Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to start in my search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Where to start in my search Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am currently investigating the possibility of teaching English is South or Central America. I was just wondering how to get started here. I've done a bit of searching and found about 15 possible places to teach. So far I've emailed pretty much every school that I am interested in, and I have only received 3 responses. Is email the best way to get ahold of people? I have called two of the schools and it seems to be the only way to get the attention of the school. Has anybody else found this to be true? Also, what are some good programs in Latin America? I've heard good things about Inlingua, and the Experiment in International Living.
I am attending my last year of college in the US and was hoping to be able to do some teaching next year. I will most likely not be getting a teaching certificate, because I don't plan to teach for more than a year (we'll see what happens there). I am most interested in Ecuador, Chile, and Peru. I would appreciate any advice that some of you more experienced folks can offer.

Thanks,

Jos�
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go and look for a job when you get there, you will get tons of responses!
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike say Asia, in Latin America it's very difficult to prearrange a job offering; you pretty much have to arrive in the counry as a visitor and look for work. Neutral
pharkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, although I am still a bit hestitant to just move down there before I have a job lined up. Are there any organizations who arrange jobs in advance?
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pharkas wrote:
Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, although I am still a bit hestitant to just move down there before I have a job lined up. Are there any organizations who arrange jobs in advance?

IAAP does... I think they're kind of a volunteer organisation, but you do get paid. You need to have some Spanish as part of the job requirement. Can't seem to get on their website just now, but I think it's www.iaap.com. Also, they may only be in Mexico, but give it a try...

Good luck!

Lozwich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: