Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparing lesson plans for a business class: idea's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychedelic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Preparing lesson plans for a business class: idea's? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have to submit a lesson plan for a business class. (small class,the students work for a large,international company) Teaching materials are my choice..magazine and newspaper articles,etc. ** Can anyone give me some ideas/suggestions for putting a lesson plan(s) together? This is all new for me.

Thank you!!! Very Happy
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should add the country's name or your students' nationality as I can't see how you could be expected to be teaching identical things to students in different countries!
If your students happen to be Chinese, they will need a lot of basic information on how a free market operates, what a contract is, what WTO stands for, that laws are there to protect rather than inhibiting free enterprise.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: ideas or idea's ? Reply with quote

Maybe you can start by reviewing the use of the apostrophe in Contemporary English.
OR

Maybe it was a typo, but is seems to me that an increasing number of "native speakers" do not understand the use of the apostrophe to mark the possessive.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The students should be able to introduce themselves
as though they are on a business trip in the states.

This often takes place when the company sends them abroad
so this is a practical excercise as well.
Standing in front of a group of strangers and talking about
yourself is challenging and will probably take a lot of practice.

Also important is Telephone English.They probably will at some
time have to have an English conversation on the phone with
a native speaker.

These are just a few basic ideas to get you started.
Hope it helps. Very Happy
Sherri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What level are the students and what are their goals?
psychedelic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Preparing lesson plans for a business class: ideas? Reply with quote

scot47,
Dude, why don't you chill? Typo..okay? Geesh. How about reviewing and to?

Peace
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: my 2 Rubles for ya Reply with quote

Hello Psychedelic Cool

I've taught a few corporate classes myself over the years, including Intel Corp, British-American Tobacco and Coca-Cola, and I'm happy to offer you a few humble tips and suggestions.

One of the strategies that seems to work well for me is this: First, do a web-search on the company you'll be teaching for. Collect some recent press-releases, marketing reports, the annual report, and maybe even a chart which shows the company's stock values over the past year. I like to use http://news.google.com for collecting this kind of info.

Then ... after weeding out the good stuff from the bad, you can introduce one of the above documents, along with some specific vocabulary and/or grammar, and discuss it in more depth.

Another good idea: Find out, for example, who the main competitors are for THAT particular company, and consider presenting a lesson plan on the competitor. For Coca-Cola, it was easy: Can you say P E P S I ??

Business students are sometimes "wowed" by this kind of stuff, because it's interesting, relevant and always contains some useful tidbits and vocabulary related to their own company that they themselves didn't know about or understand fully.

Of course, you need to be very careful about keeping the lesson plan geared to the proficiency-level of your class, and this is sometimes easier said than done.

It's also a very good idea during the first class to play the 'doctor-patient' game with them ... in which you (as the doctor) find out from THEM (the patients) exactly how and when they actually use English in their day-to-day corporate life. Are they using it on the telephone, face-to-face with foreign managers, or writing emails? etc. With this information, you can now 'tailor' your lesson plans to better meet their needs.

Hope this helps. Cool

Warm regards,
kENt

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
psychedelic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Preparing lesson plans for a business class: ideas? Reply with quote

Roger,
Actually, if you look at my message you'll see that my location is Seoul..as in South Korea. My students nationality is Korean.

Good day
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: COREA ! Reply with quote

Get thou to the Korean Page, varlet !
Erica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Another thing you could try out is having them give you a virtual tour of the company, how things work, etc. just as they would do for a visiting foreigner to their company. Get them to anticipate the questions that the foreigner would ask and try to make replies to these questions. Get them to research a similar company (competitor) in another country and see if their mission statements and management styles are the same. This can be done through the internet.
It's also always good to go through negotiation styles, and specific cultural business styles. For example, someone from the west will be fairly blunt and to the point, whereas someone from Japan would consider this very insulting. Someone from Korea, on the other hand, may like to do business over lots of soju.
You may also want to think about describing trends and graphs - rising, peak, falling...etc and being able to say why.
Good luck. There are several good books out there, Business Basics is ok for low-intermediate level students.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: PS: a decent business text Reply with quote

PS: As Erica mentioned above, there are tons of business text books out there to choose from. One that I like in particular is: "Market Leader" by David Cotton, David Falvey and Simon Kent; published jointly by Longman and the Financial Times.

You can get additional info or order at: at www.market-leader.net

Regards,
kEnT
Showem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to know why you all don't go to the other forum, which has specific topics for business English, games & activities, teaching adults, teaching to deaf students, etc etc.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

Dear Showem:

Why? Because 'Business English' clearly falls within the boundaries of "General EFL Discussion Forum", which is exactly what this is.

Considering all of the off-topic, fluffy crap posted on this forum on a daily basis, I can't believe that I need to be here, defending Business English as an acceptable topic for discussion.

I feel sorry for Psychedelic, insofar as the majority of replies to his honest and legitimate question were met with less than helpful messages. Just calling 'em like I see 'em.

Regards,
kEnt
Showem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kent,

Does Business English fall clearly within the boundaries of Job Discussion/Employment? That's how I interpret this forum.

But to make up for my lack of advice, planning a lesson plan for a business based class should come after doing a needs analysis of the students. What do they need? Do they have to speak on the phone? Do they send emails? Do they attend meetings, give presentations, etc? Where do you see their weaknesses, grammar, vocab, pronunciation, etc? Base the lesson plan on the combination of the two. Concentrate mainly on one thing per lesson and make sure there is a variety of different things over the course; business skills, vocabulary building, fluency, grammar, etc etc.

My final advice is to post in the correct forum. I personally rarely check this one, as I have a job and am not looking for another one, nor do I enjoy the other "fluff" as Kent describes it.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: my interpretation only Reply with quote

Hello Showem Cool

Sorry if my first reply sounded a little harsh. Thank you for your input.

Now, I may be wrong on this, but when I read the small print under the main header entitled "General Discussion Forum", it says, and I quote: "a general discussion on teaching around the globe".

To me, that's pretty vague, and would imply that content-related EFL topics (like Business English) are OK, as well as discussions about finding jobs, reputable employers, crappy fluff Laughing , and the like.

Best wishes,
keNt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: