Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Croatia info... Dubrovnik "does it rock?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greengiant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Croatia info... Dubrovnik "does it rock?" Reply with quote

Hey there. I have seen very little info on Croatia. But, I would love to go and teach there. Does anyone know anything. I heard that Dubrovnik rocks but I don't know. Also, are there any people with dreads over there or will mine freak people out and make me scary.
thanks
jamesfromscotland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are black ..big problems,,sorry
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Dubrovnik Reply with quote

Not many black, dreadlocked Serbs around there, then.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubrovnik is in Croatia. The Serbians all left some time ago. Under duress.
ramble right

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: dubrovnik v. zadar, split Reply with quote

What makes Dubrovnik appealing is its walled-city-of-stone aspect. What makes it not appealing, is the high number of tourist busloads arriving daily.

If you want the pedestrians-only walled-city aesthetic, Zadar (also on the coast, many hours north of Dubrovnik by bus) offers the same, but with significantly less tourists. And it has a sea organ! I don't know about EFL opportunities there, however. Could be something like foreign buyers' property speculation: build a hotel in a not-yet-common tourist town, and they will come; show up as the town's only English teacher and they will come?

Another Croatian hotspot that beats Dubrovnik is Split; it's main attraction is Diocletian's Palace, which is downright amazing. Split is historically a port town, and a has seen tourism for eons, so it might have some potential for EFL.

In my experience, Croatians have some damn fine English skills, and attractive towns aren't particularly inexpensive to live in. The best approach to working in EFL there has got to be the appeal of location, not income.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the infestation by tourists is similar to Venice, Prague or Edinburgh. Yuk !
Vanica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: dubrovnik v. zadar, split Reply with quote

ramble right wrote:
In my experience, Croatians have some damn fine English skills...

Thanks.
Eamonn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say 'it rocks' really - i was there 8 years ago. Going back again this April for a week in Dubrovnik and a week in Kotor maybe. I'd never have picked Dubrovnik for EFL opportunities though. Maybe Montenegro/Albania would be better for you if you want something around the Adriatic?
Eamonn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps! just saw topic is shy of 3 years old Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: