Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Marrakesh/Casa
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeb016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Marrakesh/Casa Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

İm an English teacher currently serving out ten months hard labour with English Time adult schools in İstanbul. (7 day weeks, no holiday/sick pay, no work permit/rubbish system etc etc)

Once my sentence is up im looking to teach elsewhere and Morocco sounds like an interesting destination. Although the British Council appears to be a good employer, im wondering what people's general impressions of teaching there have been..? is there a big demand for teachers? are the private adult schools any good? Have these experiences been all that you have hoped for? reading through some previous postings seems to leave a mixed impression.

oh and about myself. im 26, tefl qualified with about a year's teaching experience. got a degree in french so the language should be kewl.

any help you could give at this point would be much appreciated.

michael
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost a tradition of teachers moving on from Turkey to Morocco.

I can say, the first thing is that Morocco is no way as laid back as Turkey, in any sense but especially religious wise etc. Morocco is more intense, more islamic as a generalisation, although walking around Casa, you will see plenty of exceptions to that. And, generally salaries are lower.

The Council pays well for Morocco, although I cannot categorically say it pays the highest. Marrakech is interesting, Casa is not.

With regards to schools, there is a small demand for Native Teachers. In real terms, not that many people want to teach in Morocco, so the supply meets the demand quite well. I do know that certain 'high end' organisations have had problems getting teachers to come out to Morocco in the past, but the average language intitutes do not as there are a ready supply of North Americans who come to Morocco as an alternative to Fortress Europe, where they find it hard to get visas in many cases.

Morocco is tough for single guys (obvious reasons), Turkey is def. more liberal in that regard.

Ramadam in Morocco is the real thing, not like in Turkey, locals take it very seriously.

Moroccans may be more friendly than many Turks, actually, they are a friendly bunch, but it takes a while to learn who to trust and who to be wary of.

Gotta be more careful of hygene issues in Morocco, not quite sub-saharan Africa style, but there are more bugs/Delhi bellies etc etc...

Less of an Exapt community in Morocco.

I have experience of both countries, and would say Turkey over Morocco for me any day, although Morocco may make more of "an experience" for you, as it were
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Morocco is tough for single guys (obvious reasons)" Sorry, but the reasons aren't obvious to me. All the male teachers I know in Morocco have their hands full with women. Local women. Lots of them.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I'm sure they're very happy, fair play.

In fact, why don't these guys let their other half move in with them? Invite the in-laws to the house warming too. Then again, if they really love their girlfriends, you'd think they'd just get married?

Yawn. Don't be so bloody PC Urban Kitten.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban_Kitten wrote:
"Morocco is tough for single guys (obvious reasons)" Sorry, but the reasons aren't obvious to me. All the male teachers I know in Morocco have their hands full with women. Local women. Lots of them.

Yes, they have 'their hands full' that is kinda my point....

No probs in finding women, the problems start after the first few dates AND/OR if you are caught alone with a local woman by neighbours or the police...but there are other threads on this, including' lets get it right about casa "

Yawn.....yeah I agree with Hod...
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how is that being PC?
Winston Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod & Twin Centre: you 2 are incredibly arrogant arses.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Urban Kitten, unlike Winston, you do at least contribute something on here, so you deserve a reply.

You can�t honestly say a western non-muslim male can freely date Moroccan women. There will be hassles from neighbours, her friends and relatives and even the police. To say otherwise is making out all is nice and rosey and pink and dare I say PC. Any such male saying he�s not had hassles is either lying or gay.

But you�re making out that the males in Rabat are fighting off the chics. Maybe they are, but how many of those relationships will still be going steady this time next year?

And Winston, Yawn.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I gave a fair appraisal of Morocco for the original poster of this thread, don't know why people get so hot under the collar about it....and anyone in Morocco who thinks a non-muslim westerner can feel rest assured to safetly date Moroccan girls, who are nearly always going to be Muslim, is treading a dangerous path. The issue was brought up in the context of comparison with Turkey, where it is quite possible to do that in the liberal elements of that society....

Do not learn the hard way, be aware that if the secret gets out, one will find themselves in alot of bother, with few exceptions.

Girls in Casa and Rabat can come across as being all sophisticated, liberal, Euro-French chic, as I have said before, even smoking and drinking whilst still being from middle class families, but underneath that exterior comes a compulsory 3 repeats of a certain sentence (the Islamic declaration of faith), a quite possible quick trip to the hospital for many guys (you can guess), and
a life time of playing a serious role in a large extended Moroccan family if you wanna take the relationship anywhere meaningful....

The above is fine if you are up for it of course, I do know a few westerners happly married in Morocco.

In the meantime, if you are caught alone with an unmarried Moroccan lady you will have alot of explaining to do to the Police and god knows what the family will do...

Please don't call me an **** for stating facts and asking for caution Winston Smile Why don't you contribute something useful since you are actually in Morocco right now, which I am not...or are you merely Urban Kitten's alter-ego, since you did post exactly 8 minutes after Kitten, which is quick for the slow pace of this forum...????
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical how such a serious thread degenerates into subject number one. Then again, just perhaps dating Moroccan totty is the one subject Africaexpert is not an authority on, or is she? Anyway, I'm dying to hear about Winston's finest hours with the Maroc ladies.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the kitten. The guys I taught with, even the fugly surly types with no discernable positive traits, had no end of female attention, and not all of it was the prim and proper type, if you get my drift. For every Moroccan guy who is hoping to snag an American woman and a visa outta there, there is a Moroccan gal scheming along those same lines, and many will do whatever necessary.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er yes Oasis, I know.....I agree with you too...

But my point, if you bothered to read before writing, was that a serious relationship with between a Foreign male and Moroccan female will be troublesome unless you are prepared to 100% do things the Moroccan/Islamic way.

I know what goes on, lived there for blummin' years, I am too aware of the scheming and desires to seek a better life...

Please read....reading is good for you.
steady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:

Please read....reading is good for you.

What fabulous advice, TwinCentre. Oasisdweller will be most grateful, I'm sure.
janem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: interesting discussion about western male/moroccan female!! Reply with quote

hi
i am trying to find out info about teaching in morocco and trawling through a long discussion about the joys/downsides of western male/moroccan female relationships has made interesting reading! after being in indonesia and now in kazakhstan i am quite used to the western guy/foreign girl situation and as i am a straight female dont have any worries about the problems you guys might find yourselves in!
have fun you guys, but just think of the hassle for the women left behind, when you leave to explore the delights of the women in the next foreign land!!!
steady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: