Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Networking, interviewing, and CVs

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it enough to just email a CV and photo?
I only send my CV
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I send a CV and a photo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I write a targeted email with a CV and a photo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I send a CV, standard Cover Letter and a photo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I send a CV, targeted Cover letter and a photo
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
I don't send a CV etc., unless I have already been personally asked to send one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I am not sure what to send
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know what you are talking about
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

bryanzth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Networking, interviewing, and CVs Reply with quote

Dear Group,

I have a question.

A member of the Per� Job Bulletin and I have been discussing resumes (CVs), networking, interviewing and other job-hunting techniques.

I would like to start a discussion on this board about the differences between these techniques as they are in the US, Canada and the UK and as we may find them in Per�. It could be that the differences could be completely unintuitive and we need to drill down to the realities. (I am a professional, and I would simply not countenance waltzing into a school or sending a blind email with a CV and photo attached. But I want to know what other people think and what has worked in the case of good and lasting jobs.)

(Note, I have just looked at section 1F in the Ultimate Per� List, and while I do see CV, cover letter, and all the mandatory items, I want this to be more of a discussion rather than just a checklist, OK?)

Typical Site: "Finding the Right Career: Job Networking, Informational Interviewing and Resumes"
{http://www.helpguide.org/life/finding_career_networking_resume_tips.htm}

If you can, please refer to the above article. The headings are listed below with questions I thought would be pertinent. So, here are some topics, questions, and comments for those who are listening and may wish to contribute. Are these as valid in Per� as they apparently are in North America and Europe?

* Beyond classified ads - Is sending a blind resume to a info email productive?
* Marketing yourself - Is self-promotion wise, or is it perceived as "pushy" or "rude" by Peruvian or Expat readers?
* Networking - Is it helpful to have a community of co-workers (employed and job-seekers) or is it enough to find a job on your own?
* Informational interviewing - Is it possible to get to know about a company without a job posting?
* Resumes - Are North American/European resumes different than Peruvian CVs?
* Cover letters - Can a cover letter introduce you, summarize your skills and attempt a trial close all in one, and is a cover letter as effective in Per� as it is in North America/Europe?
* Job Interview preparation & etiquette - Other than the obvious, are there some different Peruvian interview customs that a North American/European should know about?
* Behavioral interviewing - Can a better preparation for interview questions help you better foreground your experience and skills in almost any interview question?
* Creating a success story - Should you have a prepared Success Story for the question, "Tell me a little about yourself!" or should you just hope for the best and wing it? Again, is it rude to tell a success story in the right context?
* Closing the deal on a good job - Is it enough to present your qualifications, or is it important to exercise your negotiation and sales skills to ask for and get the job with the best possible compensation package? Is it rude to negotiate?
* Dealing with job rejection - Should you be bothered by a rejection, or is that an opportunity to learn how to do better the next time?
* Job issues for non-twenty somethings - Age discrimination is still rampant. Can an older worker really be a demonstrated advantage to a company? Should you market your age (whatever it is) and experience or should you reserve it for a private presentation?
* References and resources - (Here the article lists additional resources for you.) Are these resources North American/Europe-centric or do they also pertain to some or all of the Peruvian job market?

Pick one, pick more, but let's see how many pages we are on together regarding networking and interviewing. Please, tell us more than just yes/no answers. Here we go!

Best,

--Bryan
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Peru, you MUST send a photo with your CV. Everyone requests a photo, so I think that to make things easier, add a photo to your CV, that way you don't have to send two different attachments.

Also, here CVs have more info than in the USA for example. Here my husband has his DNI, or ID number, his civil status, address, phone, emails, age. He also adds all his reference info.

I prefer not to give away my address, CE, ID for foreigners, marital status, and write my DOB rather than my age. I also use my phone number, but my work email, not personal one.

I have a set cover letter, however, I change it a bit for every job, like where I found out about the job and specifics about the job, like if it's for a uni or a school.

I think that a blind CV might get a response, such as come in and we can discuss matters.

Self-promotion, to an extent is good, because here in Peru contacts are everything.

Networking helps a lot. I've had three jobs in Peru and all three of them we found through friends or expat listservs. By the same token, I've learnt which places to stay away from as well.

Getting info can be done through forums and listservs, like expatperu and livinginperu and the perujobbulletin. Emailing and PMing people is also useful, becaues it's more personal and people aren't worried that everyone will see what they have to say.

In my cover letter I give info about my education, work, how I teach, and what I hope to gain from working for the institute, ie advancement to managerial positions.

For my interviews, I've had two with a Peruvian and one with an American. Since I worked at a religious school, they asked me if I had a boyfriend and insinuated that I couldn't live with a boyfriend and had to be careful about my actions since it was a small town. With the other Peruvian interview, I was asked if I was Catholic, when I said only baptised, they asked if it would be a problem for me to work at a Catholic school, I said that I was there to teach English not relgion and would respect their beliefs, since as a Christian they're pretty similar. However, for me religious questions don't belong in the classroom.

YOu should prepare for interviews, do research about the company and be able to ask them questions.

Same goes for success stories, make sure that you can back it up with facts and figures.

I'd negotiate and go as far as to ask for double what you expect. Yes, you're getting paid more than Peruvians, however you probably have more expenses, flights home, student loans, credit cards, you'll pay higher prices in the markets. Also think of all the money you spent on your uni degree and TEFL course. I'm going to ask for much more than what I'm making this year, especially when finding out a new teacher came and is getting more than me with five years experience and (almost) an MA in TEFL. However, maybe it's because I'm not Catholic. SAd, but true. This is Peru, everything is negotiable.

Rejection, everything happens for a reason, there's something better for you around the corner.

Yes, market your experience, but not your age. For Peruvians, many times job adverts ask for single people under 25 or 35. That's becasue they don't want to pay you more. Older peole ask for more, however, I don't think that holds true for foreigners.

References. I give them copies of old references letters rather than contact info. Seems to satisfy them.

Great idea for a thread!
bryanzth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NatureGirl,

A great reply to a thread!!!

Anyone else, who else has some ideas, experience, interesting stories, and advice (particularly from peruanos/as).

See, the thing I am thinking of is, do North American job-search strategies work or do they fall flat... These kinds of considerations are not just for me, but for anyone who is doing a culture shift.

Man, I gotta reread your answers and put them to work this weekend.

Thanks, NatureGirl,

--Bryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: