Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL/ESOL Teaching prospects in Nebraska/Iowa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: EFL/ESOL Teaching prospects in Nebraska/Iowa? Reply with quote

I am new to this forum Smile and wondered if anyone knew what the EFL/ESOL teaching market is like in Nebraska/Iowa for a Brit with 7 years teaching experience. Thank you in advance. Aquarius.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely places to offer ESL programs in Nebraska and Iowa would be the major universities in those states: University of Nebraska (Lincoln), University of Nebraska (Omaha), University of Iowa and Iowa State University.

Those schools may have an American Language Institute or other centers for ESL. Check the Web for resources and information.
Sherri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquarius
Have you got a visa which allows you to work in the US?
S
aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Smile I have enquired at a few universities but they want an MA, which I could not afford to do! I am waiting for another type of visa which will enable me to work. I realise I need a visa before looking for work, I would just like to get some idea of what the ESL situation is like in that area beforehand. Aquarius.
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that most places want an MA at university level. Do you have a PCGE? You might be able to convert it into state licensure and teach ESL in the school system. Here are my fav job links--I am looking too, but am interested in all parts of the US!
Good luck

http://chronicle.com/jobs/

http://www.languagemagazine.com/jobshop/jobs/nebraska.html

http://www.languagemagazine.com/jobshop/jobs/iowa.html
aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information. I was surprised to find out that everywhere requires an MA. This is very different to ESOL job hunting in Britain. No I don't have a PGCE. Do you have an MA? Do you know of any MA courses you can recommend enquiring about? I would be interested in studying for an MA but on a part-time basis as it's expensive. Bye for Now, Aquarius.
Sherri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know, I used to teach both EFL and ESL in London (I was married to a Brit). An RSA was preferred almost everywhere. I have never taught in the States and am just in the research stage. I am about halfway through the University of Birmingham's distance MA and hope to have it completed by the time we get there. It's a good course but it is not cheap!

http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/

I think you can get work with a BA and a cert or dip but with a private language school. There is an ad for EF in California on Dave's today which only requires a cert. The trouble is as you well know I am sure, is that Iowa and Nebraska are not hubs of internationalism. So there are not as many private schools as somewhere like California. You could try a search for private schools from a student's perspective and see if you can find any in the areas you are interested in, then just show up and apply locally.

http://www.esl-guide.com/index.htm

If you can stand teaching kids you might find it cheaper to get a teaching license for ESL. There are lateral entry programs that you might be able to take advantage of.

http://www.recruitingteachers.org/index.html

You can see I have been thinking of every angle in my own job search!
aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherri, thank you very much for that information. You certainly are on the right track studying on the Birmingham Uni. MA course. How have you been getting on with distance learning? Wishing you all the best on your course. Aquarius.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: