telekomunikatsii is 471 denars a month, which includes a certain number of free minutes. My �mobilen� costs me about 2000 denars a year, but then I almost never use it.

UTILITIES: As I mentioned above, my utilities are currently costing me 80 euros a month. If you get an apartment that is attached to the Toplifikacija hot water network, heating will be your biggest bill. I pay $35 a month all 12 months of the year � even though the system is only on for 6 months of the year. If you turn off all your radiators, you will still pay the same rather hefty amount. You�re paying for the availability of the heat, not for how much you use. That�s why there are no meters for Toplifikacija.

FOOD: My total food costs for 2006 were 217,000 denars. I almost never ate out. However, since most restaurants here cater to the local population, they are by expatriate standards quite cheap.

FUN PLACES: Better develop an appreciation for monasteries, with which this country is astonishingly well supplied.

It sounds like you got the job at Southeastern Europe University. Congratulations.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SKOPJE: COST OF LIVING Reply with quote

boxalldr wrote:
It sounds like you got the job at Southeastern Europe University. Congratulations.

Are you working there too?
boxalldr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Here is an afterthought on the subject of "fun places. Buy a copy of "Macedonia: The Brandt Travel Guide, by Thammy Evans." (ISBN #1 84162 089 0) It was published in 2004 and remains (I believe) the only travel guide to Macedonia in English.
csfek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the book recommendation. I've already ordered it, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks for your help!
boxalldr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is an unofficial website serving the interests and needs of U.S. diplomats.

http://www.ediplomat.com/np/post_reports/pr_mk.htm

Their article on Macedonia is extremely thorough; however one should bear in mind that it was last updated in 2002.

The CIA's article on Macedonia in its "World Factbook" is more up-to-date

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mk.html

but, unlike the article on ediplomat.com, it does not have much information likely to be useful to someone planning to move here.
csfek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative article--Thanks for the link!
mistael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the job market in Skopje? I know it's very poor but is it getting better since they are trying to get into the EU?
boxalldr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the ESL/EFL job market specifically, but I do know that the unemployment rate generally is around 30%, and the jobless rate in the 25-35 age group over 60%. Anyone who comes here and takes a teaching job should be aware that in so doing they would be depriving a Macedonian of a job. The only possible exception would be a position like the one recently advertised by SEEU, which was specifically designated "native speaker only".
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Macedonia ? Which one ? Last time I checked there were three of them !

Aegean Macedonia centred on Salonika.
Pirin Macedonia centred on Blagoevgard
Vardar Macedonia centred on Skopje.

Why is life so confusing in the Balkans ?
hennessym

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an experienced male celta teacher and would be grateful if anyone could give me any info about esl teaching in macedonnia - language schools, pay, conditions etc.
thanks
csfek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here a few months now, and while I'm not an expert on the EFL situation here, maybe I can help a little.
There are a few private universities where you could maybe find work, such as FON, and there's an American high school called NOVA that might be recruiting for next year (if you PM me I can give you the website, but I don't have at the moment). There seem to be plenty of language schools in Skopje, but most of the teachers there are locals, and I think the pay is really low.
I'm sorry I can't give more detailed information, but I hope that helps a little bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: