Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Marrakesh/Casa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting discussion about western male/moroccan femal Reply with quote

janem wrote:
hi
i am trying to find out info about teaching in morocco ....i am a straight female dont have any worries about the problems you guys might find yourselves in!

Teaching in Maroc is ace, all classrooms n stuff n more dirhams in your djellaba than you can shake a stick at. Come soon.

p.s. are you free on Thursdays?
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can say, the first thing is that Morocco is no way as laid back as Turkey, in any sense but especially religious wise etc. Morocco is more intense, more islamic as a generalisation, although walking around Casa, you will see plenty of exceptions to that. And, generally salaries are lower.

I think it depends who you are hanging out with and where you go. Outside the bigger cities in Turkey, even in places like Izmir, there are some real fundamentalists while in Morocco it is generally much more laid back in the countryside.
Quote:

The Council pays well for Morocco, although I cannot categorically say it pays the highest. Marrakech is interesting, Casa is not.

Casa actually is pretty interesting, just not pretty like Marrakech.

Quote:

Morocco is tough for single guys (obvious reasons), Turkey is def. more liberal in that regard.

I never heard anyone complaining, quite the contrary.

Quote:

Ramadam in Morocco is the real thing, not like in Turkey, locals take it very seriously.

Ramadan is a month-long party in Morocco! If you know where to look, you will see that not everybody observes Ramadan in Morocco. This becomes more apparent the longer you live in Morocco.
Quote:

Moroccans may be more friendly than many Turks, actually, they are a friendly bunch, but it takes a while to learn who to trust and who to be wary of.
Wouldn't that work the same anywhere in the world?
Quote:

Gotta be more careful of hygene issues in Morocco, not quite sub-saharan Africa style, but there are more bugs/Delhi bellies etc etc...

I don't know, but I'm sure some of that food sitting all day without benefit of refrigeration in the food stalls in Istanbul was rife with nasty bacteria.
Quote:

Less of an Exapt community in Morocco.

There are loads of expats in Rabat, and quite a few in Marrakech and Casa. Hash House Harriers in Rabat is a great way to meet some of them.

Quote:
...and anyone in Morocco who thinks a non-muslim westerner can feel rest assured to safetly date Moroccan girls, who are nearly always going to be Muslim, is treading a dangerous path. The issue was brought up in the context of comparison with Turkey, where it is quite possible to do that in the liberal elements of that society....

Do not learn the hard way, be aware that if the secret gets out, one will find themselves in alot of bother, with few exceptions.

All the guys I worked with, including some of the married ones, had quite a bit of attention from the Moroccan ladies; much more attention than they would have gotten from any of their own countrywomen, that's for sure. Not one of them was forced to marry, although some did marry Moroccan girls. I knew more than one foreign couple break up as a result of a third party that happened to be a Moroccan woman. There was the occasional ignorant hateful comment made to foreign men married to Moroccan women by ignorant Moroccan men who believe women to be property, but you are really misinforming people here. Sure there are some, even a lot of poor Moroccan girts scheming to marry and get out of a poor country and into a richer one, thus improving the situation for themselves and their family. Sure there are some people who are truly concerned about how others in the community see them when their daughter is known to be consorting with a foreigner. But very very few foreigners run into the problems you describe.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

Morocco is a great place for single guys

Ramadan is ace

It is clean

Casa is just as interesting as Marrakech.

Loads of expats, I mean loads....Rabat has loads of facilities to cater for the hordes of Exapts there...it is fab

Morocco is the kind of place you should really just come to, it's fabulous, and there is nothing that people need to be wary or forewarned of as it is so nice and so safe. I won't hear a bad word about it, I won't, I won't, I will not.

Morocco is just like Turkey...in fact better!

Last edited by TwinCentre on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasis, I was nodding along at your comments, and for the record I think you're a good reader, until this one came along:

[quote="Oasisdweller"]Ramadan is a month-long party in Morocco![quote]

waaaaitaminute......I'm prepared to accept that muslims look forward to Ramadan, and that fast-breaking thing must be fun in some kind of way. But for westerners brought up in non-muslim countries, no way. I felt sorry, no not sorry just contempt, for the non-muslim saddos I "worked" with at the BC who did the Ramadan fast thing, especially the girlies who unanimously phoned in sick to leave poor Hod covering all their classes. Ask yourself, the only worshipping I ever did was in the church of the most holy lagers, and if I ever tried pulling a sickie after fifteen pints, where would I have ended up? Probably late for every blinking class that�s where, and for the record I was only ever late on Saturdays.

Quote:
If you know where to look

Now why didn�t you say before? Spain. I had some great Ramadan moments in Marbella and couldn�t see the hardship myself.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that a few posters here cannot stand a poster with differing views from their own.
One wonders why on earth someone with this level of closed-mindedness would even want to leave the comforts of his home country.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit bloody harsh. TwinCentre is well open minded.

p.s. Africaexpert-used-hyphens-incorrectly-too. Welcome back, dear.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Hod on the question on Ramadan ... for Westerners looking for a party atmosphere, the best place to look is an EasyJet flight to Madrid. Ramadan is excruciatingly awful: 9/10 of anything worth being open is closed and, after 2 weeks of fasting, not smoking & not boinking, people get nasty. I've seen Westerners spat upon for openly drinking water during Ramadan. Why any Westerner would voluntarily fast and risk renal failure eludes me.

Alright ... it's 10:26. Winston should be commenting by 10:34.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't those westerners be somewhat discreet when they know Muslims are observing the fast? That's just rude.
I never had a problem adjusting to the fast, it seemed easier to me to go with the flow - you get invited to an awful lot of meals if you mention that you are fasting, therefore, you don't have to worry about what hours the shops are keeping. Why fight it?
btw, renal failure is usually caused by diabetes.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasisdweller wrote:
It seems that a few posters here cannot stand a poster with differing views from their own.
One wonders why on earth someone with this level of closed-mindedness would even want to leave the comforts of his home country.

Eh, Yeah, I'm well open-minded me...and it looked as tho' you were the one who could not bear an opinion that differed from your own I feel...

Actually, perhaps your rose-tinted view vs mine could be explained by the fact that I lived in Morocco for a veeeeeeerrrrrrry long time, spanning whole eras, several of them, another poster often takes the micky in complete disbelief at that! Because of my long aqaintance with Morocco, I am actually happy you are enjoying your stay there.

I have lived in more countries than you could shake a stick at dear, you have no idea of my age do you Smile))
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban_Kitten wrote:

Alright ... it's 10:26. Winston should be commenting by 10:34.

LOL nice one!
yustou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm interested in teaching in either morocco or turkey. would it be possible (in either destination) to save around us$400 a month and still live somewhat comfortably? by that i mean not having to watch every single dirham or lira etc. i dont drink, not much for clubs but do enjoy eating out on occasion. i've been to morocco before including casa and mara and had a good time.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one for clubs or eating out, huh? You�ll be fine in Casa.
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Oasisdweller ....

Quote:
Why wouldn't those westerners be somewhat discreet when they know Muslims are observing the fast?

I'm sorry, but these were people walking down a street in early October -when it is still awfully hot in Rabat - drinking from their bottles of water. Their decision to not submit their kidneys to the possibility of renal failure doesn't warrant this reaction (i.e. being spat upon) from fasting Muslims. Ramadan, among other things, is a test of faith. It should be difficult. Although I don't make it a habit of ostensibly eating in front of fasting Muslims, I am eqaully not going to go out of my way to protect their sensibilities and make the act of fasting easier for them.

Perhaps those Moroccans who choose to bring their kids to McDonalds where they gorge on Happy Meals should be on the receiving end of your opprobrium.
Oasisdweller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children are exempt from fasting during Ramadan.

And no one will get renal failure from going without water during the day if they intake liquids at night, as most Moroccans who fast do.

Last edited by Oasisdweller on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasisdweller is a breath of fresh air to this forum, and so much better than that ignoramus Africaexpert. What she knew about Maroc could be written on a postage stamp, and there�d still be room for the odd Moroccan recipe or two.

Saying that, even with such praise, oasis certainly comes out with some right old cobblers, e.g. Ramadan is a month-long party in Maroc. She then goes on to say it�s fine for Moroccans to gob on tourists drinking water during the holy month in deepest darkest downtown Rabat. If she wasn�t such an authority on renal failure and the prevalence of diabetes in the northern African region, well I�d probably be struggling to take her seriously at all.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: