Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA Job application
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukey

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: cnaq Reply with quote

wouldnt recommend cnaq as a place to teach efl - poor working atmosphere with present manager
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Is the issue one of growing pains, disorganization or incompetence? Do EFL teachers report to a Newfie?

Lukey, could you answer a few qs?

How many in-class hours/wk.
Total # of hours req'd to be available for all duties?
Payscale as a non-resident?

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
lukey

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: cnaq Reply with quote

all that you mentioned and more - as i said it is a very poor working atmosphere -
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Has anyone heard anything? Reply with quote

Has anyone been contacted as a result of an application that was sent in for the EFL job competition with the March 30th cut-off date?

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
ready2go

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: march 30th deadline Reply with quote

HI! I got my resume in just before the deadline and gave up as I hadn't heard in over 2 months. But I got an email last week and the first interview is coming up in two days. Glad to have some info about the interviews. Very Happy I am hearing from several sources about the management problems and am a little leary about committing to a three year contract IF I even get hired. Does anyone know what the incentive is to stay? Is there a bonus and or penalty?
THANKS!
lukey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

The benefits and salary are good at CNAQ - just be warned about the working atmosphere there. A toxic working atmosphere exists - due to the management style of the executive. A recent employee opinion survey made some of the abuse "public" in the EFL department. Basically the Dean of EFL was harassing and abusing employees all academic year - after the survey the VP Academics had to do something since others now knew. Before this the situation was ignored and allowed to continue. The Dean of EFL was "sacked" and used as a scapegoat - the root problems still exist there. Just beware of this before you accept a position there - go in there with your eyes open.
There is no end of service bonus - you get the same salary for three years - three instructors are taking the college to court to try and get the end of service bonus - imagine that - the college is going to court with its employees - that speaks volumes doesnt it? There are a few penalties if you quit mid-contract but not severe - you have to pay back some of the moving expense they gave you but that is about it.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EFL dept. is grim by Lukeys accounts. If I was new to the EFL world, I would steer clear. However, I'm not new, nor young. I have experience abroad in Africa, Asia, and Europe.

One time in Korea, there were a group of teachers in one rural school who were crumbling around me as they focused on the shortcomings of the director. Strong accusations against his disorganization and general distrust of him ran amok. Later, the director proved to be quite honest. Teachers accused him of inflating electricity bills, fudging the pay and not honoring promises. This was not the case. He had his own style of doing things and the intercultural differences created misunderstanding.

I stayed shy of the group and sat back and to some degree sided with the Korean director. One of the most vocal complaining teachers stole the school's towels, another cut short his own contract to suit his personal travel needs, another tried to unionize us to strike to get higher pay...and a few other things.

The funny thing is that one could say I had the most to complain about. My apartment's hot water wasn't working for 6 months, even though it was a brand new apt. I was threatened with a knife from the drunk man next door and I had company classes so I traveled in a car around the city throughout the day from class to class.

But I enjoyed Korea (beside the knife thing). I joined a gym to get a daily shower and got in shape as a result. The director agreed to give me the car for unlimited personal use if I paid the insurance. All the while, several of the others wallowed in whatever it is they wallow in. Asia can be tough on western sensibilites, even my own. Regardless, I made the best of it.

My point is that working in CNA-Q, if you have had little teaching and living experience abroad, then I can see how the mgmt may be unreasonable, problematic and downright irrititating. If you've been abroad, it might be a desirable place to work.

Having lived abroad with inconveniences and obstacles such as salary held back, health insurance cut-off, a deportation order owing to a paper mistake, cold apartments, 4 days holiday in one year at one particular school, ill-resourced schools, incompetent management, empty promises .....whoops, let me stop there.

Did I say 'incompetent management'. Hah, that could be just one issue in an EFL teacher's daily life.

I note my request for CNAQ working hours/pay-scale/in-class hrs was ignored but we are told about a law-suit. Did the employees have a contract stating that they were to get a bonus and then didn't get it?

So, now that I think about it, what is the benefit to others of your posts?
Is it to warn us of a toxic, harrassing and abusive administration? You've done that in several postings on this thread already with no detail or informative comments.

May I suggest you start your own rant where you can anonymously say anything to vent what's wrong with your job. I'm not doubting there are things wrong at CNAQ or indeed what you say may be accurate. I would appreciate the discussion of it.

This thread is about the application process.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
lukey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

To Mytrunkshow

Ok - point taken - good luck with your application. Also you can ask the nice ladies in recruiting the questions about hours of work etc. i am sure they would be delighted to tell you.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion to contact HR. Perhaps I'm naive but I perhaps inccorectly assume that calling HR might be construed as a pest. However, I may need to get over that idea and just call them again.

I did call twice once and they were super friendly and helpful.

By the way lukey, there is likely a group of people who would benefit from a thread on tips to navigate how to best stay out of trouble at CNA-Q. Refrain from insinuating or naming names or the thread will get yanked as we saw with FrznGuru's thread a few weeks ago. (You can't view it now as it was pulled off the forums promptly after being posted.)

I welcome and encourage you to start a thread from your experience. There is already a built-in audience of potential hires that are thirsty for such info.
I've rec'd several priv. msgs from several job seekers who are as keen as I am to get the skinny on the place. I'm sure there is more out there.
Help us out, wudja, please.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I missed the cut.

I have heard from one of the posters that the interviews have taken place. Could there still be a chance for those not contacted? Perhaps, but too much time has elapsed and there are too many unknowns.

I'm sure my resume was not up to the standard so next year, I'll get on that important piece of paper with more rigor and effort.

Good luck to those who've had interviews.

Personally, I'm completing the final year of an MA in linguistics through USQueensland. Perhaps I'll be more desirable next May/June in 2008.

The way I see being employed at CNA-Q is that the EFL position is for 3 years with a 2 year extension. After the 5th year, the tax situation makes it undesirable. I'll need to look into this more but if this is true, than it does not matter if I begin my 5 years this year, next year or even the following year. I'm very fortunate to presently work in a family school with a happy work environment so extending my stay here in TW is a nice aternative.

Regardless, after I eventually arrive in Doha, I'll find out this 5 year issue and assess it at such time.

Regards,
Mytrunkshow
lukey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

Well Mytrunkshow - maybe if you get a job next year - they might have an executive that can actually lead the college - hopefully by then.
The starting contract is three years - with a possiblity of an extension based on performance - some this year got one, the rest a two year extension. The five year tax situation only applies if you are a Canadian resident - if you are a non-resident it is a non-issue - you could stay as long as the college wants you.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNA has contacted me this week and the hiring is not yet completed for the EFL position.

"Shortlisting will be completed shortly", was the gist of the message I rec'd in an email.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for those who've pm'd me and others who are still waiting.

Best wishes,
Mytrunkshow
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: The call came. Reply with quote

Finally, 4 months after the application cut off date, I get a 'techincal interview'.

Lukey was correct about last minute. I see there is additional hiring in HR now to presumably complement the existing staff.

Here in Asia, I'm signed into a contract for Sept 01 in Taiwan.

I've also just begun a new company class which is in dire need of my services.

If selected by CNA-Q, I'm gonna accept. However, I'll be forced to leave my employers and colleagues in the lurch with the short notice. My head is gonna roll here in E. Asia.

Looks like I'll be burning bridges.

Thanx for listening.

Mytrunkshow Rolling Eyes
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the interview...

It went poorly.

Got the rejection letter today.

Good luck to others.

mytrunkshow.
lukey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: job Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad - you are probably better off where you are. Its funny - i can remember two- three years ago CNAQ was hiring spouses of CNA employees who had taken online TEFL courses as EFL instructors - my how things have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: