Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Getting Started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_bonner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Just Getting Started Reply with quote

Hi,

for the past year I have been taking ESL certification classes at Duke University in NC. This April I will be completing my courses. I would like to arrive and begin teaching in China by May. Is this realistic?

Any recommendations on where to teach? I also have a questionaire related to teaching in China, where can I post it?

Smile
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jarel -

Make sure that you read the China section of my Job Information Journal at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?China

We are just beginning to get people over to these new forums, so you should also try your luck asking this at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jd2

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
j_bonner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Just Getting Started Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - it looks very interesting - have a great weekend Very Happy
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think May would be the best time. Your only choice for work would be a language school...and a language school certainly wouldn't be my recommendation to start your time in China for many reasons.
It is possible to find a job at a language school in May, but often language school may have a five week class. May would usually be in the middle of this I think. Then in the summer (after June, when school gets out) is the prime time for language schools, and they allwill want you. Of course it will also be very hot, and they will always pressure you to teach more.
Seiously, if you want to be a good teacher, and have no or very little teaching experience, I would recommend against starting at a language school. If you don't care about your teachingskills, and are just looking for a free place to sleep while you travel in China, mei you wenti. But teaching at a language school in the summer can be greuling
j_bonner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: teaching in china getting started Reply with quote

Hello Arioch36

thanks for the feedback. Do you have any recommendations on where to teach. The advise is greatly appreciated.
Jack Murray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Teaching in May Reply with quote

I agree that teaching in May may not be the best time to start. I run a private English School in Changchun (Perfect English) and the public schools don't get out until sometime in July. We offer a summer immersion program but it is not so tough as some might thing, three hours each morning, 5 days a week.

You can certainly pick and choose your schools and programs because certified North American teachers are at a premium. Just make sure you choose wisely and get an employment contract that clearly states what you must do and what they must do. Many schools are good, but many are not. Do not be afraid to take the time you need to research the school and area and you will do fine.

China is a great place to teach so take the time to do it right, rushing into something can only turn a potentially great experience sour.

If I can help you in your search contact me at [email protected]

Jack Murray
xiaoyu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when looking for jobs abroad, remember to check and double check... i have heard numerous good things about gateway village in zhuhai (southern china).... some tips from my experience... stay far, far away from ameson and shutong (shenyang)... translators of dalian has been given some good reviews.... best time to start would be probably in august or sept.... maybe go over early and travel a bit... for the entire time i was in china (which i loved!) i unfortunately never got to see xi'an or the great wall... you get busier than you think you will! Laughing good luck!
Stitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just came back from China with an awful experience. The company that I worked for, ACCIF (Australian-China Cultural Interchange Foundation) is an extremely disorganized, unprofessional, and dishonest company. I could write a 20 k msg about my experience, but here are some tips off the top of my head:

1) Get NUMEROUS references of past and present foreign teachers that have worked with your company/ school before you chose to go with them. Ask them lots of questions. If they can't provide you references or are sketchy, i'd be hesitant to go with them.

2) I don't mean to be racist, but from experience, Chinese people in managment of these types of organizations or companies that deal with placement of foreign teachers can't manage or take responsibility for anything.

Often, there are massive miscommunications issues, they can't interpret their own contracts correctly, they don't take responsibility for things that go wrong. In order to "save face" they'd rather just ignore the problem, lie, or just plain out fire you than to deal with a problem in a proffessional manner.

3) If you can help it, don't sign a contract with a company (even though they may place you in a school). If a company places you in a school, get a contract DIRECTLY with the school, not with the company. You'll be used as a "poster boy/girl" for the company and be brought to multiple schools just to "show off" and have pictures taken for your foreign face and exploit you. Make sure you have just ONE committment, teaching english at your school.

4) Read your contract and ask LOTS of questions about it to make sure everything is crystal clear. To check out some things your contract should have, look here: http://www.owdc.org/contract.html

Also, I was over at GLV for a month. Got my TEFL.cert there with Tefl international. If you can land a job at GLV, Zhuhai, I would definately recommend this place. The housing is good, the students are super nice, the environment is a good place to work, Zhuhai is a kick ass city.

That's all! Good luck with the job hunt!
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stitch is not the only one to have major...I mean big problems with this company. I would highly encourage people not to sign with a company , especially those that but buzz words like Canadian or Australian Chinese friendship group in their name.
Always contact and sign a contract with the school itself. One exception is if you go to work for an "established" chain good or bad. Then you may sign a contract with them, and they put you where they want.
I worked for a language school for a year, got paid on time, have no real complaints, though there were many promises they did not keep well, typical. But there was no support to help me adapt to China (though i had already lived there a year).
Also it is far more likely (from my experience) that you will be working illegally, ie they won't get you your z-visa, but just keep renewing your tourist visa.
If you have a real interest in working in Henan/zhengzhou area, you can e-mail me, I keep in touch with a girl who has worked at several local language schools recruiting foreigners. But I'll be gone a lot the next two weeks Of course if you tell them you will be there for the summer, they will be more interested.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed out before, summer recess is from June, perhaps mid-June, to end of August. During this season, many private teaching mills are chock-a-block full with, yes, kids that have to cram to get a head start for the next semester.

I advise you to start looking for a job during August for September and beyond.

ANd beware of any go-betweens! Don't hook yourself on an agent - they are only needed by schools whose bosses don't know how to cut redtape, and they will usually try to find a short-cut!

I can recommend American English Services (or is it "Education services"?). It is a training centre but it has a solid reputation and has many branches throughout the country!
They pay you better than public schools ordinarily do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: