Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What paperwork do I need? (British citizen)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichUK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: What paperwork do I need? (British citizen) Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm coming to teach English in Spain, and would like to establish what paperwork/registration I need to sort out when I'm there.

I worked in Germany and had to register with the local town hall and get a tax number. That was about it. Is it similar in Spain? I read in one of the forum posts something about an 'NIE number'. How/where do i get that? I'm going to Madrid so any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Smile
Moore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you don't need any: your EU passport is enough to open a bank account, buy a mobile phone etc. and serves as ID if stopped by police which doesn't happen to middle-class European types in any case.

Practically however, it's much easier to carry around the small credit-card sized ID card. You will use it most to accompany credit card payments and to get into buildings where you are teaching.

You get one by going to the Comisaria de Extranjeria on calle General Pardinas 90, (metro Nunez de Balboa/Lista) with your passport and a photocopy of the important pages, fill out a couple of forms and they give you a provisional ID number which you can use until they send you a letter telling you to come and pick up your finished ID card a few months later. Arm yourself with a very good book, a bottle of water and a heavy does of Zen-patience as the queue can be very very long. It is open from 9 until 7 closed from 2 until four for lunch. It closes on Friday afternoon.

You also need a social security number, which you can then apply for using this number. Just go to your local office and they will issue you with a yellow card. With this you can drop by your local medical centre and get a card which entitles you to free medical care (you can always go without the medical card, just with your EU passport and you'll be fine, but the card makes it a bit quicker and easier).
craftynick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this has all slightly changed now - they no longer issue NIE cards, you just get a certificate now.

All the details are on here http://www.barcelona-bound.com/2007/06/working-in-barcelona-nie-number-request.html

We went at 8am & managed to get finished by 11am - you just need your passport & a copy of it, & 2 copies of the form (the one on this web page is out of date but you can get 1 at the office).

As for the medical issue - in Barcelona they will only see you without a medical card as an emergency, for anything more regular you do need your card.

Hope this helps.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's all changed in the last couple of years but a couple of years ago I just went to the relevant office, filled in the forms, waited a couple of weeks and then went and collected it.

They assigned me a social security automatically when I started working and posted it out to my house.

On the subject of NIE numbers - I'm hoping these are for life and I wouldn't have to renew it if I returned to Spain to work (was issued it in 2004.) Anyone confirm?
JimRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number bit of the NIE is for life BUT every 5 years you have to renew it.

Like Moore says, they don't issue cards any more, you get a letter which states that you're a resident and is NOT proof of identity.

If you have to renew in Madrid, be prepared for 2 or 3 visits to the Police Station in Calle General Pardi�as. You'll get to queue up for about 4 or 5 hours (or more) on each visit.

I went through the process in January of this year. Thank God it only has to be done once every 5 years. The down side to the government withdrawing the little plastic card is that you now need some other type of Spanish photo id to show when you use your credit card or you have to carry your passport around with you.

Jim Ross,
EBC TEFL Training.
Victoria Morley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Jim�s right, I had to renew my NIE in May , I was in Gen. Pardi�as for a good 5 hours, only to find out that Spain doesn�t issue the plastic card (NIE card) anymore and as of April 2007 all renewals will receive a plain looking A4 certificate that clearly says that this piece of paper is not proof of identity and it just certifies that the NIE number on the cert. is mine! Really doesn't help a lot especially when I need to show a photo card id IE: when I pay with a credit card, banking stuff, etc

I have to have my passport with me all the time which I really don't want to do. Antyone knows or have used their UK photo driving license for identification in Spain? Cheers.
orangiey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info about the NIE is correct you have to queue from about 6am (we quesed for 6 hours), make sure you take photocopies of your passport! The office is near metro line Diego Leon.
Also to get free health care you need to go to the town hall in the area of Madrid you live in with a copy of your rental contract and passport and you get a certificate there and then from them (tell them it's the medical one you need) which you take to the GP in your area to sign on with the doctors which will also then send you a health card which you need with your passport if you go to ANY hospital for free treatment. I did all this and had my baby here in Madrid and din't pay a penny!
Any more info please ask, I live in Madrid and LOVE it.
carolynne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: med Reply with quote

Get your European medical card!!!! Or register with your local NHS equivalent doctor! I got attacked and nobody would operate on me (even though I'm English!) because I didn't have my card. Now I have a deformed hand - technically I could claim compensation but that may take my entire life (can you tell I really angry about this???) so I should have just registered. Oh well... Live and learn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: