Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

I figured you meant US dollars, but thought I should check anyway. AUD offered me the equivalent of a little more than USD 26000 so it's on the low side. I'll look into the housing costs.

I fired off an email with some questions but haven't gotten a response yet. We'll see...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

If it is only $26,000 and they don't provide you with a flat, I would avoid the place totally. Paying your own rent out of $26,000 would make it poverty level pay - in Emirates EFL terms. After all, over ten years ago, HCT paid me $34,000 plus provided me with a new, large two bedroom flat and over $8000 (30,000 DHs) to furnish it. Don't sell yourself cheap!! Smile

Bindair Dundat

Haven't seen you here for awhile. And you have known me enough years to know about all the nasties that I may accuse various males of --- Shocked --- and well deserved they usually are ---

But gee, some of my best friends are even male--- Cool

VS
well-travelled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with veiled sentiments on this one. Eight thousand dirhams a month for someone with an MA is very low in terms of the going rate for EFL teachers at tertiary level in the UAE. And there seems to be a suggestion that they don't pay for your accommodation. If that's the case -although I'd be surprised if it was - then I don't see how you could live on such a low wage. Accommodation is expensive in the UAE, as is the cost of living in general.

well-travelled
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a housing allowance of AED 30 000 per year, a furniture allowance of AED 12 000 over three years, and a relocation allowance of AED 3 000. Medical insurance (with unspecified co-pay), annual air tickets, 50% tuition discount on ADU courses, six weeks annual leave, and end of service gratuity round off the benefits. This is all in addition to the monthly salary. Low, I gather, but I don't have any ME experience.

Anyway, I (ahem) have other irons in the fire and am stalling. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

Glad to hear that a number of irons are resting in the fire. Smile

I guess it isn't surprising that a new place is towards the bottom of the offers. If you want to check into flat prices, I just went onto the Gulf News site and it had a long list of flats for rent with prices. The allowance was towards the bottom of the prices as expected. With a bit of time and effort, I'm sure that a nice place can be found for that price, but the problem is that you get there and it is 45 degrees and you don't know the areas and it is such a slog!! Be sure to ask them about the fact that AD landlords tend to want all the money up front - or at least many months paid in advance. Type Abu Dhabi real estate into Google and look around.

Do they plan to pay the housing allowance by year?? As in, next year we can buy a sofa?? At HCT, they paid the 30,000 up front and if you stayed X years (was it 4?) you didn't have to pay any of it back, but if you left earlier there was a sliding scale of payback.

Leave is on the short side, too. Be sure to ask about semester break. HCT made a try at charging the semester break against annual leave. I have never quite figured out why they want you to hang about in the heat of summer with no students and normally not a dang thing to do but clean your desk and surf the net.

It is not an awful package, but added to the fact that it is new and disorganized - thus to be saddled with extra hassles for the teachers - hopefully a better option will arrive. Choice is good!!

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like a bad package, I agree. Just, well, uninspiring.

I fired off another email asking about getting an apartment instead of an allowance, pointing out as you did, that I don't know the area and would have difficulty finding a place to live on my own. No more than the truth. No response as of yet, but it's the weekend over there, I think. As for the hassle aspect of the situation, I have an utter horror of being bored. I don't think I'd be in too much danger of that!

I have an interview with a uni in Turkey on Monday, and another Emirati school the following week, hee hee hee.
abudhabi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Flat prices in Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Some people at MLI are going through the process of trying to find flats in Abu Dhabi - we are given an allowance target of 70,000 dirhams to shop around for. Some have found reasonable 2 to 3 bedroom flats in good areas for this price - getting the admin to pay for it is a problem, but that is another story on another thread. Looking at a Gulf Today newspaper I see some 1 to 2 bedroom flats are available for 30000 dirhams in the Hamadan street area which is central. What state the flats are in and whether you'd like to stay there is another matter. Remember, Abu Dhbi is a microcosm of the world in some ways with 3rd world prices and conditions available for the 3rd world workers alongside better offerings. Don't know if 30000 dirhams will get you the standard of living you want. The furniture allowance is 30000 and I doubt you'll be satisfied with the 12000 without dipping a lot into your own pocket. Also, most flats are available on yearly rents - money up front.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks abudhabi -- if MLI, not known for any extremes of generosity these days, offers 70,000Dhs -- that means that it is probably the minimum for someone that wants to live like a Western expat (versus what the sub-continentals are offered).

Hey, Ka-CHING, not good news. Unfortunately, your ADU offer looks less and less attractive. Sad

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my concerns are rising. I asked to be given housing rather than a housing allowance but still no reply. In an earlier email, I had asked for clarification of my duties (i.e. what classes I'd be teaching) and was told the matter had been referred to the director of the language institute, but I haven't heard back about that either.

Oh, well. The Turkish interview is in a few hours and the other one next week. I like challenges but I'm not a martyr.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo deleted.

Last edited by Ka-CHING! on Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Can I sue for harrassment? Reply with quote

Just kidding I think . . .

To recap, I applied to ADU in November after seeing their advertisement on Dave's. I filled out the website form and sent materials via regular mail. After doing this, I saw all the negative comments about them and when offered an interview, informed them that I wasn't interested anymore. I also told them to disregard my application materials that would be arriving soon.

Today, I receive another e-mail from them thanking me for sending the materials, instructing me to fill out the website application, and trying to arrange another interview. Apparently, they're not having any success in recruiting.

I wonder why!
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadebugo,

Hmmm, interesting.

Like I said earlier, I sent two emails asking some very specific questions. The first one was answered in part, with the more specific questions being referred to the director of the language centre. The second email hasn't been answered at all. I'm not sure if they think that I've accepted the offer - I haven't and won't until I get satisfactory replies to my enquiries.

New places *always* have growing pains. That is not news. What's happening at ADU seems to be beyond that.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just had email from them asking for convenient times for a telephone interview. I guess there is no harm in speaking to them. This thread has made me think. Seems like I'll be going back to Turkey if all is to be believed. Nothing wrong with that
kaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Not to put a downer on things Reply with quote

Just to add my bit - which I often do - as many regulars here will tell you (and of curse those on the Oman site)

They are desperate - or should that be Desperate with a capital 'D'. I have on two separate occasions been offered a phone interview but have turned them down twice as am working elsewhere.
Having worked in the M.E. and at a 'new' university I am very disinclined to suggest anyone does the same. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Anyway that's all I have to say on the matter for the time being - have to go as I can hear a nice cold beer calling my name.

Happy New year everyone - let's see what 2004 will bring.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: 'Desperate' is too mild a word! Reply with quote

Here's my timeline:

11/1--See ad and respond via e-mail. Told to send materials to arrive no later than 11/10. Send the materials next day.

11/10--Told that materials not yet received. Regardless, offered an interview the next day. In the interim, I had researched Dave's and decided to terminate my application. I inform ADU that I'm not interested anymore. No interview.

12/9--Receive e-mail stating that materials have been received and they want to offer an interview. Ignore the e-mail.

This morning--Receive another e-mail stating that I have passed the initial screening and would be scheduled for an interview. Send an e-mail stating that I am already working elsewhere.

These people remind me of myself when pursuing a certain young female in the past!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: