Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking a job with AUS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Taking a job with AUS Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions for those of you experienced with the Dubai/Sharjah area.

In August, I will be taking a Composition/Language/Lit. position with American University Sharjah... I have several questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First, do any of you have knowlege or experience with AUS?

Secondly, will it be better to purchase or lease a car (a necessity I understand for living in University City)? What will that cost?

Thirdly, are there any good schools for my children under 28,000 Dirhams per year? I would also like them to learn Arabic if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: AUS Reply with quote

Hi JC...

I see you took my advice, now hopefully someone from AUS with children will show up.

I had a friend who taught Freshman Comp 1 there and I know that she had quite a large number of students. I also saw a presentation by a woman at TESOL Arabia a couple of years ago where the woman had come up with a correction system for her 100 students. I thought that I was overworked with about 35 - though from seeing her sample papers their level was certainly higher than mine.

Everyone seems to buy a car. It is certainly the cheapest way in the long run. Cars are relatively cheap there since there are no import duties. (For instance, a basic car like a Corolla will cost about $4-5000 less than the same model in the US) Cars are easy to sell when you decide to leave. Normally whenever I left one of those countries, it took me about 2 days or less to find a buyer for a Japanese car that had 'female western expat' driver. Many people buy used cars, but I always bought a new one because I didn't want to deal with service or breakdowns. Many people get a 4WD to go out into the desert and mountains during the weekends. Living anywhere in the Gulf is pretty much like living in American suburbia - a car is pretty much a necessity to have a life.

I hope you're ready for the heat and humidity. Cool
JCMach1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: The students I will be teaching will have come through Reply with quote

AUS' ESL program. Class-size should be limited to 25 (We'll see Rolling Eyes ).

My expertise is in Comp/Rhetoric, but I also have 12 Graduate hrs. in ESL.

My last two teaching location were Midland, TX and N. Florida. Heat and humidity are old friends (especially Texas where Summer temps were always 100+-- sometimes 110+)

I am really looking forward to living as an expat for awhile!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: schools Reply with quote

I am interested in the question of the cost of education. Here in KSA Western Province, western education for children is 26,000 and upwards. Highest is about 36,000 (riyals approx the same as Emirati Dirham.)

Why so expensive ? Well these schools are businesses and the owners expect a return on their capital !!!

Personally I still find the idea of education (or health) as a business not quite right. The free market in EVERYTHING ?

Last edited by Albulbul on Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: School fees in the UAE Reply with quote

What is a good school? Many people who teach in Sharjah send their children to school in Dubai. You don't say which academic model you want your children to follow. The American schools, Grade 1 upwards were AED40,540 per child last academic year and the prices have gone up considerably recently. The English curriculum schools are cheaper at around AED30,000+ depending on the age of the child. The English curriculum schools also offer the IB. AUS should be able to give you information about schools or you can find them on the internet. You will need to register your child as soon as possible if you want a place for next academic year, unless there is an exodus from the UAE due to the current situation.
JCMach1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone know about the 'Al Mawakeb' school? Reply with quote

It sounded interesting because of the English, Arabic, and French instruction.

I am looking mainly for an American model school-- simply because the calendar will work well with my University.

Also, AUS will pay 28,000AED of the tuition...
Albulbul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: education Reply with quote

Maybe you should consider other possibilities ? I mean not just a rigidly American curricum. In Jeddah some colleagues sent their children to the Italian School or to the French School. I do not know if anything like this is available in Dubai. Should be something.
Sharjahmite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: AUS is a nice place for families Reply with quote

Hi,
I teach in the Intensive English Program at AUS. I've taught in the usual places in the States, Asia and the Middle East and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than here, especially if you are with a family. My kids go to a private school in Sharjah which although it is a British system, it is very, very good. My kids are in 1st and 4th grades and I don't really think the question of whether it's British or American at that age is such a big deal. Even for the higher grades, a British curriculum is not entirely without its merits. In our program, the contact hours are very reasonable (three 50 minute classes a day) and there is no requirement that you have to stick around if your work is done (which is great for your family life). We also get about 3 months off for the summer plus the usual Eid breaks. We have a very competent, professional group of teachers and to be blunt, a great director. We work very hard here (in fact, I know of no place where the teachers work harder than we do), but we are very independent and allowed to be professionals (I guess that's why we put so much into it). The educational package is plenty for your kids if you stick to the UK schools in town. People have problems when they feel they must use the American school in Dubai which charges an arm and a leg. For the most part, the British schools in Sharjah are much better than what I would get in the public schools back home in the US. As an added note, you and your spouse (or university-aged kids) can also take university courses here for free (i.e., your spouse could go full-time here, but you are allowed a course each semester--more than that, it is figured would detrimentally affect your teaching). Your family is covered medically. We have a clinic on campus (as a matter of fact, in the same building as the IEP). You live on campus, which is like living in a great big park. There are trees, gardens, playgrounds, swimming pool, sports complex, daycare/preschool and aftercare for kids. The town houses we live in are nice (with fast LAN connection), there is a Starbucks, small grocery, fast food, internet cafe, fantastic library (it's real..not censored like in Saudi and is complete with CD and video collection) plus other similar stuff right here on campus within walking distance of housing and work. Our lifestyle tends to drive younger singles/childless couples mad because it is "boring," but if you have a family, chances are that you will find it ideal. Friends of mine that work in HCT, UGRU, and Zayed are usually green after seeing our total package. I guess it sounds like I'm trying to recruit or something, but not really, it's the way it is here. Hope this helps.
Sharjahmite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: AUS is a nice place for families Reply with quote

Hi,
I teach in the Intensive English Program at AUS. I've taught in the usual places in the States, Asia and the Middle East and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than here, especially if you are with a family. My kids go to a private school in Sharjah which although it is a British system, it is very, very good. My kids are in 1st and 4th grades and I don't really think the question of whether it's British or American at that age is such a big deal. Even for the higher grades, a British curriculum is not entirely without its merits. In our program, the contact hours are very reasonable (three 50 minute classes a day) and there is no requirement that you have to stick around if your work is done (which is great for your family life). We also get about 3 months off for the summer plus the usual Eid breaks. We have a very competent, professional group of teachers and to be blunt, a great director. We work very hard here (in fact, I know of no place where the teachers work harder than we do), but we are very independent and allowed to be professionals (I guess that's why we put so much into it). The educational package is plenty for your kids if you stick to the UK schools in town. People have problems when they feel they must use the American school in Dubai which charges an arm and a leg. For the most part, the British schools in Sharjah are much better than what I would get in the public schools back home in the US. As an added note, you and your spouse (or university-aged kids) can also take university courses here for free (i.e., your spouse could go full-time here, but you are allowed a course each semester--more than that, it is figured would detrimentally affect your teaching). Your family is covered medically. We have a clinic on campus (as a matter of fact, in the same building as the IEP). You live on campus, which is like living in a great big park. There are trees, gardens, playgrounds, swimming pool, sports complex, daycare/preschool and aftercare for kids. The town houses we live in are nice (with fast LAN connection), there is a Starbucks, small grocery, fast food, internet cafe, fantastic library (it's real..not censored like in Saudi and is complete with CD and video collection) plus other similar stuff right here on campus within walking distance of housing and work. Our lifestyle tends to drive younger singles/childless couples mad because it is "boring," but if you have a family, chances are that you will find it ideal. Friends of mine that work in HCT, UGRU, and Zayed are usually green after seeing our total package. I guess it sounds like I'm trying to recruit or something, but not really, it's the way it is here. Hope this helps.
JCMach1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Sharjahmite-- Reply with quote

I sent you a PM...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: